PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Selling My Computar

Brian Bullen
5-May-2008, 11:34
I have a new in the box 240 computar that I'm not planning on using anytime in the near future. What are these lenses going for lately? This one has no shutter so I know that will bring the price down a bit. I'm chomping at the bit to start wet plate and need to amass the necessary items. Should I hold onto the lens or let it go now? Any input would be great, thanks.

hase
5-May-2008, 12:28
don´t sell your computer
you won´t be able to attend this forum any more
;-)

Monty McCutchen
5-May-2008, 17:35
Hold on to it Brian. Their coverage is just near impossible to beat and if you can swing wet plate any other way I would. It took me a long time to get my 270 and like you I haven't spent the money or time to find the Copal 3s that I need to get for it but when I do my 7 x 17 and 10 x 12 will have another option to use.

Lenses are like books. Once you get them you should never sell them!!!!!!

Monty

BarryS
5-May-2008, 21:27
I'll take the opposing viewpoint. If you have no plans to use the lens--sell it and use the money for your current projects. The Computars sell for good money these days, so you'll get a nice chunk of cash and someone will get a fine lens they can put to use. The point of photography is not to see who can have the best estate sale.

Asher Kelman
5-May-2008, 21:35
I'll take the opposing viewpoint. If you have no plans to use the lens--sell it and use the money for your current projects. The Computars sell for good money these days, so you'll get a nice chunk of cash and someone will get a fine lens they can put to use. The point of photography is not to see who can have the best estate sale.
I think that the Computar will go up at least 50% in the coming year. It's new so that there is no risk to it! It's like money in the bank with a far better interest rate. Keep it as long as you can. I have one or I'd buy it!

Asher

Dave Wooten
5-May-2008, 22:40
Is there more than one 240 computar? PB what is the max f stop on your lens?

John Powers
6-May-2008, 03:39
[QUOTE=Monty McCutchen;

Monty[/QUOTE]

....and it doesn't hurt to use them both again and again.

John,
living in a house that will never blow away because of all the books on the shelves, floor, under the bed...

Brian Bullen
6-May-2008, 11:13
Hold on to it Brian. Their coverage is just near impossible to beat and if you can swing wet plate any other way I would.

Monty
Monty, a very good point and I think your comments helped me stay in touch with reality. They are so hard to come by and who knows what my tastes will be in 20 years from now. I do always regret selling most things photographic. Maybe I'll put some Bausch and Lomb projection lenses on the block, those are fairly common. Anyone interested in an 18" B+L Triplet?

The point of photography is not to see who can have the best estate sale.
Mine, Mine, Mine! You'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers!:D Seriously though, I do feel the way you do sometimes and deep down inside I know the lens will get used at some point. Probably not as much as it should.
Thanks all for the comments, I guess I'll have to be patient. I hate being patient.:)