PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 545, 505, 405 etc

Sorin Varzaru
19-Mar-2001, 19:40
I decided to get a 4x5 speed graphic for light testing. It has a spring back. Wh at Polaroid back will fit? Will the 405 slide under the gound glass? I'd prefer to use 665,669 film (it's cheaper).

kthompson
19-Mar-2001, 20:10
I have a mid 40's era (Anniversary) Speed Graphic, and the 405 back will not fit into this. It will fit (but it's tight) into my Pacemaker Graphic (Graflok back). The 545 back will fit the spring backs, though. 405 is about an inch thick.

Sorin Varzaru
19-Mar-2001, 20:23
I'm not sure what model is mine. Here is the picture : http://columbuscamera.rrcol.com/lf/graflex/sgraph45spring.jpg<b r> I didn't received it yet so I don't know how the back looks like. The ad stated "spring back" and on the Polaroid site says it should fit spring backs. However I did find some older posts on photo.net saying it doesn't fit. I'm a bit confused. Is it possible older cameras had less "play" in the springs?

Chris Yeager
19-Mar-2001, 22:34
Sorin-

I had a similar question right below yours- heres the info they sent me-

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html#GraflokBack

The 405 will probably not go, it didnt in my Calumet 4x5, I ended up taking the springback off and using some screen door springs from the hardware store to stretch across the back board and hold the 405 in place. doesn't look half bad and works fine... I was determined to use the 405 for the reasons you mention...

Fred Sun
20-Mar-2001, 06:48
I too have the spring back Anniversary Graphic and a 405 Polaroid holder. The almost one inch thick polaroid holder can't be inserted between the ground glass and camera back without removing the springs. Perhaps the person who wrote the info on the Polaroid site meant International backs, which the 405 will fit. You could modify the Graphic by removing the springs and using rubber bands anchored with screws to hold the 405 holder in place... (yeah, I know its sacrilege but it'll work).

John O'Connell
20-Mar-2001, 08:12
</B> Pack film might be your answer, but I use an old 545 & stock up on short-dated Polaroid sheet film whenever possible -- I can get it sometimes at $11 a box for type 55. Throw it in the fridge and don't worry about the date too much for the 75% savings.

Alec Jones
20-Mar-2001, 10:23
Sorin: FYI, you have a Pacemaker pre: 1955 [because of the side rangefinder] Speed Graphic.

Peter Shier
4-May-2001, 08:25
Where do you get short dated Type 55 for 11$ a box?