PDA

View Full Version : Tmax100 text in print?

bjorn
15-May-2008, 11:27
Is there anyone that can tell me why I get TMAX100 printed in my print. I suppose that´s ment to be outside the print area. Is it me, my camera, the lens, the filmholder or is it anything wrong in production. It´s readyload tmax 100 in pol. 545i and a Linhof kardan color with Rodenstock sironar 100. I´m new to LF and thankful for any help.

//Björn

rwyoung
15-May-2008, 11:44
Looks like they assumed it to be in the rebate area as if it was a "regular" double darkslide holder. Must not be the case with readyloads in a 545i

Mark your GG and you can either mask the negative during a contact print or if you are enlarging, just keep that area off the paper.

Michael Alpert
15-May-2008, 12:50
The current Kodak single-sheet filmholder provides ample margins on all sides. I think the problem is that your filmholder makes a larger image than Kodak intended. If you are enlarging from 4x5, this difference probably will not be too important, except that you need to take the useful edges of the film into account as you are composing your photographs. Pen marks on your groundglass to correspond with the film's workable image-size should resolve the issue.

bjorn
16-May-2008, 03:58
Thanks for your input rw and michael. Since I want to be able to print with black borders it seems that I have to try another filmholder.

David A. Goldfarb
16-May-2008, 04:47
They're assuming that you don't want to print the area with the notches either. With a normal 4x5" negative carrier in an enlarge or on a scanner for that matter, the rebate area would be masked anyway. If you want the traditional film rebate as a framing device in the picture, then I think the solution is to use a traditional sheet film holder, rather than Readyloads.

bjorn
16-May-2008, 04:59
Thanks David. Yes I want to print the notches and everything. So then it seems I cant do that with readyload. Sad since its very convient. Does anyone know if its the same with Acros 100 quickload?

Doremus Scudder
16-May-2008, 05:50
If you want to print the entire film area, notches and all, the Kodak printing will be there one way or the other, either in the image area or in the black rebate. It is exposed onto the film during manufacture.

If you can live with it in the rebate, then find filmholders that cover that part of the negative. Some of mine do, some don't. You may have to make sure you load the notches down (on the flap side) of the holder as well.

If you don't want any printing, maybe someone here can recommend a film with no manufacturer's imprint. I think BPF films had no imprint, there are surely others.

Good luck,

Doremus Scudder