PDA

View Full Version : ballhead upgrade

trink408
15-May-2008, 05:30
I'm looking at putting together a new "lighter weight" tripod assembly for some backpacking trips, and general walk around photography.

I'm looking at the Feisol tripods, but I'm wondering what would be a good head?

anyone using the Feisol ballheads? Any other good brands to look at?

thanks
Kevin

Brian Ellis
15-May-2008, 06:12
I use a Feisol CT-3301 tripod with a Really Right Stuff ball head for hiking. The head doesn't have a model # on it but RRS makes three different size heads, mine is the middle one. I bought this combination when I owned a camera that weighed less than 4 lbs. With anything much heavier I think you'd want the largest of the RRS heads and possibly a sturdier Feisol. Compared to my Gitzo 1325 with a Bogen 410 head, it feels like a feather when I pick it up. It's a very nice combination for hiking if weight is your main concern and you're willing to drape your pack around the tripod legs for added stability if there's any wind.

Ron Marshall
15-May-2008, 07:00
I have the Acratech Ultimate, 1 pound, and solid enough for my 4x5 Sinar F1, but not my 5x7 Sinar.

Anupam
15-May-2008, 08:55
The smallest Markins looks really good.

Kirk Gittings
15-May-2008, 09:03
I use the Bogen 468MGRC4, weighs 1.6 pounds and holds 35lbs!

Kevin Crisp
15-May-2008, 09:06
I've been happy with the Acratech for 4x5 through light weight 8x10's. My only complaint about it (hard to tighten down the pan function) was cured with their larger rubber coated locking knob. I believe this weighs one pound.

Maris Rusis
15-May-2008, 17:44
I'm with Kirk Gittings. The Manfrotto 468MGRC4 is incredible. The hydraulic locking mechanism is almost finger-touch light but it locks the head like it becomes one piece of metal. I got mine NEW from KEH at a super price and I think they may have some left.

Robert A. Zeichner
15-May-2008, 18:19
So far, my Acratech Ultimate has been great. I put a 5x7 Deardorff on it without a problem. 1 lb with rubberized knobs, Acratech QR plate.

Steve Barber
16-May-2008, 01:04
I have a Feisol CB-50H ballhead which I bought some time ago with the first tripod I bought from Feisol. It is light for its size and capacity, weighing 430 grams or just under one pound. It is the only ballhead I have that will hold a EOS 1Ds with its 100-400 zoom extended at a right angle for a vertical shot without slippage of any kind from where it was when set.

mrladewig
16-May-2008, 12:20
The Markins Q3 gets really excellent user reviews. I was thinking about choosing this, but I knew the Acratech would do the job I needed.

I have an Acratech Ultimate. Its been no trouble for my field or rail cameras.