PDA

View Full Version : Noob cont., How hot is too hot for film in the field ?

Tim k
21-May-2008, 16:55
Guys,

I am still in the process of gathering up things for my first LF venture out into the real world, (but I'm getting very close). And I am sitting here looking outside, and its hot, and my film is just nice and safe in the fridge.

This got me to thinking, should I take the fridge with me, or should I just stay inside? Its not uncommon to get well over a hundred this time of year, and I have no feel whatsoever as to what temperature is going to make my new lil green boxes unhappy.

Thanks for your time.
Tim K

David A. Goldfarb
21-May-2008, 17:43
If you can stand it, the film can stand it. If you're not shooting catalogues with color slide film that's been tested for color balance and filtering accordingly, you don't really need to worry about, say, spending six months shooting in a hot climate.

Alan Davenport
21-May-2008, 17:46
When your skin begins to smoke, boil and slough off, then it's too hot for film in the field.

The reason for keeping film in cold storage is to slow the natural chemical reactions which age the emulsion. Film is just fine for use in the real world.

Tim k
22-May-2008, 13:25
Thanks guys, this is all good news. I was all stressed about this.

Now, I have to find a new thing to stress over. Shouldn't be hard.

Thanks again

Pat Kearns
23-May-2008, 10:20
Go to Wal Mart and get a collapsable cooler on wheels made by California Innovations. Put some bottled water on ice with your film in a ziplock bag. Your film will thank you for the coolness and being in Arizonia your body will thank you for the ice water. :D

lenser
23-May-2008, 10:49
Several years ago, I spent three weeks shooting out west in some pretty bad heat. I kept all the film in a medium Igloo cooler with a damp towel draped over the cooler at all times. It acted like a primitive evaporating air conditioning unit. I was always amazed at how cool the film boxes felt when I took them out. Unlike having the film inside with ice, or cold anything; there was no risk of humidity form what ever was causing the cooling to reach the film.. In short, no possible condensation. Good luck.

Tim

Tim k
23-May-2008, 10:56
Go to Wal Mart and get a collapsable cooler on wheels made by California Innovations. Put some bottled water on ice with your film in a ziplock bag. Your film will thank you for the coolness and being in Arizonia your body will thank you for the ice water. :D

Pat, I was looking at them yesterday.