PDA

View Full Version : ? For You B&W Printers Out There

Chris S
9-May-2008, 18:45
I know a lot has been posted here in the past on paper choices for b&w digital printing by you folks, so I'm just wondering what your current favorite paper and ink choices are at this point in time.After 5 years of cotton rag matte printing only, I finally popped in a PK cart in my 4800, and so far have tried Harman FB AL and Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, and while the dmax is blacker, I'm not sure if I like the look of either one.Harman is a little too glossy for me, and I'm not really keen on the Ilford tooth.Are there some other gloss options you guys like I should check out before I switch back to my MK cart and rag papers?If I could get the Harman surface with just a little less gloss I might be happy, though I am sorta missing the 3Dish look of the matte's.Thanks...............Chris

PViapiano
9-May-2008, 19:14
Although I haven't printed digitally in six months, preferring the wet darkroom, have you tried Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl?

J. Gilbert Plantinga
9-May-2008, 19:30
Museo Silver Rag! Don't even think about switching the carts until you've tried it. Wonderful in color too.

Gilbert
http://www.gilplant.com
Http://www.upstatelight.com

Donald Miller
9-May-2008, 22:49
While this is not the surface that you questioned, if you haven't switched carts yet, you might give Hahnemuhle Bamboo a try. For gloss surface, you might like the Hahnemuhle glossy fine art. I too find the Harmon gloss (not the same as the glossy fine art) a bit too much like RC paper appearance for me. I prefer the Gold Silk to that. So much of the choice of papers is highly subjective.

Joanna Carter
10-May-2008, 01:38
Fotospeed Platinum Gloss is an excellent mix of the depth of black that comes from a gloss without a high gloss finish. I also use the Fotospeed CIS in an Epson R2400 printer, but htere really doesn't seem to be any difference, apart from price, to the original Epson inks.

Chris S
10-May-2008, 10:27
Thanks for the suggestions folks.I will give these papers a try.I still have about a half full cart of Epson PK left and hate to waste it.

darr
10-May-2008, 10:47
Museo Silver Rag! Don't even think about switching the carts until you've tried it. Wonderful in color too.

I second this paper. I have used Epson Velvet Fine Art paper for about three years and recently tried Museo Silver Rag and Museo Max in the 8½ x 11" sizes for tryout. I highly recommend you look at the Silver Rag as it has changed my opinion on gloss paper. I am using it for black & white only at this time since I have a good stock of 13 x 19" Velvet Fine Art left for color.

Peter Langham
10-May-2008, 15:12
Based on your descriptions, you might try Innova Fibaprint Ultrasmooth Gloss. It is less glossy then the Harman and smoother than the Ilford.

Peter

Jim Simmons
27-May-2008, 05:16
I like all three of these PK papers: Innova Semi-matte, Ilford Gold Silk Fibre, Hahnemuhle Glossy Fine Art (Baryta). The Ilford has the smoothest surface, some bronzing at perfect light angles, and a classy warm tone. The Innova has a bit more surface texture and less sheen, is blue-white. The Hahnemuhle has the most surface texture, is bright neutral white. I like each for different reasons, but the price of the Ilford makes it hard to resist - about half the price of the others.

45photo
3-Jun-2008, 13:13
I really like Innvoa Fibraprint Warmtone.....Really deep blacks, really nice tone. Museo Silver Rag is nice, so is Epson Exhibition Fiber, but expensive.

Martin K
3-Jun-2008, 22:43
Also like the Innova Fibaprint. I use the colorbytes Imageprint rip on my 4800 so I don't need to change carts. Very nice