PDA

View Full Version : weston master 111 (3)

robert fallis
26-May-2008, 06:19
I'm thinking of buying a weston master 111 does anyone know what ASA settings are available on it, as I wish to use it with paper negs

bob

Justin Cormack
26-May-2008, 07:00
My Master V goes from 0.1 to 16000 ASA! - suspect the 3 is similar.

IanG
26-May-2008, 07:31
The III is quite different to the Master. It uses Weston film settings for film speed. I have Sngamo Weston's 1961 Advert open beside me, as I write. It goes to 5,000 Weston (New) whichis the same as ASA/BS arith, the II uses a different Westo system.

Beware also the cells don't often read fully after this length of time, that goes for later models like the IV's and V's as well.

Ian

BrianShaw
26-May-2008, 07:48
I'm no expert in Weston meters, but I thought the Master II was the last to show Weston numbers. I've used a couple of Weston IIIs, though for the past 25 years.

My Master III (in front of me now) has Exposure Index (ASA) from .1 to 3.2M

EDIT: There may be a difference between the black and chrome-colored Weston IIIs. The black one was British-built and the silver was US-built. Notice that the black one is clearly marked "Weston Rating" but the silver one is not:

http://diaxa.nfshost.com/weston/westonthree.htm

EDIT: My Master IIIs are all silver colored.

robert fallis
26-May-2008, 08:10
thanks everybody that's what I needed to know have put a bid on the thing

bob

IanG
26-May-2008, 08:44
Brian, the photograph in the Sangamo Weston III advert is clearly marked as Weston speeds, as is the wording in the advert, but of course as the speeds are BS/ASA they may well have changed the markings on the scale.

Ian

Chauncey Walden
26-May-2008, 09:49
I have a dozen or so Westons, and have looked at a lot more, and it has been my experience that a II or III is more likely to be still working (and can often be found near new in the original box with wrapped cord and everything for $10) than is a IV or V. I like them for use with older cameras and lenses that aren't marked in the current scale of speeds. For those, I have a Euromaster and a Euromaster II. I should probably have a V rebuilt while the service is still available.

Justin Cormack
26-May-2008, 10:00
Who rebuilds them? How much is it? I have a dead V as well as a live one.

Mark_C
26-May-2008, 11:19
all the answers can be found here
http://www.johndesq.com/westonmaster/

Scott Sharp
26-May-2008, 11:29
I'd recommend Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, California. They've worked on a Weston III, a V and my Euromaster. Usually the selenium cell needs to be replaced or the meter needs to be re-calibrated. They did an excellent job. Do a search under their name to read comments on their services.
Address: QUALITY LIGHT METRIC CO.

7095 Hollywood Blvd. #550, Hollywood, CA 90028

Phone: 323-467-2265