PDA

View Full Version : The Life and Vitality of the Film Market

steve simmons
9-May-2008, 09:05
I've heard, second hand but from a very good source, that Fuji understands the life and vitality of the sheet film market and that it is a profit center for them.

Kodak has made a new commitment to the film market based on their study 18 months ago. This is showing up in the revised version of T-Max 400 and their interest in the ULF market.

Ilford is very committed to the film market as well.

Relax, shoot and enjoy. Film is here and will stay.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com
www.foto3-2008.com

Don Hutton
9-May-2008, 09:19
Thanks God - what would we do without you.

Chris S
9-May-2008, 09:23
Good news Steve, thanks for the encouragement!

Chris

Gordon Moat
9-May-2008, 11:11
Now if I could only get E200 in Readyloads, I would be really happy with the latest films. Ilford anything in Readyload or Quickload would be cool. Come to think of it, almost any ISO 400 colour transparency film in Readyload/Quickload would be very nice. Probably not going to happen, though I am fine with the current selection of films.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

k_redder
9-May-2008, 11:27
I've heard, second hand but from a very good source, that Fuji understands the life and vitality of the sheet film market and that it is a profit center for them.

Kodak has made a new commitment to the film market based on their study 18 months ago. This is showing up in the revised version of T-Max 400 and their interest in the ULF market.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com
www.foto3-2008.com

Does this mean that people will stop giving me funny looks when I tell them I'm building a home darkroom?

Bruce Watson
9-May-2008, 11:33
Does this mean that people will stop giving me funny looks when I tell them I'm building a home darkroom?

No. They won't be able to figure out why you'd want to do that rather than sit on the couch and watch TV (like they do).

Vaughn
9-May-2008, 12:04
No. They won't be able to figure out why you'd want to do that rather than sit on the couch and watch TV (like they do).

To ease their minds, just tell them you are installing a B&W TV in the darkroom with a red safety filter across the screen as a safe light.

Actually, the mellowing of the hysteria that was happening a year or so age is nice -- our Dept Chair was fretting about cameras and paper being available in the future, etc.

Vaughn

David Luttmann
9-May-2008, 12:30
I'd just love some of the Ilford films in Quickloads.

Thanks for positive note Steve!

Andrew_4548
9-May-2008, 13:57
I'd just love some of the Ilford films in Quickloads.

And also, if Fuji are hot on the film case (and they keep plugging it with the Choosefilm website) why can't we officially get Quickloads in the UK rather than have to rely on some companies importing it from afar?

And Quickload holder production?

etc...

Duane Polcou
9-May-2008, 14:01
This is interesting, as people's buying habits are shaped not just by the current availability or lack of availability of products, but by the perceived availability of these items in the future. If F/K/I are indeed sincere about their commitment to sheet film, this should help to negate the "why should I even bother getting into/continuing with LF" syndrome.

climbabout
10-May-2008, 05:23
Just a comical sidenote to this discussion. Two nights ago the phone rang while I was in developing film. My wife answered and it was a solicitor. She told him I couldn't come to the phone as I was in the darkroom. He asked - "what's a darkroom?" A question that probably 90% of the poulation would have asked. I keep getting reminded what a small fraternity we all belong to.
Tim

Darryl Baird
10-May-2008, 06:04
Well I have to say there are still concerns if a dept. wants to keep a fully wet darkroom program alive... 35mm film cameras are getting more rare with students who are starting or dabbling in photography.

A couple of years back, we bought Canon Digital Rebel XT cameras to enable students to take the intro to digi-photo class. This year we had to find about 15-20 35mm (film) manual exposure cameras to get the same classification (non-majors) of students into the wet b&w intro class. The huge switch to DSLR caught us off guard. I guess everybody cleaned out the closet/basement and sold their cameras on ebay. :confused:

So, my new worry is finding and maintaining enough film cameras to supply students. I'm somewhat lucky in that we are one of only a few area schools with a four year program that is wet and digital. So for those yearning to go wet... we're here to serve.

Actually, the mellowing of the hysteria that was happening a year or so age is nice -- our Dept Chair was fretting about cameras and paper being available in the future, etc.

Vaughn

Marko
10-May-2008, 09:22
Just a comical sidenote to this discussion. Two nights ago the phone rang while I was in developing film. My wife answered and it was a solicitor. She told him I couldn't come to the phone as I was in the darkroom. He asked - "what's a darkroom?" A question that probably 90% of the poulation would have asked. I keep getting reminded what a small fraternity we all belong to.
Tim

Think of it this way: When you qualify someone as "repeating things like a broken record", those among us who were born after 1980 are highly unlikely to get it. Or at least 90% of them. ;)

vonstauren
10-May-2008, 11:15

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com
www.foto3-2008.com

Doesn't surprise me at all. The "life" of the film market has it logic in the film characteristic and qualities. Film, like paper, will stay with us.

Ron Marshall
10-May-2008, 15:01
There may be a few freezers up for sale!

Bob Alden
30-May-2008, 06:06
Excellent thread, could not agree more.

Prove the naysayers wrong: www.foto3-2008.com