PDA

View Full Version : Brown box disappointment: advice needed

Mike Tuomey
23-May-2008, 19:48
I was delighted to find a big brown box at the house this afternoon: my first 4x5 camera, a Horseman LE. Carefully unwrapping the components, I assembled the camera only to find the following despite representations to the contrary from the seller:

1. the front standard has no focus knob and the zero detents for shift, tilt, and swing do not work at all

2. the rear standard is missing its bubble level

3. one of the tilt locking knobs is missing the "horseman - japan" insert

4. overall, the camera has more minor wear than I was led to believe

Arguably, #3 & #4 are cosmetic and #2 doesn't seem really important, but #1 seems to me to be pretty significant. My research indicates that detents are one of the features horseman cameras are known for.

This is an eBay purchase (would like not to identify the seller at this point).

Am I justified in being disappointed? I've emailed the seller asking to have a return/ refund or restitution discussion. What do you think?

Any thoughts you might have will be appreciated.

Ron Marshall
23-May-2008, 19:53
If it is not as the seller represented it to you, then I would ask for a refund.

I have had good luck with Ebay, but I always ask lots of questions and clarify the return policy beforehand.

Good luck!

Mike Tuomey
23-May-2008, 20:23
thanks, ron. i'm in the process of doing so. i'll report any progress.

Mike Tuomey
24-May-2008, 12:18
seller has indicated he will refund upon return of the camera. now, if anyone has a horseman LE or a sinar F2 that's looking for a good home ...

Ron Marshall
24-May-2008, 15:12
seller has indicated he will refund upon return of the camera. now, if anyone has a horseman LE or a sinar F2 that's looking for a good home ...

Have you checked at KEH and Midwest Photo?

Mike Tuomey
25-May-2008, 03:51
thanks, ron. keh has a "bgn" LE that i nearly purchased; mpex has none at the moment according to Jim. i've changed my tune and am going with a Toyo G from a very gracious member who responded to my "wtb" in the Sale/Buy forum.