PDA

View Full Version : wollensak 6 1/4" lens IIIa 12.5

ericantonio
14-May-2008, 17:00
Dang, I just won this lens on ebay. I really didn't think I'd win (hmm, now I have to pay). Can anyone tell me about this?
According to seller, it covers 8x10.

Darren Kruger
14-May-2008, 17:56
Dang, I just won this lens on ebay. I really didn't think I'd win (hmm, now I have to pay). Can anyone tell me about this?
According to seller, it covers 8x10.

Some info at can be found at cameraeccentric (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/wollensakcat/seriesiiia.html)

-Darren

Jim Galli
14-May-2008, 17:58
Yes, it covers brilliantly with 380mm circle. It is 4 glass 4 group so a LOT of flare if it isn't one of the very late coated ones. Still I have it's little brother in 135mm and it surprises me how sharp and snappy it can be in the right light. Coated ones are magnitude better and pricier.

Jan Pedersen
14-May-2008, 18:04
A nice little lens, i have the 9.5 in a Betax and for the money i could no be happier.

ericantonio
14-May-2008, 18:10
Its mounted on a Betax #3 shutter. I've done a search on this forum and some are mounted on newer shutters.
Well, since our favorite lens repair person is still recovering, who else is there? I'm feeling that Grimes will be pretty expensive for a simple CLA.

Brian Ellis
14-May-2008, 18:52
I've owned two of the 9.5 versions, both uncoated. Flare wasn't a big problem, just use a lens shade in a situation where flare looks like a problem. I never enlarged any negatives made with mine, only contact printed, but for that they both did a great job and I don't remember ever running out of coverage. According to someone who used to post here, the f12.5 is actually closer to f9 because the aperture opens up past the f12.5 setting.

ericantonio
14-May-2008, 18:56
Well, I'm guessing, if I use this lens stopped way down, I probably don't even need the lens CLA'd for a while. Perhaps I should invest in a 1 or 2 stop ND filter.

Jan Pedersen
14-May-2008, 19:13
Eric, you could look for one of the many Oscillo raptars that are mounted in Alphax shutters. Betax and Alphax should share the same thread size. Only problem is the f stop scale.

ericantonio
14-May-2008, 20:26
Eric, you could look for one of the many Oscillo raptars that are mounted in Alphax shutters. Betax and Alphax should share the same thread size. Only problem is the f stop scale.

Okay, I see.
What's funny is I've been searching for 159mm Wollensak and I only bid on this one cause it said it was a 6 1/4 that covers 8x10. Duh, 159mm is the same as 6 1/4.

My Korona has the front tilt that is kinda wobly anyway. I'll have to McGuyver a shim or something to keep it locked in a tilt position if I ever have to.

There's always that dream that one day, I can afford an 8x10 Shen or Chamonix!