PDA

View Full Version : Canham 45 DLC or Chamonix 4x5

GSX4
21-May-2008, 07:04
Okay, I've owned a few 4x5's in my time, and currently am using a Canham DLC 4x5. While I like using the DLC, I find that in the colder months (I live in MN) that the camera is not always easy to use, and also, in colder weather I find I have to really tighten the knobs a lot to make the camera stay where I put it, or the camera may slip. I also do not need the really long bellows draw as I sold my 360mm lens because I never really used it. I find a 75, 90, 150, and 210 fits my style. That said, I am intrigued by the Chamonix, and from what I hear, they are really well made. I want something that will be flexible like the DLC, yet stay put in colder weather. I also like the idea of axis front tilt on the chamonix.

So if you had the choice, which camera would you stay with? Chamonix, or Canham DLC?

Kirk Gittings
21-May-2008, 08:27
You might just think about a different lubricant for the Canham like Pedros Ice Wax (Bicycle chain lubricant).

big_ben_blue
21-May-2008, 09:10
I might be a bit biased because I own a DLC. In addition to Kirks comments, I would suggest changing the washers to avoid overtightening the knobs.
One thing which I was never really all that happy with, is the DLC's wideangle ability without having to resort to wideangle bellows. I find that the regular bellows exert a bit too much pressure onto the standards with my 75mm, making applied movements an excercise in frustration.

Blumine
21-May-2008, 17:26
I might be a bit biased because I own a DLC. In addition to Kirks comments, I would suggest changing the washers to avoid overtightening the knobs.
One thing which I was never really all that happy with, is the DLC's wideangle ability without having to resort to wideangle bellows. I find that the regular bellows exert a bit too much pressure onto the standards with my 75mm, making applied movements an excercise in frustration.

If I may ask, what type of washers do you recommend? Mine came with what appears to be Nylon washers, and they do slip.

Thank You.

Blumine

Kevin Crisp
21-May-2008, 17:51
I have seen fiber washers recommended. I've never had trouble with mine slipping, but then I don't live in your state. I can see how fiber would not get rock hard like nylon in very low temperatures.

big_ben_blue
21-May-2008, 19:54
If I may ask, what type of washers do you recommend? Mine came with what appears to be Nylon washers, and they do slip.

Thank You.

Blumine

Good question and to be honest, I am still on the original Nylon washers myself (just because I'm lazy, have much patience, and don't use the Canham all that often). They aren't great; but so far I have been able to live with the shortcomings (including the occasional slipping). Now should the problem become any worse (bellows compression with wideangle lenses give me the most grief with slipping), I would change them to some sort of fiber washers as Kevin suggested. The issue has been discussed here and elsewhere a good while ago, and a forum search will most likely bring the relevant thread up. If I recollect correctly, ordinary washers from the local hardware store were mentioned as one possible solution.

sanking
21-May-2008, 19:59

Thank You.

Blumine

I would recommend brass washers. Take the washers you have to a local Home Depot or Lowes and they should be able to match the size for you.

The metal Canham is a great camera in terms of movements and bellows draw, but it has a few weak spots because of the configuration and its type of lock down mechanism. The worst of all the weak spots is the single lock down on the back standard. This can be a real source of trouble.

Sandy King

GSX4
27-May-2008, 08:31
4x5 Chamonix ordered... There is an Ebay add taking new orders with a commitment to deliver before the end of July!

jasonjoo
28-May-2008, 09:22
You must be excited! I just ordered my Chamonix 45N-1 through Hugo as well and I can't wait! This will be my first LF camera :)

Jason

Hugo Zhang
28-May-2008, 09:38
I have just got another PM from a member here telling me that he had just order the camera from my ebay store. I congratulated him. But I just want to let everybogy know that I have nothing to do with that ebay store which is run by a local Chamonix dealer in Beijing and they are not supposed to sell Chamonix cameras to US based photographers.

In addition to that, my price is lower and no upfront deposit is needed.

Thanks.
Hugo

ARGYROTYPE
28-May-2008, 10:12
I have used the Canham, it is a lovely camera except for one thing---those idiotic T-bars for knobs. Why not round knobs??? T-bars are clumsy, they require one to cock the wrist, and the front ones are pinch points with the rise/fall knobs. I asked Keith why he puts them on, he said something about them being easier to use with gloves on. Bull! How often do you wear gloves ?? I decided not to buy the Canham 5x7 because of those T-bars, bought a new Wisner instead. Wound up selling the Wisner, as it was not particularly rigid. Now using an old 'Dorff....