PDA

View Full Version : Acratech Leveling Base (vs. U. Ball Head)

Kevin Crisp
8-May-2008, 14:24
Has anybody used one of these with a heavy camera? I have an Acratech ballhead, which I use often for 4X5 and 5X7, but was wondering if the leveling head, being short, might be stiffer for using with an 8X10 in the 13lb range with lens. (Century Universal.) If anybody has compared this with the Ultimate Ball Head for flexibility, let me know. I have used the balllhead with a camera in this range, and it is OK if the wind is pretty mild, but I was hoping the leveling base might be less flexible and better suited for this. Thanks in advance.

Dave Aharonian
8-May-2008, 20:01
Hi Kevin, I use an Acratech ballhead with my Shen-Hao 8x10 camera and while I was a bit skeptical at first, it seems to work fine. The camera is fairly light, but the ballhead surprises me with how stable it is. I've used it with a huge Eastman Portrait lens (lens and camera pretty close to 13 lbs or so) and it still holds perfectly. Hope this helps.

Kevin Crisp
8-May-2008, 20:16
Thanks. I just got a long Kirk plate that will let me use both attachments on the bottom of the camera so I'll give it a try. I can shift the camera front and back 6" in the head to keep the center of gravity over the head.

I enjoyed your website, by the way.

Eric James
8-May-2008, 21:50
Sorry - I can't offer info on the leveling base; it's an interesting idea though. I think that the post of the Acratech ballheads is the most flexible part.

As an aside, I use their V2 with a 4x5 (2.1 KG sans lens) and from time to time I've had trouble locking the camera in place; if the ball tension knob is too loose the locking knob needs to be extra tight - better to increase the tension and then lock the ball in place.

They really are great ballheads!

Keiske
9-May-2008, 06:49
Hi, Kevin. I have used bothe Acratech ballhead and leveling base for approx 8lbs. Cambo SC 4x5. They are all stable enough. But the leveling head's only 10 degree tilt has limited capability in many situation. The ballhead is really nice. Only drewback is that it adds height. After some trials and errors I have purchased a Berleback 3032 with ball and socket tripod. Its 30 degree tilt capability fill 90 percent of my needs.
In addition I now feel quick release system is not very usefull system as advertised. Berlebach spring loaded camera screw is much easy than QR.

Songyun
9-May-2008, 06:56
Thanks. I just got a long Kirk plate that will let me use both attachments on the bottom of the camera so I'll give it a try. I can shift the camera front and back 6" in the head to keep the center of gravity over the head.

I enjoyed your website, by the way.

Kevin, how is the long kirk plate compatible with Arca flip lock? RRS plates are a little bit thick, it works with screw on lock, but not with flip lock.

Kevin Crisp
9-May-2008, 08:22
I don't know what an Arca flip lock is. The Century Universal has two 1/4" attachment points, they are widely spaced so you have your choice of weight distribution point. I figured the way to go was to get an Arca style plate for the bottom of the camera that was long enough to let me use both screws on the bottom of the camera at once. Kirk makes one 6" long. That fits the top of the Acratech ballhead, and by loosening the screw I can slide the camera forward and back in the plate to shift the weight.

Songyun
9-May-2008, 08:28
I don't know what an Arca flip lock is. The Century Universal has two 1/4" attachment points, they are widely spaced so you have your choice of weight distribution point. I figured the way to go was to get an Arca style plate for the bottom of the camera that was long enough to let me use both screws on the bottom of the camera at once. Kirk makes one 6" long. That fits the top of the Acratech ballhead, and by loosening the screw I can slide the camera forward and back in the plate to shift the weight.
I am interested in the 8" plate, I just don't know if that will fit with my arca flip lock. The RRS plate doesn't fit arca flip lock.

Kevin Crisp
11-May-2008, 10:37
I realize the equipment involved is a bit obscure, but in case anyone stumbles upon this thread some day, let me say that the Kirk 6" arca-style plate works great with a Century Universal 8X10 and the Acratech ball head. You can loosen the Acratech clamp a little, and slide the camera forward or back and balance it really nicely over the head, even with a heavy lens. That takes the lateral load off the head and makes it more stable. The Kirk plate has optional end stops that keep you from accidentally sliding the camera off the head.