PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Bubriski article in View Camera Mag May/June 1993

Claudia
19-Jan-2001, 01:25
Hello everyone,

A friend and I are trying to find any details on the methods used by this photog rapher. We need to locate the above article quickly. If anyone has a back issue and can send me any details (film/developer etc.) I would be so grateful.

Here is a site that has some of his work..

http://www.lydarose.com/art/artists/bubriski.html

If the article does not contain any details, can someone tell by looking at the pictures how this look/tone was created.

Thank you,

Claudia.

Pete Andrews
19-Jan-2001, 05:42
It's all in the printing, by the look of it. They first two prints on that webpage are obviously manipulated to make the subject stand out from the background.There's no chemical shortcut through special film or developer. You just have to become a darned fine printer, working from nicely lit and composed negatives.

Doug McFarland
19-Jan-2001, 06:54
I would have to agree with Pete. Flash, burn, bleach and tone at the hands of an accomplished printer would seem to answer the question.

I find more and more that a major part of the final image comes from good darkroom.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
19-Jan-2001, 09:26
FWIW As I recall he spent more time in the article talking about the why then the how. I do recall he used Polaroid with a Wista or Speed Graphic and I don't recall him detailing printing technique at all. The first shot has a wider than normal lens. How soos do you need this?

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
19-Jan-2001, 09:37
Here it is...

"I work with a field camera which conveniently folds up for packing and carrying for months in a porter's basket....The tent doubled as a space for shelter, as well as the darkroomfor loading and unloading film holders and washing Polaroid Type 55 negatives."

There's a tiny bit more but nothing on what you ask. His address is listed as: Kevin Bubriski East Street P.O. Box 559 Shaftsbury, VT 05262 Phone is (802)442-4516 Why not contact him directly? He was suppossed to be publishing a book with these images.

Ellis Vener
19-Jan-2001, 17:00
From looking at the photos on the website URL you provided I would say there are two things going on; a wonderful sense of light , the lighting conditions the photos are made in and very strong printing skills. Trying to figure out what film/developer he used, won't get you there. Mostly I think the qualty of the images is in the seeing, the vision of the photographer. The toanl qualities (long scale lots of detail in the high lights) is indicative of the negative portion of Polaroid Type 55.

Brian Ellis
20-Jan-2001, 14:36
When you refer to his "methods" do you mena the equipment, technique, etc. or do you mean his ways of approaching the people, photographing them, etc.? If you mean the equipment, in the article he says he uses a "field camera." He talks about sheet film but doesn't say what kind of film. He also speaks of using Polaroid type 55 (positive/negative) film. He says he used the type 55 film so that he could give pictures to the persons he photographed. This sounds a little odd since that kind of film has to be exposed for either the negative or the positive and he presumably was exposing for the negative so the positives must not have been very good. That's about it for his equipment. He discusses how he approaces the people, etc. but since I'm not sure that's what you mean by "method," I won'd repeat all of that here. If you're interested, send me a e mail. I'd scan the article for you but I don't have a scanner large enough to handle it.

Claudia
20-Jan-2001, 21:47
Many thanks to all who helped. Especially Sean for sending me the article.

The more I learn from you guys the more I understand that pictures like these are created more out of the relationship between subject and photographer, and the unique skill and artistry of the person behind the lens. And not some magical film/camera combination etc.

Thanks,

Claudia

emily dobson
23-Mar-2001, 19:08
I am a former student of Kevin's and I would say to answer your question Claudia that Kevin is a very controlled and tight photographer. That is -he has beautiful negatives and most definitely dodges and burns in the darkroom...His prints are flawless in real life and the web pages do not do the prints justice.