PDA

View Full Version : Densitometry...

satinlovemonkey
5-May-2008, 14:52
Ok, I am setting up a darkroom with a Jobo ATL2, and shopping for a densitometer to establish some good baselines for B&W densities. Back in the day, long, long ago - I worked in a photo lab. We had an X-rite 8xx series densitometer. I see a few of these on eBay, but have not bought one yet. We used it strictly for C-41, but I have read that it could also be used for B&W. Does anyone out there use the 810 or 820 for B&W? Or should I go with a transmission only X-rite 361, or something totally different? Thanks.

sanking
5-May-2008, 17:22
Ok, I am setting up a darkroom with a Jobo ATL2, and shopping for a densitometer to establish some good baselines for B&W densities. Back in the day, long, long ago - I worked in a photo lab. We had an X-rite 8xx series densitometer. I see a few of these on eBay, but have not bought one yet. We used it strictly for C-41, but I have read that it could also be used for B&W. Does anyone out there use the 810 or 820 for B&W? Or should I go with a transmission only X-rite 361, or something totally different? Thanks.

The X-Rite 810 and 820 are good densitometers for measuring reflected and transmission readings for B&W printing and they come up fairly often on ebay. You won't need an X-Rite 361, which has UV transmission reading capability, unless you plan to develop the film with a staining developer.

Sandy

Bill_4606
5-May-2008, 19:46
I've got the 810 and really like it. I called X-rite and got support for a blown bulb. A tech took time on the phone with me to make sure it was the bulb and not something else. They took my credit card on the phone and a couple of days later I had two new bulbs in hand and was back in business.
I had an occasion when I wanted to reduce the size of the light aperture so I taped a piece of aluminum foil over the sensor and put a pin hole in it and it worked great.

Recently I was in Grand Rapids, Mi on a project and stumbled on to the X-Rite Factory.
...doesn't really mean anything... just interesting to know where the factory is.
Bill Riley