PDA

View Full Version : Can tripods be carried on an airplane?

Ron Marshall
25-May-2008, 22:11
Are small travel tripods currently permitted on US domestic flights as carry-on luggage?

Donald Miller
25-May-2008, 22:45
I don't know about domestic but I have traveled with my carbon fiber included in checked baggage internationally.

Anupam
25-May-2008, 23:28
No. It's a potential weapon.

That's what I was told.

QT Luong
25-May-2008, 23:54
Two weeks ago I carried a Gitzo 1228 on United from CT to CA. I would actually have prefered to check it, but my case was close to the 50 lbs limit.

David A. Goldfarb
26-May-2008, 02:00
I always check mine, usually in a Tenba TTP 34 case, but if it's the little one, I can fit it in my suitcase.

eric black
26-May-2008, 07:14
I have at times checked mine, but have also carried it on board- with the head removed. I have never been questioned to this day.

Terence McDonagh
26-May-2008, 08:11
I check it if I'm checking a bag, but have had it in my carry-on many times without problem. I take the tripod head off as well. Looks less threatening and folds up smaller that way.

Louie Powell
26-May-2008, 08:13
Several months ago I was traveling out of Los Angeles and overheard a couple of TSA inspectors discussing this very subject.

The two TSA-types didn't agree on the issue of tripods. One thought that they were too "club like" and therefore should not be allowed, while the other thought they were OK. So if the rules are so vague that those responsible for enforcing them don't know what is right, then the rest of us face an even greater challenge.

My solution has always been to opt for putting the tripod in a bag that I intend to check. That way, I know what I am going to do before I leave for the airport. I don't want to have to deal with the last minute scramble that would result if I tried the carry-on option, was denied, and had to find a way to check the tripod.

Also, tripods have a finite weight, and putting the tripod into checked luggage reduces the weight that goes on my back by a few pounds. That little bit of weight makes a difference if you are making a connection in Atlanta or Ohare and have to walk several miles.

BrianShaw
26-May-2008, 08:27
The two TSA-types didn't agree on the issue of tripods. One thought that they were too "club like" and therefore should not be allowed, while the other thought they were OK. So if the rules are so vague that those responsible for enforcing them don't know what is right, then the rest of us face an even greater challenge.

The rules on phohibited items don't seem to be vague at all (www.tsa.gov). The understanding and interpretation of the rules may be vague, though. There is no mention of tripods being prohibited, not any mention of "club-like" as a criteria (although one could read that into the rules by the prohibitions on "club-like" sporting equipment that are specifically prohibited. Unfortunately for us travelers, whatever the TSA folks at the gate say, at the time we are there, is what we have to live by... whether they make sense or not.

p.s. I've frequently carried monopods on with no problem at all. Well, except for that one time at Heathrow (coming into the country!) when the security folks were convinced it was an antenna of some kind. They couldn't imagine how a one-legged device could possibly be used to hold up a camera. :)

Darren H
26-May-2008, 11:01
I have carried a small Feisol 3401 carbon fiber on board at a folded 18" or so it seems ok. I put it in my carryon and they never even looked twice at it. When I carry the Gitzo 1325 (also CF), I always put it in checked luggage as it is 29" long with ballhead. Note, on about 2/3 of the flights I take I find a TSA inspection paper in my checked bag, so I believe the larger size of that tripod does draw attention. But based on my experience a small CF tripod should be fine in a carry on.

BTW-I think it may come down to what your tripod is made of. I think TSA is more leery of metal than carbon fiber. So if you have a aluminum tripod, it may force you bag to be checked, but I think carbon fiber should be ok.

Good luck.

mrladewig
27-May-2008, 13:14
No. It's a potential weapon.

That's what I was told.

I carried my Velbon 630 in its case on a flight yesterday. No problem. If you'll have the tripod out, I think a case is a very good idea.

I carried my monopod in my carry on for many years when I was traveling 100% for my job. The monopod went in my bag through 10 countries and about 30 different airports.

DJGainer
27-May-2008, 19:03
Just a thought, most human beings know what a tripod is and what it is used for. I can't imagine any TSA employee in his/her right mind feeling that a tripd poses a threat.

BrianShaw
27-May-2008, 19:09
Sure... but remember that these are the folks that fear shampoo and purified water in quantities greater than 3 ounces.

sanking
27-May-2008, 20:09
The rules on phohibited items don't seem to be vague at all (www.tsa.gov). The understanding and interpretation of the rules may be vague, though. There is no mention of tripods being prohibited, not any mention of "club-like" as a criteria (although one could read that into the rules by the prohibitions on "club-like" sporting equipment that are specifically prohibited.

I don't know what the rules say, but I have had masking tape taken from me on boarding, with the explanation that it was a potential weapon in that it could be used to tie someone's hands. If anyone could see a danger in masking tape, they sure could see a danger in a large heavy object with angular features, often including spiked legs. For that reason alone I always put the tripod in checked luggage. In fact, I would probably put it in checked luggage anyway because carrying on board any more weight than necessary can be very tiring on long trips with multiple transfers which often involve much walking.

Sandy King

Frank Petronio
27-May-2008, 20:16
I think swinging my Gitzo into someone's head would be very effective. The next time the TSA lets some Koran chanting Mullahs onto my flight I'll be pissed it's in the hold.

BrianShaw
28-May-2008, 07:15
I don't know what the rules say, but ...

There is no doubt that you are correct in your assertations and your bottom line that it might be better to check a tripod... but I'd rather do it for the convenience factor rather than the potential weapon factor.

The "rulemakers" are probably doing us all a disservice by trying too hard when they make the list of prohibited items -- the list simply looks too precise. Neither tripods nor tape are on the list of prohibited items, yet both could be perceived as a potential weapon using fairly elemetary common-sense. Interestingly, there are other items that common-sense indicates could be used as weapons that are "allowed": knitting needles, wrenches and screwdrivers (less than 7 inches in length), and scissors (blade less than 4 inches).

p.s. to Petronio... why fret over not having a tripod whaen you can have these things at your disposal???

Frank Petronio
28-May-2008, 07:24
Yeah once my wife and I had to go to a Federal Bldg for adoption photos and the x-ray security guy stole my new mini Leatherman with the 1" blade. But afterwards my wife realized that they allowed her bag to pass and she had several 12-inch long metal knitting needles in it.

Security is a joke and all we've done is Federalize thousands of idiots into having well paid, highly benefited jobs that they can never be fired from and will continue to drain tax revenue for the remainder of the time the nation is viable.

QT Luong
28-May-2008, 10:46
There is a point in carrying a tripod with you. If your luggage is delayed, will you be able to work ? For that reason, even if I check the tripod, I always carry the head. A set of usable legs are easier to find locally than a good ball head with built-in Arca-style QR. Some airport buildings are quite interesting too (eg. http://www.terragalleria.com/california/picture.usca35134.html)

Christopher Hansen
28-May-2008, 20:23
I often carry-on a tripod on both domestic and international flights from the U.S. and I have never had a problem with the TSA.

sanking
28-May-2008, 20:35
There is a point in carrying a tripod with you. If your luggage is delayed, will you be able to work ? For that reason, even if I check the tripod, I always carry the head. A set of usable legs are easier to find locally than a good ball head with built-in Arca-style QR. http://www.terragalleria.com/california/picture.usca35134.html)

Very good point.

Sandy King

r.e.
28-May-2008, 20:45
Like Mr. Hansen, I have carried a tripod onto planes several times without any issue. These have been flights between LaGuardia and various points in Canada, between Canada and Paris, and within Canada.

It is quite clear that carrying a tripod on a plane falls within the rules and personally I have not run into any security person who did not understand this. That said, I separate the ballhead from the tripod, the former going either in my carry-on camera bag or in my checked baggage.

I also put the tripod into my checked baggage if it is convenient. I'd just as soon not carry it unless there are good reasons to, and despite the fact that it is legal, I want to avoid the possibility of getting into a debate about it.

Cheers

Brian K
30-May-2008, 07:29
The problem is that many of the security rules are at the discretion of the security official. You may carry your tripod on plane 20 times with no problem but you can be sure if there is a problem it will happen at the worst possible time.

On my last international trip I carried 2 tripods each with ballheads, packed in 2 different checked bags.