PDA

View Full Version : The Ted Harris Memorial Weekend, June 5 to 8

Bruce Barlow
21-May-2008, 14:54
First of all, no matter where you are June 5 to 8, please try to make a picture Ted would have liked, and post it at www.tedharrismemorial.org (courtesy of Dave Parker). Think of Ted. Maybe later, raise a glass (responsibly), and toast a departed friend.

As for Richard Ritter and me, we'll be out photographing in Vermont and New Hampshire, researching new places to take Fine Focus Workshop attendees. Here's the link to the details:

http://www.finefocusworkshops.com/fall.html?x=104&y=13

We think it's a pretty good lineup of places to go, and we invite you to join us for any or all of it. Feel free to email me with any questions: BBarlow690@aol.com.

This is not a workshop. There is no cost. There will be, we hope, a good time.

We hope to see you.

John Bowen
22-May-2008, 03:55
looking forward to this...

Ken Lee
22-May-2008, 07:47
Me too

dpetersen
25-May-2008, 20:08
Wish I could be there, but time and distance make it impossible. I will, however, participate in the THMW Iowa edition.

Dick Petersen
Clinton, Iowa

Bruce Barlow
26-May-2008, 07:33
Please note that for those who can make it, details are at www.finefocusworkshops.com.

But good for you, Dick! Participate however you can, wherever you are. Thanks!

Gustavo
26-May-2008, 17:33
Will be working on it !

Dave Jeffery
31-May-2008, 03:08
"no matter where you are June 5 to 8, please try to make a picture Ted would have liked"

Although a picture that "Ted would have liked" may not be possible for me to produce I am hiking down the Tanner Trail at the Grand Canyon and will dedicate the June 5th sunrise shoot of the green Colorado river curving in front of the purple Unkar Delta to Ted Harris. Although I never met him personally I was one of the many people lurking on this site that benefited greatly from Ted's extensive knowledge and kindness.

Imagine how nice the internet would be if everyone were to communicate as Ted Harris did. That's what makes a great man.

What are you shooting June 5th to 8th?

Have Fun!

Dave Jeffery

John Bowen
31-May-2008, 04:06
I'll be in NH & VT for the "shoot". The weather looks typical New England...some sun, some clouds, some rain. Should be excellent for the itinerary Bruce & Richard have put together for us.

Oh, and Dave, Ted would have really liked your image of the Grand Canyon. I look forward to veiwing it on the Ted Harris site.

John Bowen
31-May-2008, 04:30
A suggestion for Ted Harris Memorial images. Ted had at least two projects that were left unfinished. One was to photograph every covered bridge in VT and NH. The other was to photograph "Mail Pouch Tobacco" barns. At least I think they were "Mail Pouch Tobacco" barns....perhaps it was some other 1950's type icon like "Coca Cola" barns. Ted wanted to document these wonderful old structures before they totally disappeared from the American Landscape.

Anyhow, if you happen to have such a barn in your area please make an image of it and post it on the Ted Harris website. I just know Ted would really appreciate those images.

ASRafferty
31-May-2008, 05:15
Thanks, John and Dave... He was, indeed, interested in images that would preserve, and not just at the level of the sentimental and the nostalgic (though he could be both when he wasn't working!). I believe his motivation went through preservation and all the way to conservation. I think he felt something of a responsibility to make an image so perfect that it would compel anyone who saw it to do whatever it takes to save everything in it -- not just the "thing," but the possibility that the moment as he found it would be there at all for others to see and love.

I think he was drawn to the work of others that made him feel gratitude and celebration that the moment was there for them to find, as well as a sense of importance that it not disappear.

He was always sorry that he couldn't go everywhere and see everything, and I know how much he would have wanted to celebrate this particular weekend with people with whom he could rejoice. I'll see those of you who land in Enfield with Bruce and Richard on Saturday, and am very much looking forward to seeing the images from "shoots" elsewhere. If the happiness you felt when you took the photo shows, you can be sure Ted would have loved it.

Amy

Dave Jeffery
1-Jun-2008, 14:38
"Oh, and Dave, Ted would have really liked your image of the Grand Canyon. I look forward to veiwing it on the Ted Harris site."

I'll send something in when I get the film back. Thanks!

The weather looks good and I'm out the door so enjoy the memorial shoot everyone!

Best Regards,
Dave Jeffery

Bruce Barlow
2-Jun-2008, 04:58
Weather looks good here, too. Rain Wednesday should clear out in time for Marlow's Odd Fellows Hall Thursday morning.

Those wandering to there might do well to pack a lunch - there's not a lot nearby, and the convenience store tends not to have a lot of experience with voracious photographers.

We're looking forward to it!

Clay Turtle
3-Jun-2008, 15:30
I'm not sure of what Ted liked to shoot, is there a site where some of his favorite photo's reside?

ASRafferty
4-Jun-2008, 03:42
Clay, easiest is to go to http://homepage.mac.com/tedharris/Menu5.html

... unfinished, but representative.

Also see www.fourpointlanding.com, for his more "dynamic" favorite studies, the animals. He took all of the photos on that site, from the one on the About Us page to the SPCA puppies.

RichardRitter
8-Jun-2008, 13:44
Graffiti found in cover bridge this weekend.

ASRafferty
8-Jun-2008, 13:52
Thank you, Richard... I was so stunned when Bruce showed me this yesterday... that you should have found it on a covered bridge during a "memorial shoot" is almost too much to absorb.

It was great seeing the "Connecticut River Contingent" yesterday... thanks for including Enfield in your itinerary. :)

Graffiti found in cover bridge this weekend.

Bruce Barlow
8-Jun-2008, 15:56
For those who don't know, one of Ted's big projects was to photograph every covered bridge in New Hampshire. To find the graffitti in a covered bridge just shows that the gods were on our side.

Thanks to everyone who participated...wherever you may have been. We had a good time here in New England.

Post your Ted picture at www.tedharrismemorial.org, and thanks.

Bill_1856
9-Jun-2008, 06:04
I couldn't figure out how to post it, and it weren't very good nohow, but I did "shoot one for Ted."

fuegocito
9-Jun-2008, 09:56
Sorry I couldn't come up for the weekend's drinking/shooting gathering, I did fired off the shutter a few times in memory of Ted, image posted in memorial site...

Robert

Bill_1856
9-Jun-2008, 15:36
My Memorial Weekend picture sucked, so here's Ted from the FF Workshop 2006

ASRafferty
9-Jun-2008, 16:20
Nice picture, Bill, thanks...it's one I wouldn't have had otherwise. :)

Amy

dpetersen
10-Jun-2008, 18:04
Since I don't have a URL to post from, I'll post my image here rather than the memorial site. Please let me know if I can attach a picture at the memorial site.
I read that Ted liked old barns with Mail Pouch tobacco or Coca-Cola signs. I've never seen a Mail Pouch tobacco sign, but we have plenty of Coke signs. This one resides on the side of a building in downtown Clinton, Iowa and is surrounded by LOTS of visual clutter. Hence I have only used part of the sign for an abstract effect. At least that's what my intention was.
Dick Petersen
Clinton, Iowa

ASRafferty
11-Jun-2008, 02:13
Dick, I appreciate your thinking of Ted when you took this... we actually have family in Clinton, and it would have been just like him to build a visit with you into a trip out there someday!

Thanks,
Amy

Gustavo
15-Jun-2008, 17:36
I am sorry guys I ma behind been sick but I will get it together