PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a LIGHTER tripod

Stephen S. Mack
10-May-2008, 19:35
Hello, everybody:

I was looking at the tripod my 4X5 Anonymous field camera is sitting on, and I think I'd be more inclined to use it if the tripod was lighter. I currently own a Bogen 3221 Variable-Weight tripod, and it is no fun to lug more than 50 yards. (BTW, a variable-weight tripod is one that most of you are familiar with; you may already own one: it's a tripod that gets heavier the farther you have to carry it.:D )

What would be a good lighter tripod (I know that this is a very loaded question)? I would be interested in one made by a well-known manufacturer, not extremely expensive (range: $100.00 to $300.00). Maybe a wooden tripod??? I am certain that I'd use this camera more if I didn't have to lug around as much equipment.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Steve Mack

Tomaas
10-May-2008, 20:39
Contact Kerry on this forum for Feisol tripods.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35901

Tomaas

Ron Marshall
10-May-2008, 21:17
Another vote for Feisol. Contact Kerry Thalmann on this forum.

roteague
11-May-2008, 00:55
I replaced my 3221W with an 055XDB. Best switch I ever made. I may also get a carbon fiber later this year for traveling, but so far 055 is light enough to carry, strong enough for the Chamonix and sturdy - plus it is almost as high as the 3221.

Kirk Gittings
11-May-2008, 01:51
I have never been a fan of collar leg locks after owning a few with them. I currently use the Bogen carbon fiber 055MF3, which is a bit lighter than the aluminum 055XDB Robert mentioned. It is the best 4x5 field tripod I have ever owned, solid, light. quick to set up and rock solid.

roteague
11-May-2008, 14:09
I have never been a fan of collar leg locks after owning a few with them. I currently use the Bogen carbon fiber 055MF3, which is a bit lighter than the aluminum 055XDB Robert mentioned. It is the best 4x5 field tripod I have ever owned, solid, light. quick to set up and rock solid.

I've thinking about the 055MF3 myself; it all depends upon how much round-trip tickets to Sydney are going to set me back this year.

Jim Graves
11-May-2008, 16:23
I'll second (or third) Kerry and Feisol ... great product and great customer service.

And, as always it depends on how you want to use it. I backpack and have Feisol's lightest, most compact tripod (3441) and ballhead (CB-30) ... the combination totals 2.6 lbs ... and with my Gowland 4x5 added it is still under 5 lbs ... amazingly light.

Capacity limit of the tripod is 13 lbs. ... well over any of the three 4x5 field cameras I have. It is not rock-solid, but solid enough ... especially with weight hung from the center post. The great thing about it, is I take it pretty much every place I go ... and I use it for my 35mm, old folders, and my 4x5. I know I have gotten pictures I never would have gotten with heavier gear ... simply because I wouldn't have had it with me.

Michael Heald
11-May-2008, 16:53
I use a Tachihara 4x5 and the Feisol 3441 and CB-30 ballhead. I agree with what has been said about them. They will hold you in good stead.

Michael A. Heald

Bob Salomon
11-May-2008, 16:55
Giottos Lava Classic tripods will easily fit in your price range. Lava is Giotto's name for basalt columns and tubes. Of course it would be easier to answer your question if we knew how much your camera and lens weighs that will be on the tripod.

Another possibility would be a Berlebach wood tripod but that would be heavier then the Lava tripods.

Really Big Cameras
11-May-2008, 17:50
Hello, everybody:

I was looking at the tripod my 4X5 Anonymous field camera is sitting on, and I think I'd be more inclined to use it if the tripod was lighter. I currently own a Bogen 3221 Variable-Weight tripod, and it is no fun to lug more than 50 yards. (BTW, a variable-weight tripod is one that most of you are familiar with; you may already own one: it's a tripod that gets heavier the farther you have to carry it.:D )

What would be a good lighter tripod (I know that this is a very loaded question)? I would be interested in one made by a well-known manufacturer, not extremely expensive (range: $100.00 to $300.00). Maybe a wooden tripod??? I am certain that I'd use this camera more if I didn't have to lug around as much equipment.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Steve Mack

Steve,

I shot with Bogen 3021/3221 tripods for over nine years before I switched to carbon fiber tripods twelve years ago. So, I'm very familiar with your current tripod - and all too familiar with how heavy it starts to feel the further you get from the trailhead. Believe me, once you go carbon fiber you never go back.

The new, improved CT-3301 Standard Class model from Feisol is very similar in most specs (height, folded length, capacity, etc.) to your current Bogen/Manfrotto 3221, but about half the weight (2.59 lbs.). At $215.00 it is a bargain among new carbon fiber tripods.

The slightly upscale CT-3342 Tournament Class model from Feisol offers a few additional features, a slightly higher load rating and is slightly taller and a few ounces lighter (2.27 lbs.). But, at $299.00 is still within your budget range.

Both of these models are a good match for most 4x5 field cameras.

If you have any specific questions about Feisol tripods, I'd be happy to answer them here. Or, you can send me an email at:

sales@reallybigcameras.com

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras
http://reallybigcameras.com

Merg Ross
11-May-2008, 21:31
Steve, I will echo the praise of the Feisol line of tripods. I recently purchased a #3441 with CB-30 head from Kerry and am very impressed with the craftsmanship, not to mention the light weight. Even my wife is impressed; no, she is not a photographer, but on occasion carried my Bogen#3021. Check out the Feisol line, they may have what you need. Kerry is very helpful with his feedback and provides excellent service.

Jan Pedersen
11-May-2008, 22:02
Please let me chip in with another thumbs up for the Feisol tripods. Although a little on the heavy side for 4x5 i just bought a 3471 from Kerry Thalmann and it is a real first class tripod. Light, rigid and very well made.

Greg Lockrey
11-May-2008, 23:22
Being one of the original owners of a Feisol 3471 (over three years now) I also highly recommend the brand. The 3471 might be more than you need but it is still lighter than my aluminum Gitzo that is smaller. I personally like the 4 stage leg for being more compact and it is every bit as rigid as the 3 stage. Merg, you being the experienced photographer as you are, please report to us about the durability of the ball head when you get some time on it. You are the second person that I heard that has one.

audioexcels
12-May-2008, 05:30
Giottos Lava Classic tripods will easily fit in your price range. Lava is Giotto's name for basalt columns and tubes. Of course it would be easier to answer your question if we knew how much your camera and lens weighs that will be on the tripod.

Another possibility would be a Berlebach wood tripod but that would be heavier then the Lava tripods.

How is the Giottos GB3158 vs. the Freisols Kerry is offering?

Bob Salomon
12-May-2008, 06:52
How is the Giottos GB3158 vs. the Freisols Kerry is offering?

I have no idea. I have never seen a Feisol at a dealer or at a photo show. Nor are we aware of any national distributor of that brand.
The GB series is on closeout and is no longer manufactured. The MT series is currently manufactured.

The GB3158 is made from Lava (basalt) tubes. As far as we know only Manfrotto and Giottos offers basalt fiber tubes.

The GB3158 has 28mm dia. legs, is 3 section, opens to 61", ,inimum height is 22.2" (lower with an optional short column), folds to 25" and weighs 4 pounds. Is supplied with padded case, shoulder straps for the tripod and the case and a tool kit. Has level and compass built-in. Load capacity is 20 pounds. Today this tripod would sell for less then $200.00 at a camera store. Before it was discontinued the street price was $330.00.

You will have to see which Feisol compares with it.

Really Big Cameras
12-May-2008, 08:06
The GB series is on closeout and is no longer manufactured.

The Feisol CT-3301 has just been redesigned (less than two months ago) and is in current production.

The GB3158 has 28mm dia. legs, is 3 section, opens to 61"

The Feisol CT-3301 has 28mm diameter legs with 3 sections and extends to 72" with the optional ($39.00) center column kit.

minimum height is 22.2" (lower with an optional short column)

The minimum height for the Feisol CT-3301 is 8.2" with the stock flat plate.

folds to 25"

The folded length of the Fesiol CT-3301 is 23.6".

and weighs 4 pounds.

The Feisol CT-3301 weighs 2.59 pounds.

Is supplied with padded case, shoulder straps for the tripod and the case and a tool kit.

All Feisol tripods come with the carrying case and tool kit included in the price.

Has level and compass built-in. Load capacity is 20 pounds.

No level or compass (?), but the Feisol CT-3301 has the same 9kg/19.8 lb. load rating as the Giottos.

Today this tripod would sell for less then $200.00 at a camera store. Before it was discontinued the street price was $330.00.

The new, improved Feisol CT-3301 sells for $215.00. The lowest online close out price I can find on the discontinued Giottos GB3158 is $214.95 at Adorama:

http://www.google.com/products?q=giottos+GB3158&oe=utf-8&scoring=p

You will have to see which Feisol compares with it.

That would be the Feisol CT-3301.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras
http://reallybigcameras.com

Eric Biggerstaff
12-May-2008, 08:29
I will give a BIG thumbs up to the Giottos line of tripods, high quality, great price and the most features of any pod on the market today (IMO).

I prefer the Lava series of pods in the "Classic" version (all come in either "Classic" or "Pro", the pro version as a built in pan/tilt head).

I am NOT a distributor of these pods and have no business connection with them, it is just a nice series of tripods with lots of features found on more expensive pods for much less money. Also, the come with standard features like padded case, shoulder strap, padded legs, tool kit, etc. that many of the more expensive lines don't even offer.

Good luck.

Bob Salomon
12-May-2008, 09:03
"The new, improved Feisol CT-3301 sells for $215.00. The lowest online close out price I can find on the discontinued Giottos GB3158 is $214.95 at Adorama:"

That is based on an older closeout price. Since April the dealer cost went down again on the GB Lava series.

Keith Pitman
12-May-2008, 10:44
I bought a lightweight Benro on Ebay last year to use when I want a lighter outfit, and while traveling. It's a Gitzo clone and, at least from a functionality standpoint, it's as good as a Gitzo. A friend figured out how to eliminate the center column very inexpensively, and without damaging the tripod. Overall, very satisfied with the tripod and the quick shipment direct from China.

Peter De Smidt
12-May-2008, 18:25
Bob,

Like Kerry I didn't find a lower price than the $214.95 at Adorama. BH was in the $300s.

Really Big Cameras
12-May-2008, 21:58
I will give a BIG thumbs up to the Giottos line of tripods, high quality, great price and the most features of any pod on the market today (IMO).

I prefer the Lava series of pods in the "Classic" version (all come in either "Classic" or "Pro", the pro version as a built in pan/tilt head).

I am NOT a distributor of these pods and have no business connection with them, it is just a nice series of tripods with lots of features found on more expensive pods for much less money. Also, the come with standard features like padded case, shoulder strap, padded legs, tool kit, etc. that many of the more expensive lines don't even offer.

Eric,

I have no dispute with anything you say. I'm sure the Giottos is a fine tripod and everything you say it is. I'm glad you found a good match for your needs.

However, keep in mind the OP's goal. He specifically stated he was looking for a "lighter tripod" - something significantly lighter than his Bogen/Manfrotto 3221. I don't have the specs for it handy, but from memory I seem to recall the 3221 to weigh just over 5 1/2 pounds (5 lb. 9 oz. rings a bell). I checked the specs on the current Giottos lava Classic series. The model with the 28mm diameter legs and an 8kg load rating, and other specs most similar to the 3221 is the MT-7361. It weighs 4.2 lbs. - only 1 lb. 6 oz. less than the OP's current 3221.

The Feisol CT-3301, also with 28mm diameter legs, but a slightly higher 9kg load rating, weighs in at 2.59 lbs. - 3 lbs. less than the OPs current heavyweight 3221. The slightly more upscale Feisol CT-3342, with 28mm diameter legs and a 10kg load rating, weighs 2.27 lbs. - or over 3 lb. 4 oz. less than the OP's current tripod.

Again, I'm not disputing anything you've said about your Giottos Classic series lava tripod. Just pointing out that it doesn't really offer than much of a weight savings over the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 - which is, after all, the OP's stated goal. Comparing a carbon fiber tripod to one made from lava isn't really an apples:apples comparison. With the focus on saving weight, a more valid comparison would probably be comparing carbon fiber tripods from Giottos and Gitzo to those made by Feisol.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras

Bob Salomon
13-May-2008, 02:34
Bob,

Like Kerry I didn't find a lower price than the $214.95 at Adorama. BH was in the $300s.

This is a tripod on close out. It was just reduced in price. Local stores would be more likely to have the lowest prices but you would have to call them to gt the price. Online searches would not reflect the price yet.

mccormickstudio
13-May-2008, 08:32
I recently purchased an Induro A313 and have been very pleased in a few outings. Most of their tripods for LF include the center column. The A313 (aluminum alloy) I bought for my 8x10 was $160, weighs 6.6 lbs, extends to 68" and is solid. The Feisol tripods look great too but I found the Induro in a local shop and was convinced by the price and quality in about two minutes.

Good luck!

Kirk Keyes
13-May-2008, 13:18
How do the tripod manufacturers determine "load ratings"? Is it a standardized, even if not realistic, system like EPA milage numbers for automobiles, or does every company use it's own system so you really have to take it as an apple vs. oranges situation?

Eric Biggerstaff
13-May-2008, 16:25
Kerry,

I hear ya.

Actually I own a Gitzo CF, and it is OK.

I used the Giottos aluminum, CF and Lava pods for a few months when I was writing a review for VC. I was VERY impressed by all of them but I found the lava pod the be my favorite. I also liked their CF models. If I were out to buy a new pod today, it would be a Giottos pod as I think it is a very well built and feature packed pod for the money.

The review was in the same issue that Ted Harris reviewed the Feisol pods. Ted showed me his Feisol when he was out in Colorado and it too is excellent. I just think that people should have choices and be given information that they can then research and determine which is best for them.

As I mention, I am not in any way associated with Giottos, but I (and my friend Chauncey Walden) liked their products enough to give them a very positive review. So, I just wanted the OP to be aware of other tripod options that can be researced.

Thanks

audioexcels
14-May-2008, 07:29
Kerry,

I hear ya.

As I mention, I am not in any way associated with Giottos, but I (and my friend Chauncey Walden) liked their products enough to give them a very positive review. So, I just wanted the OP to be aware of other tripod options that can be researced.

Thanks

I just wish Bob didn't have to mention the lower pricing on the Giottos Lava series from last year as now they are probably in the $175 range which is $50 less than online pricing. Then again, I don't have a local store and a local store would likely charge $20-$25 to ship it anyhow, so I'm not too sour over it;):):)

One thing you forgot to mention about the Giottos (model I mentioned) is they also come with the center column piece...

audioexcels
14-May-2008, 07:45
How much lighter seems to be the only question to consider at this point. Freisol is the lightest and most versatile. It's also more expensive when you add in the center column that comes free with the Giottos and especially if he can buy the Giottos at a store with the continuous clearance pricing. Coming from 5.5lbs to 4lbs is a major difference. Coming from 5.5lbs to 2.6lbs maybe makes the user feel that the pod is not so stable or strong as the 4lb Giottos. I would personally take the Freisol if it has similar stability/feel/etc. Cost difference is so little it's pointless to buy one over the other. How stable the Freisol is vs. the Giottos is the only question I would consider in this decision since these two seem to be the obvious values on the market right now and should serve their purpose just excellently for many years to come. Being a weight freak, I'd love to have the $500 2.3ish? lbs Freisol if it was a Pod that is as stable/fluid/transparent as the Giottos or other similarly well built pods.

mrladewig
14-May-2008, 11:20
Coming from 5.5lbs to 2.6lbs maybe makes the user feel that the pod is not so stable or strong as the 4lb Giottos.

Quite frankly, you're way off base with this comment. I switched from a 5 pound 3021 with a 3 lb 3030 panning head to a 3lb Velbon 630 with a 1 lb Acratech. The weight loss from 8 pounds to 4 pounds is VERY noticable on a pack... AND the velbon/acratech combination is more stable than the Manfrotto.

In particular on the Velbon the spider and legs are stiffer than the bogen/manfrotto and it is quite noticable even though both tripods have the same weight rating.

Of course as was mentioned before, weight ratings have absolutely no standards and don't take into account factors like torsional strength.

I'm not trying to discredit the Giottos nor tout the Feisol. I've owned one of Giottos aluminum tripods as well and I think there is alot of good to be said of their construction and feature set. I haven't seen many Feisols in person but the ones I've seen seem pretty nice. I'm only saying that lightweight doesn't inherently equal unstable. In fact the move from aluminum to CF generally results in a much more rigid tripod at a significantly lower weight.

Also as a metallurgical/materials engineer in my schooling, I would point out that the carbon and "lava" or "basalt" tripods are technically very similar. In both cases the tripod is made of a plastic reinforced with a fiber. In the lava or basalt models its technically a type of glass which is heavier and less strong than carbon fiber. I would assume that the plastics (typically an epoxy) are the same in both types of tripods and that only the fiber composition (what type and how much) changes.

audioexcels
14-May-2008, 15:48
[QUOTE=mrladewig;349071]Quite frankly, you're way off base with this comment.

You missed the word "maybe". Basalt and Carbon are relatively similar in strength as you mentioned, but the point is how much of each is used to make each as strong as possible. Carbon is a lot more expensive than Basalt.

Your setup comparison is like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari. One gets you from point A to B. The other gets you from A to B effortlessly/transparently/and in style.

Your current legs have been compared to those in the $500-$600 class, but I don't think anyone is going to be putting those Manfrotto legs into any class remotely similar. The Acra-head is also in a different league.

I'd mention your legs as a highly viable possibility for the OP as one may find a set on the used market or even some place online at a nice price. From my brief research, they are certainly fine legs that are comparable with the others in discussion.

Given the weight management of the legs you use, may as well add these to the mix...

http://www.adorama.com/GTGB2138.html

$185 and 3.3lbs...

mrladewig
16-May-2008, 12:41
The Velbon I use is a relatively affordable tripod. I paid $280 or so for it. The Acratech head on the other hand is not particularly cheap, but this was a huge weight savings and worth it for me. All of the upper level ball heads start at the same price. This setup is not Gitzo and certainly no Ferrari (although Gitzo's ballheads are a bit on the heavy side).

I considered the Giottos you mentioned as well as their carbon model, but ultimately decided on the Velbon. I also looked at Gitzo, Slik and Manfrotto. It wasn't a knock on the Giottos. I like the flip locks on the Velbon and I thought it was the best fit for my needs and budget.

I would have taken a closer look at the Feisol, but it wasn't available through a US distributor at the time, wasn't exactly clear what the specs were as they were changing their line and I'd only seen (not handled) one or two of them, so I didn't have a good feel for what the quality would be. Today I think I'd look at them closer.

I would not consider Benro. Induro are a bit overpriced in my opinion.