PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Super Tecnika V

BigSteveG
23-May-2008, 23:44
Does anyone know, or can point me to the specs on this camera. They don't seem to be listed on the Linhof site. Also checked Cameraquest as well.

douglas antonio
24-May-2008, 00:46
best is to have a look at cameraquest.com or get hold of the linhof book of cameras.
what specs do you actually need? the V is close to the master except for the angle of tilt on the lens standard which was improved from 15 deg to 30 IIRC.
the rise was improved for wide angle by integrating a flap in the housing.

David A. Goldfarb
24-May-2008, 01:56
I think that about sums it up. The main reasons to prefer a MT over a V would be that the MT will be newer, or if you plan to use one of the latest superwide lenses in the 72-90mm range that can take advantage of the flap on top. Otherwise, the V is less costly, and you can put the savings into other lenses, a CLA, or having lenses cammed. I have a V.

Internally, some of the parts are different, particularly those associated with the rear movements that had to be redesigned to accommodate the flap. The build of the rear posts on the V seems a bit heavier than they are on the MT, but the V back usually locks with these heavy spring buttons that are a bit harder to operate than the sliding locks on the MT.

My V and I think some of the earlier MTs have a block on the baseboard with two pins for attaching a cable release. That cable release attachment hasn't been made for years, but if you can find one (or ideally a few, so you have spares), it works with the current Linhof cable releases, and is kind of a handy thing, so you can close the camera with a cable release attached to the lens.

Bob Salomon
24-May-2008, 03:35
"but if you can find one (or ideally a few, so you have spares), it works with the current Linhof cable releases, and is kind of a handy thing, so you can close the camera with a cable release attached to the lens."

No it doesn't. That is why the block is no longer there. The company that made the cable release that had the two pins to mount it to the block went out of business decades ago.

As for specs on the V the OP can call us and we can give him the info he is looking for. Call 800 735 4373. But I will be out next week. I can also bring the info to the Ft. Collins show if he will be there.

Bob Salomon
24-May-2008, 03:36
Does anyone know, or can point me to the specs on this camera. They don't seem to be listed on the Linhof site. Also checked Cameraquest as well.

Why didn't you check with us? I could have given the specs to you on the phone during the week.

Brian Ellis
24-May-2008, 07:37
Why didn't you check with us? I could have given the specs to you on the phone during the week.

Maybe he didn't happen to know that HP Marketing is the U.S. distributor of Linhof products in the U.S. Or if he did, maybe he assumed that if the U.S. distributor had the specs they would have been posted on the U.S. distributor's web site. Or even if he knew the specs were available by phone, maybe it struck him as a rather antiquated way of doing business to have to sit there with pencil in hand writing down the specs for a camera while the distributor dictated them to him over the phone.

In the 21st century many companies post specs for their products, past and present, on their web sites when they have them available. See, e.g., the Schneider web site for a model of how some companies provide information about older products (and current products of course) on their web sites.

Ron Marshall
24-May-2008, 08:44
Linhof Technika info:

http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

David A. Goldfarb
24-May-2008, 09:29
"but if you can find one (or ideally a few, so you have spares), it works with the current Linhof cable releases, and is kind of a handy thing, so you can close the camera with a cable release attached to the lens."

No it doesn't. That is why the block is no longer there. The company that made the cable release that had the two pins to mount it to the block went out of business decades ago.

The old cable release comes out from the collar with the two pins, and the collar will hold a modern Linhof cable release, so if you can find an old cable release with the pins, even if it doesn't otherwise work, it is easy to slip the release out from the collar and use a new cable Linhof release with it. I have two or three of these collars, and I use them. I'm traveling at the moment, but when I get back home in a few weeks, I can post a picture.

BigSteveG
24-May-2008, 10:27
Thanks Bob....I didn't post until late Friday night. Now I know where to go for Linhof info.

David A. Goldfarb
20-Jun-2008, 09:34
Here's the photo as promised. The light colored cable release is a vintage Linhof cable release with the collar that has the two attachment pins for connecting the release to the camera bed (presuming you have the socket with two holes on your Technika). The collar slips off and fits perfectly on a new Linhof cable release, such as the black one shown below, and it works with the camera. The collar is plastic, so it's a good idea to try to find a few of the old releases for spare collars, if you can.