PDA

View Full Version : 4X5 TOYO VIEW G, Wista M450, or CAMBO SCIIRS

AFSmithphoto
16-May-2008, 10:58
Hello all,
I've been shooting with a Super Graphic for a little while now, and I've decided I'm ready for a true view camera. The Super has enough movements for hikes and the like, so I'm looking for a monorail camera for "car shooting"
I've got it narrowed down to the Toyo View G, Wista M450, and Cambo SCIIRS. Do any of these camera's have any advantages over the others I should know of?
Two personal considerations of I should mention. First, I'll be shooting with a 90mm lens most of the time, so do will any of the three best the others in movements WITHOUT having to go to a bag bellows. Secondly I intend to make an adapter for the monorail that will suit my super graphic boards. I know this is relatively easy with the calumet/cambo makes, is there any reason that I would find this to be any harder with a Toyo or Wista? Thanks all in advance.

AFSmithphoto
16-May-2008, 13:19
I should also mention that I have a number of Graflok roll film adapters. I know the Cambo has a graflok back, can anyone say whether or not the others do?

Ralph Barker
16-May-2008, 15:21
The revolving back on the Toyo G should have Graflok fittings, unless it has been swapped for the reversible back. There are two little knurled bars on either side of the GG. Press them down and slide them forward to reveal the Graflok fittings.

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/Misc/Photo-gear/Toyo45rvlv-slideforward-600-45.jpg

As to the lens boards, the Toyo takes a 158mm metal board, the edge of which is rolled over at 90° to fit into a light-trap slot in the standard. Toyo makes an adapter for their 110mm boards (used on the 4x5 field), but adapting the Graphic boards would likely require some custom work, using a blank Toyo board as a base.

BOB BERESFORD
9-Jun-2008, 08:05
As Ralph is showing with his Toyo 45 Field, the sytem is very modular and interchangeable - even from his Field to a Mono like 45 G ( your best choice - especially for accessories ) and even a green!! VX when you feel like really posing. The square graphic boards should be easy enough to adapt onto a spare Toyo board but I'm fairly sure they also make a proper one. Their Linhof adapter board is excellent, so you could then switch your lenses to those ( common ) boards and later buy a Technica for hiking.
The 45 G will focus a 90 without wide bellows, but best to get them some time.

BOB BERESFORD
9-Jun-2008, 08:09
I should also mention that I have a number of Graflok roll film adapters. I know the Cambo has a graflok back, can anyone say whether or not the others do?

Most LF cameras incl Toyo, Cambo , Sinar have the graflok back - taking dark slides and nearly any rollback ( try the quality Linhof 6 x 9 ers ). The Wista and Arca will too.