PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Mamiya press lens on a lensboard how

Darcy Cote
14-May-2008, 12:03
excuse my ignorance but how does one mount a mamiya press lens on a regular large format lensboard?

Darcy

John Schneider
14-May-2008, 13:04
The best way is to buy a junker Mamiya press body and remove the front panel containing the lens mount. Attach this to a lensboard and then screw on your lens. This is explained somewhere on http://bigcamera.com/. None of these lenses cover 4x5, btw, although the 75mm is reported to cover 6x12.

The other way is to have S.K. Grimes disassemble the lens and make an adapter to mount it to a lensboard.

Jim Galli
14-May-2008, 15:01
You can take the Seikosha shutter out of the helical mount and mount it like any other lens / shutter but the problem you'll run into is that the cable release socket is built into and stays with the helical mount. So you end up with a nice lens in shutter with no good way to trip it. What are you trying to accomplish. I've probably already tried it and can save you the trouble ;)

Kuzano
14-May-2008, 16:36
You can take the Seikosha shutter out of the helical mount and mount it like any other lens / shutter but the problem you'll run into is that the cable release socket is built into and stays with the helical mount. So you end up with a nice lens in shutter with no good way to trip it. What are you trying to accomplish. I've probably already tried it and can save you the trouble ;)

My experience on this has been the same. The shutter trip is part of the helical. Are you trying to mount the helical for some focus ability? The lens/shutter itself mount to the helical just as on a lens board. The jam nut on the back of the shutter is a bit of a reach to get to, but a long spanner can reach it. I use various Mamiya lenses on a Gowland pocket with a 6X9 roll film back, or focusing on the 6X9 portion of the ground glass with 4X5 sheet film. I trip the shutter gently with a fingertip which is not ideal. The shutter mounts in my lens board in the same hole that is drilled for a Copal O shutter. The lens flange is a wee bit smaller than the hole.

Darcy Cote
14-May-2008, 17:06
I want to pick up a 50mm lens I can use for my 6x9 back on my 4x5.

Darcy

Jim Galli
14-May-2008, 17:39
I want to pick up a 50mm lens I can use for my 6x9 back on my 4x5.

Darcy

It's made to cover straight on. It won't allow any movements at all. Plus a 2" will require a bag type bellows. The 50's shutter is buried inside somewhere unlike the others. The 75 5.6 is awful sweet though. Not wide enough? I have 2 of them left over from 600SE days.

Darryl Baird
15-May-2008, 07:29
Hmmm, I have a 50 Mamiya (from a press camera) that has the shutter trip socket, but the aperture markings/plate are hidden by the front lens cell. I remedied the "problem" by marking the side of the shutter with marker using the original helical connection as a guide.

If you don't already own the 50mm lens, I'd consider selling this one, it just sits and gathers dust. I rarely use anything that wide anymore (sold a 58mm XL for the same reasons), but then I only use it on a bag bellows monorail Cambo 6x9 SF.

It has a scratch on the front element, so that's another reason I didn't sell it before now. (disclaimer stuff although it rarely matters to the image in the end)

Daniel Strasshofer
26-May-2008, 13:48
Hi Darcy,
I had a 50mm Mamiya Sekkor, that I`ve mounted on a recessed Arca-Swiss lens board. You don`t need the helical. I sold it half a year ago. Fine results but only little movements with 6x9. Attached some pictures:

BOB BERESFORD
15-Jun-2008, 07:35
Some interesting solutions here - especially Daniel's - but as long as you don't mind cutting big holes then the best way is to make a large hole in your lensboard - various ways - and then drop the whole lens in and fasten with glue that is not too permanent....like contact cement. Then you can still take it out later and use on a Mamiya Press. But now you have 2 focus options on the view camera - with the helical mount. Works fine even on Technika boards. Best idea, Darcy , is to get a Linhof adapter board and then you can put all your lenses onto small homemade boards. Get sheet aluminium chopped to right size and then start filing. And drilling. And painting with black matt. Or just buy them.

BOB BERESFORD
15-Jun-2008, 07:41
Big question - Darcy

what is the 4 x 5 model ? May not focus a 50 mm lens on a flat, though if you do it my way the helical will move the lens back further....though a remount could get it further back still ? At least my system is fine for 75mm and above. or with a Sinar F.