PDA

View Full Version : 210 opinions ...

jeffoto
6-May-2008, 22:12
I've ended up with two, very nice 210mm lenses. One will end up for sale, and one I will keep. As I am still in the learning stage, I've yet to shoot any film (except a couple of very old Polaroids just to play) I don't have any real world knowledge of either - except reputations, of which both are very good.

What I have is the 6.3 Computar Symmetrigon and the 5.6 Caltar (a Schneider lens I believe).

Both look new, but just wondering which one the folks here would keep ...

Thanks,

Jeff

Nick_3536
6-May-2008, 22:41
Both

Neither

-)

What format? How are you using them?

I don't think either is tiny so a hiker might want something different. Does either cover 8x10? If not some one would want something different.

Looking nice is good but shoot a few sheets with each and see which one you like.

Brian Vuillemenot
6-May-2008, 22:42
I've never tried a Computar, but I have the Caltar-II-N (made by Rodenstock,same as an Apo sironar S) and it's a great lens- extremely sharp and contrasty- so I would definately keep it.

jeffoto
6-May-2008, 23:11
Ooops. Details.

4x5. For now, I'm just learning the ins and outs of large format so I'm not too worried about how the lens will be used. Both lenses are similar size, so I am mostly soliciting opinions of the two lenses from people who have used either one or both. I've read good about both, and frankly nothing bad.

Both

Neither

-)

What format? How are you using them?

I don't think either is tiny so a hiker might want something different. Does either cover 8x10? If not some one would want something different.

Looking nice is good but shoot a few sheets with each and see which one you like.

Jim Galli
7-May-2008, 08:23
Under scrutiny you would find the Caltar will cover a wider field for movements and also stay much sharper farther into the corners than the Computar will. Both are fine competent lenses but that is the difference. The Caltar is a Plasmat design. I believe the Computar is a very good tessar design? Not completely sure on that.

Vaughn
7-May-2008, 08:49
I had a 6.3 Computar Symmetrigon -- one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned (judging from 5x7 contact prints and comparing them to my 8x10 contact prints from a 300 Fuji W, a 19"RD Artar and a 210 Wollie Graphc Raptar).

It will cover 5x7 with plenty of movements -- but not 8x10. The screw-on metal lens shades they came with are nice, also. The 6.3 Computar Symmetrigon and the 5x7 camera left me involunteerily a decade or so ago, so I have a bit of a bias for the lens.

So it sounds like you have two fine lenses...the 6.3 Computar Symmetrigon is a little less known, so you might get a better price for the Caltar.

Vaughn

IanG
7-May-2008, 09:53
That's a dubious test Vaughn :D You can't really compare contact prints to asses the quality of LF lenses.

Personally I'd keep the Caltar, which ever it is (re-badged) both the 210mm Symmar and Sironar are superb lenses.

Ian

Brian Vuillemenot
7-May-2008, 09:55
I've never tried a Computar, but I have the Caltar-II-N (made by Rodenstock,same as an Apo sironar S) and it's a great lens- extremely sharp and contrasty- so I would definately keep it.

Oops, my mistake- it's the same as an Apo-Sironar-N, not "S". Still a fantastic lens, though, which can often be gotten for a pittance on the bay.

BOB BERESFORD
7-Jun-2008, 05:08
Oops, my mistake- it's the same as an Apo-Sironar-N, not "S". Still a fantastic lens, though, which can often be gotten for a pittance on the bay.

Was just wondering about that when I saw Brian posted the correction. The very recent Rodenstock apo sironar S lenses are supposed to be great new designs with better DOF ? The older apo-sironar N is excellent and rebadged as Caltar-2-N and also for Sinar.....have one and forgot the lettering....Apo Sinaron S ?
Main point is that these lenses all have top multi coating and colour transmission.

That other older lens is probably single or double coated. I'd always go with Multicoating - consistently better colour and gradation.

Jim Noel
7-Jun-2008, 09:30
You better get rid of the Symetrigon. Why don't you send it to me for a small fee? I wish I had never parted with the one I had when they first hit the market!
Jim

Vaughn
7-Jun-2008, 19:16
Jim...you missed out! Yesterday, I received a 210/6.3 Symmetrigon from MPrice that he advertized here. Nice to have one again -- and it is beautiful! Okay, it does have a slight defect that Mike pointed out in his ad, but it is minor and insignificant and just gives the lens character...a beauty mark, so to speak.

I clicked the shutter a few times and the sound of the Copol 1 shutter brought back memories of my old Symmetrigon that left me years ago. I have lenses in Copol 1 and 3 shutters -- but for some reason the sound of the #1 is different enough to trip memories.

I am awaiting a B&J 5x7 camera from Dave Parker, some holders I am trading for from Denise -- then I will be set up for 5x7 again...about 13 years after having my 5x7 kit stolen out of my truck. It will be my light-weight kit when space and weight preclude me using my 8x10 (such as on family vacations).

Vaughn

Lightbender
7-Jun-2008, 20:47
Sorry but you will probably get a variety of opinions.
Truth is you should make your own decisions.

Make some negs with both.

Also, sharpness and coverage are not everything. I got a beater 210mm f5.6 Caltar II-s and I hated it.. the barrel was way oversized and it required a huge filter. I ended up getting a Sironar-N. It only needs a 67mm filter.

Most modern lenses will have decent sharpness and coverage.