PDA

View Full Version : Burke and James Solar enlarger

waulksfire
19-May-2008, 18:50
I recently aquired two Burke and James enlargers. Both are 'Solar' models. One has two wooden film carriers which look to be 4x5 format, it appears complete less lense, the bellows are cracked and the light does work. The 2nd has a 35mm metal film carrier and is an "auto-focus Solar". It too appears complete, the bellows are good, the table top switch works, but it too has no lense. It has a price tag w/the amount of $163.82 including excise tax. On both metal plates it's stated 'patent applied for' opossed to 'patent pending'. I know these are dated. My intentions are to sell these to someone who can appreciate and possibly use. Can anyone here help me out on est. value and where I may 'unload' these so to speak. I reside in central Ohio. The enlargers themselves are large. I'm not trying to use this venue as a selling tool, I just am not sure of value or who may be interested in these and appreciate them for what they are

John Kasaian
20-May-2008, 06:20
I doubt if they are worth much, considering very useable D2s with good bellows are going for practically give-away prices. I know Domenico is affiliated with an educational program in L.A. that accepts donations so you might find a similar program in your area.

You could post the 4x5 enlarger on Craig's List with a "make offer" since a 4x5 enlarger is, after all, a 4x5 enlarger.

Brian Ellis
20-May-2008, 07:55
I'm sorry to rain on your parade but good grief, sell them? To who? If I wanted a 35mm or 4x5 enlarger I could buy any number of very functional modern enlargers, with lenses, for $100 - $200 or so. I don't think an old enlarger chassis is something most people wax nostalgic over or get too excited about. Not to mention the fact that Burke and James isn't a name that evokes thoughts of spectacular quality like say Durst. I assume you know that Burke and James was a store in Chicago that put its brand name on other people's products, kind of like Sears' Kenwood brand. B&J gear was known for its no-frills functionality and low price.

I'm sorry to be so negative and maybe there's something special about these particular enlargers besides their age that I don't know about, in which case just ignore this message. But unless there is I wouldn't waste your time fixing them up only to resell them.

Joseph O'Neil
20-May-2008, 08:07
The 35mm , IMO, will be next to worthless as the market is flooded with 35mm enlargers nobody seems to want.

The 4x5 Solar is actually a decent enlarger, I used to use one myself. However the cost of bellows replacement and/or repair will likely exceed what the enlarger is worth to begin with. Even with the bellows in good condition, I doubt you would much more than $100 for it today.

joe

tom north
21-May-2008, 12:06
I used to have a 5 x 7 Solar enlarger that a friend sold (unloaded) to me. We are no longer friends. I sold (unloaded) the enlarger to an unknowing friend later and surprise, we are no longer friends. The message: friends don't let friends use Solar enlargers.

Jim Jones
21-May-2008, 18:40
Some older enlargers can be stripped down and used as copy stands. They may be more valuable in this use than as enlargers.

Clay Turtle
22-May-2008, 11:27
Not to try and switch the intent of Waulkesfire but I have access to an 35mm =>medium format enlarger. I thought I might do some printing of some of my 35mm. Started to reassemble the lab to do some work but shortly after testing the enlarger, the bulb burnt out so I replaced it ($20.00) only to have a test strip done when I went back to print, the light was burnt again. I thought about replacing the lamp with 120 volt, instead of the 82 volt but I was wondering about it being 6500 k bulb? how does this effect printing especial b&w?

ic-racer
22-May-2008, 14:22
Not to try and switch the intent of Waulkesfire but I have access to an 35mm =>medium format enlarger. I thought I might do some printing of some of my 35mm. Started to reassemble the lab to do some work but shortly after testing the enlarger, the bulb burnt out so I replaced it ($20.00) only to have a test strip done when I went back to print, the light was burnt again. I thought about replacing the lamp with 120 volt, instead of the 82 volt but I was wondering about it being 6500 k bulb? how does this effect printing especial b&w?

Sounds like there may be a problem with your power supply, rather than the bulbs. One thing to consider if you are going to just forgo the power supply and run straight from the mains is the wattage the enlarger head can handle and the shape of the bulb. Color temp will not be a problem. Even with multigrade, you can always filter the light source if needed.

If you need to use the original style bulb, and the power supply is bad, sometimes you can just re-wire the power supply to do a half-wave rectification and get about 60v. It won't be 'regulated' any more, and the color temp will be lower, but it can allow you to use the original type of bulb (if thats the only thing that fits in the enlarger). I have done this before with excellent results for B&W printing.

Clay Turtle
22-May-2008, 15:54
Sounds like there may be a problem with your power supply, rather than the bulbs. One thing to consider if you are going to just forgo the power supply and run straight from the mains is the wattage the enlarger head can handle and the shape of the bulb. Color temp will not be a problem. Even with multigrade, you can always filter the light source if needed.

If you need to use the original style bulb, and the power supply is bad, sometimes you can just re-wire the power supply to do a half-wave rectification and get about 60v. It won't be 'regulated' any more, and the color temp will be lower, but it can allow you to use the original type of bulb (if thats the only thing that fits in the enlarger). I have done this before with excellent results for B&W printing. Thank you for the intell & I will check the voltage output before I do anything.