PDA

View Full Version : Oh ***t !!!

Noeyedear
8-May-2008, 09:39
I've been trying to get a 5x7 set up together with many raids into ebay, today I thought the last piece of the jigsaw was in place when the darkslides turned up. Problem is they don't fit, 5mm to wide, the film area is near enough the same, but no way are these going in.
Any idea what to do?
The camera is a Plaubel Universal III, the holders are Lisco Regal 5x7.

Kevin.

Scott Kathe
8-May-2008, 09:51
Look at the very bottom of this thread :(

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-19414.html

I build a Bender 4x5 but I have no experience modifying backs but it should be possible.

Noeyedear
8-May-2008, 10:02
Thanks Scott, looks like bad news for me.
To think I nearly bought a Sinar F 5x7 on ebay which went quite cheaply a couple of days ago, but thought na I'm set with the Plaubel.
Now how do I get it adapted.... anyone?

Thanks,

Kevin.

John Kasaian
8-May-2008, 10:12
Why not just sell either the camera or the holders and get something that jiives?

Noeyedear
8-May-2008, 10:50
Yup that's one thing I'm considering, but it would be nice to get the Plaubel working. It's a lovely well made camera, the 5x4 back that's with it takes normal holders. The kit is in a bespoke alu case including bellows lens shade and period Polaroid back. The movements are rock solid and easy to adjust. So I'm not going to give up on the old girl straight away.

Kevin.

walter23
8-May-2008, 12:04
Can't shave some wood off by hand?

Noeyedear
8-May-2008, 12:18
It's metal.
Regards,
Kevin

Scott Kathe
8-May-2008, 12:58
I don't know what the back even looks like but I think a local machinist should be able to remove the metal so that a normal film holder would fit. You could try contacting SK Grimes http://www.skgrimes.com/ but it will probably be pretty expensive. Best of luck.

Scott

John Schneider
8-May-2008, 13:30
If this is what I picture it to be, then it's a simple matter to remove some metal. Of course it's only simple if you have a milling machine. Shop rates to have someone else do it are probably $50-80/hr, figure maybe 2 hours with set-up time and inspection, maybe more.

Drew Bedo
8-May-2008, 13:31
I would think that getting the proper film holders would be the answer. Why modify the camera when you just need the right part? If it is such an odd-ball camera that the film holders are not available, why not get something that matches the widly accepted standards for film holders? There are plenty of them for sale out there.

Dan Fromm
8-May-2008, 13:44
Thinking of Drew's suggestion, I took a look on ebay.de

http://cgi.ebay.de/2-Stueck-Plaubel-Planfilmkassetten-13x18-Fidelity-Elite_W0QQitemZ230249563654QQihZ013QQcategoryZ8277QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting that they're Fidelities, suggests that you might want to look for 13x18 instead of 5x7 holders. But I don't know enough to be sure of that.

Peter K
8-May-2008, 14:14
Early Peco's where equipped with backs for single film holders, specially for the format 13x18cm. This holders where common in the fifties and sixties, also used with early Linhof cameras. So you have two options: look for single film holders or for an international back 5x7"/13x18cm.

Peter K

Martin Miksch
8-May-2008, 14:21
IMO you have 5x7 holders and 13x18 darkslides, they are larger, look for 5x7 ones.
Fidelity this size holders are all named "5x7", and the real size is added "5x7", "13x18" or "11,5x16,5".
Regards
Martin

sparq
8-May-2008, 14:21
I asked a related question about single sheet film holders for Plaubel cameras here recently. It is not easy to find them these days. It might be easier to buy an international back for the Plaubel. Too bad, I have both backs for my 5x7 Profia, and I like the older one far better.

Noeyedear
9-May-2008, 10:14
Thanks everyone.
I emailed Plaubel. They can send me a new updated back (they think mine is 1954) but the cost is EUR 430. The £ isn't to bright against the Euro right now so I think that is out of the question. If this camera is circa late 50's early 60's what a credit to their engineering. Much better than later Sinars I have used and better than the Linhof baseboard I once owned. Still Euro 430 + shipping is more than the camera is worth.
It isn't possible to machine off any metal looking at the construction of the back.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Kevin.

John Schneider
9-May-2008, 11:11
Another idea would be to modify a modern 5x7 back to fit the camera. I modified an old metal Arca(?) 5x7 back to fit a Toyo 5x7 metal field. It was a pain, but it was doable. I'm sure Richard Ritter could do the same for you, and while it wouldn't cheap, I can't imagine the cost being anything near 430 Euro.

Also, it still might be possible to modify your existing back. I'd send it to Richard and let him choose the best option.

Noeyedear
12-May-2008, 02:19
IMO you have 5x7 holders and 13x18 darkslides, they are larger, look for 5x7 ones.
Fidelity this size holders are all named "5x7", and the real size is added "5x7", "13x18" or "11,5x16,5".
Regards
Martin

Hi,
13x18 and 5x7 are same external dimensions, only the film area is different.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Noeyedear
13-May-2008, 04:14
Looks like a happy ending (fingers crossed) Plaubel is doing me a deal on an ex-demo.
We have been sending emails back and forth, I have to say they have been a lovely company to deal with, I will look very favourably on any other Plaubel products that cross my path.

Thanks all,

Kevin.