PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Head

Thomasbroening
9-May-2008, 06:49
I am trying to pick a tripod head for my Ebony 8X10. I use a giant Gitzo (non CF) and a Gitzo pan -tilt head that I do not like. I also have the biggest RRS ball head which seams too small for the weight of the camera and 165mm super angulon. Is there a simple some-what light weight/ not too expensive solution out there?I like the idea of a geared head but am afraid of expense and weight. Thanks thomas

Cristiano Abreu
9-May-2008, 11:32
Although, I don't have an 8x10'' yet (got recently a Sinar f2 to hopefully, on a not so distant future, find an affordable 8x10'' conversion kit for it) maybe I can give you some feedback based on my personal experience, since I had an almost similar problem as yours not so long ago. I was unhappy with my Gitzo ball head (G1378M) and using it with my 4x5'' Shen Hao was far from smooth and rock solid.
So I bought a CF heavy duty gitzo tripod and a Manfrotto 808RC4 pan-tilt head. Boy, how things have changed. The head is rock solid, has tension control for heavier bodies/lenses, is moderately priced and relatively lightweight. Adjusting it is very smooth also. One thing that I like also is the big QR plate it uses (410PL). Definitely for MF and LF stuff, instead of the small square Gitzo's QR I was using before. If I'm not mistaken, the f2 monorail weights around 0.7 kilo more than the Shen Hao TZ45IIA (which is a rather heavy body by 4x5'' field camera standards) but the 808RC4 performed flawlessly with the Sinar. I'm certain that it will be more than sufficient for a 8x10'' f2 kit :)
For other options, namely for gear heads since you mentioned them, maybe you could check this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33956) with lots of good advices.

Anupam
9-May-2008, 15:50
I am trying to pick a tripod head for my Ebony 8X10. I use a giant Gitzo (non CF) and a Gitzo pan -tilt head that I do not like. I also have the biggest RRS ball head which seams too small for the weight of the camera and 165mm super angulon.

The BH-55 is rated for 50 lbs. I'd expect it to be more than a match for your 8x10.

Peter De Smidt
9-May-2008, 18:24
Which Gitzo head do you have, and what don't you like about it?

Thomasbroening
10-May-2008, 10:40
The head is a G1370. It didn't seem to stay tight when I picked up a camera with tripod and awkward to use.

Michael Graves
10-May-2008, 16:29
I've got an older Rationalle 3 that I use with my 8x10 and when that puppy is locked into place NOTHING moves. But it is a bit heavy. Still looking for a decent ball head. If Really Big Cameras ever gets the RS50 in (or whatever the number is), I plan to order one. I'll report on my successes with it here. (or lack thereof)

bbauer
10-May-2008, 18:38
I've had similar problems with a 1370 head and had some success cutting off the plastic handles and replacing them with wooden ones.

It still takes more effort to *really* lock this down, and even then with an 8x10 the platform seemed to wiggle just a little more than I felt comfortable with.

I've been using an arca B1 head and while it looks too small to handle the weight, it's been rock-solid, with all of the pros/cons that earlier threads have covered regarding using a ballhead.