PDA

View Full Version : matte paper experience

franklphoto
21-May-2008, 10:21
is anyone printing with this surface? why? benefits?

domenico Foschi
21-May-2008, 10:48
To me using matter paper is exactly what you call it: an experience.
I tend to see the physical piece of paper not just as a support for the image but as an object and the matt finish has always attracted me the most.
To me there is nothing more beautiful ( I am exaggerating now) like a matt surface with charcoaly(?) greys.
BUT, this is me.
If you think matt surface might attract you buy some and remember that every maker has different matt surface, so...explore.
Technically matt paper won't be able to give you those true blacks that a glossy medium is capable of.
It really depends if true black are important in your images.

vintage racer
21-May-2008, 10:54
I only use the FB matte for hand coloring portraits with marshall oils.

franklphoto
21-May-2008, 10:58
i feel it give more of a pshysical graphic quality

Mark Woods
21-May-2008, 11:19
I really dislike the lack of tonal range with muddy blacks.

Vaughn
21-May-2008, 12:28
One also has to take into consideration the difference between the surfaces of RC and Fiber papers. While I would rarely use a matte Fiber paper over glossy Fiber, I would use a matte RC paper over a glossy RC (even for proofs).

Vaughn

Michael Graves
21-May-2008, 14:18
I think matte works quite well for some images. The Varycon is the paper I use for matte prints. But to me, matte is the breaking of the rule.

Gary L. Quay
23-May-2008, 04:41
I think matte works quite well for some images. The Varycon is the paper I use for matte prints. But to me, matte is the breaking of the rule.

Agreed. I use matte for images that it looks good on. It's about 20% of my work. Some prints look awful, but some (pun intended) shine.

--Gary

Mark Woods
23-May-2008, 07:55
DannL, very pretty photo.

Gregg Cook
23-May-2008, 22:14
i agree with the all matte for proofs.

final prints watch the tonal range and print for what ya want.