PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep my big Ries?

Chris S
5-May-2008, 12:03
Hi guys, I am trying to decide whether to keep my big Ries A-100 2 ULF tripod or sell it and get the regular A-100.A couple or so years ago when I decided to get into 8x10 I ended up with a mint Calumet 18lb black beast, compendium shade, and a few large plasmat lenses.I had decided I wanted a Ries and Jeff at Badger Graphics talked me into the bigger 2 version of the A-100 after I described my camera setup.His reasoning was leverage, I was told the 25lb rating of the regular A-100 was dead weight, and that I needed to consider the forces of leverage when extending my bellows way out and shooting at extreme angles like down at the ground.Well fast forward to now.I've only used my A-100 2 a few times indoors on the carpet, so it is essentially still in brand new condition with the original box and packing material.I really want to get down to the beach and shoot tide pools, seaweed, rocks, etc., but as soon as I do I know the tripod is going to get beat up.So do I keep my A-100 2, or sell it while its still in as new condition and get the 2lb lighter A-100.I need a little advice from the more experienced LF shooters.Thanks...................Chris

Eric Brody
5-May-2008, 12:16
It will certainly cost some money to make the switch. Has the 2 pound difference really stopped you from getting photographs? If so, it's a done deed, if not, consider carefully whether 2 pounds is really worth all the hassle, or bag it and get a CF that is significantly less heavy.

I shoot only 4x5, an AS Field, so camera weight is not a huge issue for me.

Good luck.

Eric

Walter Calahan
5-May-2008, 13:11
Keep the Ries, and then get this for your low level stuff:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=TP%2D243&eq=&Tp=

I hope to add one soon for my low level 8x10 shooting.

Steve Barber
5-May-2008, 13:42
Nah!! This is the one you want:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31656-REG/Linhof_003454_Profi_III_Tripod_3_Section_.html

Chris S
5-May-2008, 17:03
Maybe I should just get a bigger camera? :D

David A. Goldfarb
5-May-2008, 17:54
Maybe I should just get a bigger camera? :D

Well, you're going to get one eventually, so you might as well keep the big tripod.

Tracy Storer
5-May-2008, 21:04
The A-100-2 is probably overkill for your C-1, I believe it was a regular A-100 + A-250 head that handled the NYC Polaroid Studios Wisner 20x24 for a couple years before the tilt-lock shaft on the head broke.

Chris S
6-May-2008, 08:37
The A-100-2 is probably overkill for your C-1, I believe it was a regular A-100 + A-250 head that handled the NYC Polaroid Studios Wisner 20x24 for a couple years before the tilt-lock shaft on the head broke.

Well I've seen that Wisner 20x24 on the A100-2 in some view camera magazine photos.So you're saying it was sitting on a regular A-100 before that?Man...even the A-100-2 looks dinky under that monster :) So Tracy it sounds like you recommend I sell the 2 and go with the regular version.You're an ULF guy, realistically whats the market demand for an A-100-2 these days, and what venues would you recommend to advertise it on?I wish Badger Graphics would have been a little more honest or had someone more experienced work with me.Thats a very expensive mistake :(

isaacc7
6-May-2008, 09:00
Well I've seen that Wisner 20x24 on the A100-2 in some view camera magazine photos.So you're saying it was sitting on a regular A-100 before that?Man...even the A-100-2 looks dinky under that monster :) So Tracy it sounds like you recommend I sell the 2 and go with the regular version.You're an ULF guy, realistically whats the market demand for an A-100-2 these days, and what venues would you recommend to advertise it on?I wish Badger Graphics would have been a little more honest or had someone more experienced work with me.Thats a very expensive mistake :(

To be fair, you haven't tried it with the smaller tripod yet.

(edited because I forgot which Ries tripod I had..)
Isaac

Chris S
6-May-2008, 09:35
To be fair, you haven't tried it with the smaller tripod yet.

(edited because I forgot which Ries tripod I had..)
Isaac

Huh?Not following you here :confused:

Tracy Storer
6-May-2008, 17:58
The NYC Polaroid Studio is currently using a metal tripod for their Wisner system. (The original "all-in-one" cameras are built on their own bipost stands.)
It really was a regular A-100 with A-250 head, they never had a -2. I used it many times on location shoots for the Polaroid Road Show series and other projects.

The A-100-2 is an awesome tripod, I would recommend it for anyone getting into 11x14 /12x20 / 14x17 or bigger. Someone will buy it, you can get a little more if you're patient, throw it up for sale here, on the Azo Forum, and maybe APUG. Be wary of scammers though, wherever you list. I was approached by a phony on AZO Forum, but figured them out. (they were asking me for too much personal info for a wire-transfer)
Good luck.

Turner Reich
6-May-2008, 22:19
It needs to be handed over to Jim the 11x14 camera builder guy.

isaacc7
7-May-2008, 02:36
Huh?Not following you here :confused:

Sorry, what I wanted to say is that you can't be sure it was misrepresented because you haven't used the smaller tripod yet. You don't know if Jeff was right or not. I then had a longer post about my 8x10 Calumet on a Ries and how I wished I had had the larger tripod. Of course when I actually checked, I didn't have the tripod you were talking about, so I just deleted the whole thing. Anyway, that's probably enough:-)

Isaac

eddie
7-May-2008, 03:07
for 2 pounds i would keep the bigger tripod if you are going to shoot the beast. if you plan to use a lighter camera and or a smallr format then maybe.

i had a bigger ries for my big old 8x10 wooden cameras and then i ordered a chamonix.....so now with the much lighter camera i decided to use a smaller tripod.

eddie

Michael Kadillak
7-May-2008, 06:57
No. I would get rid of the Ries and get something else.

I have a RIes A100 and it has a unique and very narrow application on ULF. Why? Because it is heavy and takes some time to set up which is consistent with the ULF experience. With my 35# Wisner Tech Field it is a marriage made in heaven.

I also recently acquired a black Calumet C1 8x10 Wisner and I really like it specifically with longer lenses 19 - 30" because of the fact that it is solid and it has the capability to move the screw base along the bottom of the camera to balance the load.

With this camera I really like the Bogen 3039 three way head with a quick release plate and any of the metal clip release tripods with the leg support members is a less expensive and much more flexible alternative. I have a model (410) that also has a geared center post that has come in handy. Not very expensive as well. I can set up and shoot much faster with this tripod and with a camera this heavy I would not recommend trying to put it over your shoulder and move it. As a result the quick release plate is a blessing. Flip a bar on the head and grab the camera by the strap and bring the tripod to a center position and you are off to the next shot.

The A100 is a great piece of equipment but it is heavy, cumbersome and time consuming for shooting 8x10.

Cheers!

Chris S
7-May-2008, 08:26
The NYC Polaroid Studio is currently using a metal tripod for their Wisner system. (The original "all-in-one" cameras are built on their own bipost stands.)
It really was a regular A-100 with A-250 head, they never had a -2. I used it many times on location shoots for the Polaroid Road Show series and other projects.

The A-100-2 is an awesome tripod, I would recommend it for anyone getting into 11x14 /12x20 / 14x17 or bigger. Someone will buy it, you can get a little more if you're patient, throw it up for sale here, on the Azo Forum, and maybe APUG. Be wary of scammers though, wherever you list. I was approached by a phony on AZO Forum, but figured them out. (they were asking me for too much personal info for a wire-transfer)
Good luck.

I was referring to the big Wisner being on an A-100-2 in Las Vegas here

http://www.wisner.com/vegas.htm

And thanks for the advice Tracy!

Chris S
7-May-2008, 09:00
No. I would get rid of the Ries and get something else.

I have a RIes A100 and it has a unique and very narrow application on ULF. Why? Because it is heavy and takes some time to set up which is consistent with the ULF experience. With my 35# Wisner Tech Field it is a marriage made in heaven.

I also recently acquired a black Calumet C1 8x10 Wisner and I really like it specifically with longer lenses 19 - 30" because of the fact that it is solid and it has the capability to move the screw base along the bottom of the camera to balance the load.

With this camera I really like the Bogen 3039 three way head with a quick release plate and any of the metal clip release tripods with the leg support members is a less expensive and much more flexible alternative. I have a model (410) that also has a geared center post that has come in handy. Not very expensive as well. I can set up and shoot much faster with this tripod and with a camera this heavy I would not recommend trying to put it over your shoulder and move it. As a result the quick release plate is a blessing. Flip a bar on the head and grab the camera by the strap and bring the tripod to a center position and you are off to the next shot.

The A100 is a great piece of equipment but it is heavy, cumbersome and time consuming for shooting 8x10.

Cheers!

Hi Michael, I actually have a Bogen 3039 head and a set of 3221 legs.This is what I've been using for my 4x5 outfit.What base plate are you using?I just have the hex one it came with.I did try my C-1 on it, but its not wide enough to support all four corners of my C-1 base.The camera just feels so much better to me on my Ries A-200 head.If I had the money I'd probably get the Sachtler Chris Burkett uses.

http://www.pbase.com/cloudswimmer/image/96729599/large.jpg

Jim Fitzgerald
7-May-2008, 18:46
Well, a Ries would look mighty nice under my 11x14 and 8x20 Walnut cameras that I built! Now I would have to sell a lot of stuff first! Timing is right for this as my Walnut tripod suffered a tragic blow last Friday. Needs to be rebuilt and upgraded. I'd even hate to ask how much? Why is it that these things come up when we are cash poor?

Jim

Michael Kadillak
7-May-2008, 22:03
I use the standard 3/8" hexagonal base plate for the Bogen 3039 head and while locked in place the base it sits in is about 3" square. In contrast the short side of the Calumet C1 base is only 5" wide so the differences are not significant. From a stability perspective this head works very well with the Calumet C1 for me and I like the ability to independently adjust pan, tilt and level with a twist lever that is easily accessable. The level bubbles on the tripod head are icing on the cake.

I was hesitant to acquire this camera even at a screaming deal because many folks complain about its weight and the fact that it is considered an "entry" level 8x10 but it has been a real surprise for me. I would not want to use it with short focal length lenses because you have to deal with the extension rail hitting you in the adams apple, but wih 17", 19", 24" and 30" lenses it is absolutely fabulous particularly with a bit of breeze that always comes up at the most inconvenient times. The knobs and controls are very natural and considerable thought and design engineering went into it. The bellows support wire is also a great feature. Should have picked up one of these much earlier. For shorter focal length lenses I pull out the Toyo 810M. I had the Calumet retrofitted to accept the Toyo lens boards since I already had a complete set of 8x10 glass.

Cheers!

Chris S
8-May-2008, 09:02
I use the standard 3/8" hexagonal base plate for the Bogen 3039 head and while locked in place the base it sits in is about 3" square. In contrast the short side of the Calumet C1 base is only 5" wide so the differences are not significant. From a stability perspective this head works very well with the Calumet C1 for me and I like the ability to independently adjust pan, tilt and level with a twist lever that is easily accessable. The level bubbles on the tripod head are icing on the cake.

I was hesitant to acquire this camera even at a screaming deal because many folks complain about its weight and the fact that it is considered an "entry" level 8x10 but it has been a real surprise for me. I would not want to use it with short focal length lenses because you have to deal with the extension rail hitting you in the adams apple, but wih 17", 19", 24" and 30" lenses it is absolutely fabulous particularly with a bit of breeze that always comes up at the most inconvenient times. The knobs and controls are very natural and considerable thought and design engineering went into it. The bellows support wire is also a great feature. Should have picked up one of these much earlier. For shorter focal length lenses I pull out the Toyo 810M. I had the Calumet retrofitted to accept the Toyo lens boards since I already had a complete set of 8x10 glass.

Cheers!

Hey Michael, on the short lens issue, I had a long phone conversation with Christopher Burkett one day in which he gave me some great tips.One that I put into practice was buying a second C-1 dirt cheap on ebay for spare parts, and cutting the rail down so your not getting poked in the chest with short lenses.Now I can carry the stock rail and the cut rail and switch them back and fourth quickly as lens size dictates.

Cheers

Michael Kadillak
8-May-2008, 14:27
Hey Michael, on the short lens issue, I had a long phone conversation with Christopher Burkett one day in which he gave me some great tips.One that I put into practice was buying a second C-1 dirt cheap on ebay for spare parts, and cutting the rail down so your not getting poked in the chest with short lenses.Now I can carry the stock rail and the cut rail and switch them back and fourth quickly as lens size dictates.

Cheers

If that works for you it is sure a heck of a long cheaper than my Toyo 8x10. Just goes to show you that it is not always good to listen to conventional "wisdom" in your photographic formulative period.

Cheers!

Michael Kadillak
13-May-2008, 16:33

Cheers

Then I assume that you must have also cut the silver extension rail and likely spot welded it in place because you would be removing the rear side clamps that hold these in position? A stop bar would also be a nice feature so you do not unintentionally bring the rear standard off the end of the rail.

Tracy Storer
13-May-2008, 16:38
I was referring to the big Wisner being on an A-100-2 in Las Vegas here

http://www.wisner.com/vegas.htm

And thanks for the advice Tracy!

OK, FAIR ENOUGH, we were at PMA in Vegas, and Keith Soderstrom of Ries shared a booth with Wisner. The "-2" was from his show stock, that system was sold to an Italian customer. When the NYC studio got their system later on Ron gave them his own regular A-100.

Cheers.