PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff v Chamonix

cyrus
11-May-2008, 17:43
Should I sell my 'dorff for a Chamonix?

Daniel_Buck
11-May-2008, 18:43
I guess a question should be put back to you, is there any reason you don't want Deardorff?

I've never used a Deardorff, or the 8x10 Chamonix, but I can say from my 4x5 chamonix that it doesn't have the 'classic feel' that older style large format cameras have. If possible, I would try keeping both of them. There is something about a fine classic piece of hardware that isn't found in a newer design (for fun, lets call it 'character'?), even if the classic it's a bit more limited in it's design. I've seen this in cameras, guns, cars, instruments, and all kinds of things. I generally prefer the look and feel of classic designs to the newer designs, but if possible I like to have one of each since newer designs usually have some extra functionality or other mechanical benefits over the classic designs. And when that extra functionality isn't needed, I grab the classic and enjoy it a bit more :-)

That's my take :-)

Songyun
11-May-2008, 18:59
If you go out hiking and shoot 8X10, then go for Chamonix.
Deardorff has good collection value, while I don't see any collection value for Chamonix now, coz they are still making it.
But once again, these two are very different cameras.

vann webb
11-May-2008, 19:00
No. You must keep them both. Always go into any situation with proper "backup".:) :)

Songyun
11-May-2008, 19:05
No. You must keep them both. Always go into any situation with proper "backup".:) :)

There are never too many cameras.:D

Jan Pedersen
11-May-2008, 19:07
Only you really know if you should or not. Daniel's take is pretty much the same as mine. What is important to you? If it is light weight and functionality, yes, sell the Dorf.
I never owned a Deardorff but i am a happy owner of a new 810 Chamonix and i would not trade it for a Deardorff even if new old stock.

Daqlon
11-May-2008, 19:20
Nope

Brian Ellis
11-May-2008, 19:31
Definitely yes or no

BarryS
11-May-2008, 19:40
I've been using my 4x5 Chamonix and I have no doubt the 8x10 Chamonix is an outstanding camera. Very light and compact with great movements and fine craftsmanship. I struggled with the same question and I have a Deardorff arriving tomorrow. Not because I think it's better than the Chamonix, but because I want to experience the Deardorff. I think I'll probably end up with an 8x10 Chamonix because I like to hike all day with my camera gear. If you're a work out of the trunk kind of guy, the Deardorff is probably fine, but if you find yourself leaving the dorff at home because of the weight, the Chamonix is calling.

Songyun
11-May-2008, 19:57
I think I'll probably end up with an 8x10 Chamonix because I like to hike all day with my camera gear.

Barry, do you have any good backpack to recommend for 8X10? see my thread in the gear section.

Darryl Baird
11-May-2008, 21:04
I vote no. If you hiked all day (or for days) with an 8x10 you would already know there are better choices for that style of shooting. I tried a friend' s dorff and loved it... it was all I needed. I tried to get a real good "bargain," but fell short several times or thought for just a few(?) bucks more I could have either a Canham or Chamonix and then I'd have a camera I might actually talk a long walk with over my shoulder. In the end, I (gulped hard and) alloted more money towards a purchase and bought the Chamonix... customized with a longer bellows (equivalent of the Canham) The extra bellows matchs my shooting style, which tends towards closer views and not vistas. I still think I would do as well with the dorff, but I went a bit deeper for the beauty, weight, and design. I also have a steady job, enough income, and a loving spouse. Also, I have a big project I want to do next year and think I might move it up to the 8x10 format and that would certainly mean hiking some distances... another justification/rationalization!

tim o'brien
11-May-2008, 21:31
I is a photographer, I is an engineer.

They don't come any better than a Deardorff. An amazing tool.

tim in san jose

keeds
12-May-2008, 00:44
No, you should sell for Deardorff for a Richard Ritter 8x10... ;-)

Greg Lockrey
12-May-2008, 00:53
Come on Cyrus, a rich New York lawyer like you should already have 2 of every format in both cameras. One to use during the week and the other for the weekend and one set for the archives. :cool:

audioexcels
12-May-2008, 05:41
No, you should sell for Deardorff for a Richard Ritter 8x10... ;-)

Just wondering why the Ritter has not been mentioned. At basically the same? price, it is only 6.25lbs and a purist work of art. It would be my choice even if there was a $500 difference (we're talking about 2.5-3K cameras here w/respect to the Chamonix or Ritter).

Isn't the weight of the Chamonix around 7.5-8lbs? If so, that's a LOT of difference from 6.25lbs, especially when both are equally sturdy.

As Chamonix can do with bellows or any other mod, Ritter can do the same.

Ole Tjugen
12-May-2008, 06:45
I disagree with everyone so far. But if I had had either, I would have sold it (or better, both) to get a Gandolfi. :)

John Kasaian
12-May-2008, 07:26
My what a silly poll---for a sec I thought I'd been on msnbc!
Use the camera you enjoy using---and if you already have a 'dorff then chances are that's the one :)

Brian Ellis
12-May-2008, 07:38
My what a silly poll---for a sec I thought I'd been on msnbc! . . .

I agree, which was why I gave the answer I did. The person asking the question gives not one whit of information about what he photographs, how he plans to use the camera, which factors are important to him and which aren't, etc., yet wants people to tell him which camera to use for whatever it is that he does.

cyrus
12-May-2008, 14:16
I agree, which was why I gave the answer I did. The person asking the question gives not one whit of information about what he photographs, how he plans to use the camera, which factors are important to him and which aren't, etc., yet wants people to tell him which camera to use for whatever it is that he does.

Don't want to bias the result - wanted to see what issues/factors others would consider in such a situation.

cyrus
12-May-2008, 14:21
Come on Cyrus, a rich New York lawyer like you should already have 2 of every format in both cameras. One to use during the week and the other for the weekend and one set for the archives. :cool:

I am hardly a "rich New York lawyer" but I do have a 'dorff, a Green Monster, and a Century Studio camera that I am slowly repairing.

I am considering the exchange precisely because I like the 'dorff so much that I don't take it out as often as I should, fearing for its safety and risk of nicking the wood finish etc.

John Bowen
12-May-2008, 14:51
Sell them both, buy a Ritter 8x10 and some film...

BarryS
12-May-2008, 18:29
...but I do have ...a Green Monster, ...

You have the left field wall from Fenway Park? That should bring something on ebay. :)

mccormickstudio
13-May-2008, 08:58
I vote yes. I've been shooting more street photography - half-day urban backpacking, and I love the Chamonix 8x10. I've done the same with a Deardorff. The Dorff was fine, but IMO it's a simple choice between nostalgia and a newer, better-designed camera. I'd also choose a Phillips over a Dorff if Dick were making more.

cyrus
13-May-2008, 09:06
You have the left field wall from Fenway Park? That should bring something on ebay. :)

Well it certainly weighs about as much as a wall!

D. Bryant
13-May-2008, 14:35
Well it certainly weighs about as much as a wall!

I just saw a brand new Chamonix 8x10 today fresh right out of the box. There is no question in my mind that the Deardorf would go. But I'm also not the type of photographer that gets emotionally hamstrung about gear so I wouldn't have any sentiment about keeping a classic camera like the Deardorf.

Don Bryant

cyrus
13-May-2008, 15:13
I just saw a brand new Chamonix 8x10 today fresh right out of the box. There is no question in my mind that the Deardorf would go. But I'm also not the type of photographer that gets emotionally hamstrung about gear so I wouldn't have any sentiment about keeping a classic camera like the Deardorf.

Don Bryant

(Just to clear the point up: the Calumet Green Monster weighs as much as the "Green Monster" wall at Fenway. The Deardorff doesn't weigh as much ... I don't think....)

Kevin Crisp
13-May-2008, 16:28
Not bad, camera designed in the 1920's holding its own against a Chinese copy/interpretation of an current American camera.

mccormickstudio
13-May-2008, 20:59
Not bad, camera designed in the 1920's holding its own against a Chinese copy/interpretation of an current American camera.

yawn... We should be happy than anyone produces a technically advanced LF camera for our beloved waning art form, be they American, Swiss or Chinese. The legion of Chamonix naysayers have little to say about using a camera and much to say about emotion, nationalism and a general sense of insecurity.

Kevin Crisp
14-May-2008, 07:55
Craig, I think you're projecting again. I have nothing negative to say about the newer camera. They look very interesting and attractive. I was commenting on the fact that a Deardorff, as a design that is 80 years old or more, is still considered relatively desirable.

fuegocito
14-May-2008, 09:14
Having handled the Chamonix, Deardorff and Ritter's lightweight in person, I got to say if weight is the ultimate concern then Ritter's new camera is the way to go. Without his 355 G-claron attach to it, the camera felt more or less like a foam box in weight. Chamonix has an overall prettiness about it and the Deardorff, well, the ultimate classic. Personally I am sticking with my Deardorff simply because of it's like a really, really comfortable, well worn in, yet still perfectly good pair of hiking boots...