PDA

View Full Version : What is the quality of the Nikkor-W 135 f/5.6 ?

Navy Moose
5-May-2008, 17:06
Hello All,

I recently bid on a Nikkor-W 135mm f/5.6 on E-Bay as a semi-wide angle lens for landscape work.

Several reviews I saw indicate this lens is not very good. I own several Nikkor lenses for my DSLR and they are fantastic lenses. This is why the reviews seem suspicious to me.

Since most of my work is landscapes, I won't be using a ton of movement. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with this lens?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Navy Moose

Kevin Crisp
5-May-2008, 18:15
I've used the 90, the 150, the 210 and the 240, and they were excellent. It would be hard for me to believe that Nikon couldn't pull off a 135mm. I am extremely skeptical of unresearched "this is better than that" opinions on the web.

Ron Marshall
5-May-2008, 18:20
I have a Nikkor 90 and a 200, both are excellent. There is often a greater difference between samples of the same lens than between the same focal length from different manufacturers.

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

Dave_B
5-May-2008, 18:21
I have this lens. Its main drawback is a somewhat limited image circle (200mm @f22). Otherwise, it is a fine perfromer like all the modern Nikkor lenses. Like any recent lens from one of the big four, it will let you take fine photographs providing you get a decent copy of it and know how to use it. The Nikkor lenses have a look-sharp, good contrast, nothing to complain about. They do not have any special character like some of the older lenses you see for sale here and elsewhere. The Nikkors do not intrude into the picture and impose their character onto the image.

IMHO, the main issue with this lens is that is is not a classic like some others in this range. For example while people will sing the praises morning, noon and night of the Schneider SSXL 110, this lens tends to get overlooked. No one has ever called this a modern classic and never will. But because it tends to get overlooked, it does not go for what the SSXL 110 does on the used lens market. If you are looking for a decent performer on a budget, this lens is worth considering if you can get a good price and check it before you keep it.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Navy Moose
5-May-2008, 19:00
Thank you all for your feedback. The lens is for the moment bidding at a reasonable price.

richard brown
6-May-2008, 17:46
i have a copy of this lens and so does my buddy Peter.... he tested both copies with a lens resolution chart and both were the sharpest lenses he has tested. in fact, sharper and better contrast than a schneider apo symar 135 i owned and sold after the test. i agree it has limits with its circle but i got a nikkor 120SW for times i need big coverage. For landscape, the nikkor 135 is the top gun in my humble opinion. happy shooting!!!

Navy Moose
6-May-2008, 19:48
i have a copy of this lens and so does my buddy Peter.... he tested both copies with a lens resolution chart and both were the sharpest lenses he has tested. in fact, sharper and better contrast than a schneider apo symar 135 i owned and sold after the test. i agree it has limits with its circle but i got a nikkor 120SW for times i need big coverage. For landscape, the nikkor 135 is the top gun in my humble opinion. happy shooting!!!
Hi Richard,

I lost my first auction, I bid on the same lens that is in slightly better shape earlier today. My Rodenstock 150mm is a good lens, but I want something a bit wider to catch the scenic vistas I bought the camera for.

Thank you for your feedback!

Navy Moose

Kevin Crisp
6-May-2008, 19:57
I'd go for a 120mm if you have an 150. The 120 APO symmar goes for relatively little and it has more usable coverage than people seem to think it has. You can take a couple steps back with your 150 and you have a 135. And I would never bid in an eBay auction until the last few seconds. OK, I'm done with unsolicited advice.

Nick_3536
6-May-2008, 23:10
I agree. If you have an 150 I'd go wider. Maybe 105 or 90mm.

Robert Skeoch
9-May-2008, 15:07
I have a Nikon 135mm.... it's a nice lens and I think they sell in the $400 range on the bay.
-rob

Navy Moose
10-May-2008, 20:33
I bought the Nikkor-W 105mm f/5.6 from B&H this evening. I went to Calumet today to look at it and the guy behind the counter told me B&H bought out the entire stock from Nikon because it has been discontinued. He urged me to pick it up.

It isn't quite as wide as the 90mm, but I don't need to get a second bellows to use it.

I hope to have this lens in house to play with next weekend.

Thank you all.

Navy Moose

Chuck Pere
11-May-2008, 05:23
Isn't that really a lens for 6x9 cameras? Coverage will be tight for 4x5.

Navy Moose
11-May-2008, 06:33
I'm contacting B&H when they open to see if this lens will work on my 4X5. I shoot primarily landscapes. I'm a LF newbie, are there a lot of movements in large format landscape photography?

Update:
I canceled the order with B&H and I will keep looking for a good lens.

Dave_B
11-May-2008, 08:26
The Nikkor W 105 f5.6 has an image circle of 121mm @f5.6 and 155mm @f22. As stated above this will be tight for 4x5 photography. Landscape photography without much in the way of movements will be pretty dull. If you can't use movements, you might ask why you should go to all the bother of using a LF film camera.

Ron Marshall
11-May-2008, 09:13
You may have seen this table, which lists info on current lenses:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html

Navy Moose
11-May-2008, 11:21
Thank you for the table, I actually have not seen it. Do you know if it is possible to download it as an Excel spreadsheet?

I've been scouring Evil Bay and various reputable places like Adorama, B&H, and MPEX for decent used wide angle glass. I have several months before I really need one. I decided to go for a 120mm lens. Mainly because I can use my existing bellows.

jordanstarr
12-May-2008, 09:24
Just one more happy customer. I have about 4 lenses that I have stuck with in 4x5 and the 135 is one of them. Not a huge amount of movement, but a very good performer none-the-less.

Navy Moose
12-May-2008, 14:41
I was tempted to get the 135mm after canceling my order for the 105mm. The 120s are just so expensive, even used. I don't want to get the 90mm because I don't want the extra expense of a bag bellows.

If I didn't need a macro lens for my DSLR, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 120mm. I do a lot of flower photography, and after using a 28 to 70mm f/2.8 lens for two years I'm ready for the macro.

Ole Tjugen
13-May-2008, 00:31
Thank you for the table, I actually have not seen it. Do you know if it is possible to download it as an Excel spreadsheet?

Look at the top of this page. See the "LF Home Page" tab? Click that, then scroll down to "Lenses" and "Comparision Charts". You will find it there.

IanG
13-May-2008, 03:45
I don't want to get the 90mm because I don't want the extra expense of a bag bellows.

Not sure why you think you'd need bag bellows for a 90mm lens, your standard bellows on a Toyo should be fine, you'd almost certainly need wide angle bellows for a 75mm or shorter.

Ian

Navy Moose
13-May-2008, 15:29
I got the information from the B&H website when I was looking at the Toyo lens board, it mentioned the 90mm lens requires a wide angle lens board. Here is the link (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61097-REG/Toyo_View_180_601_Flat_158mm_Lensboard_for.html)

I read a few threads today on Osaka Lenses, the price for a 120mm lens is $495. The circle of coverage seems decent as well. I'm going to think about this lens and look for more reviews on it.