PDA

View Full Version : B+w, Heliopan, or Singh Ray for Warming Polarizer

Rust Never Sleeps
4-May-2008, 08:28
I am looking at getting a warming polarizer and need a little help on getting one. I would love the Heliopan KR1.5 Kaesemann Warm Linear Polarizer or the Circular version but they are getting hard to find. B&H doesn't have the 77mm version I need and the other places I have tried it is a special order item. I am still waiting for a response from Jim at Midwest Photo.

As for the B+W, it is not that hard to find a KR1.5 77mm especially the circular but it does not have the numerical markings along the filter ring like the Heliopan. Neither the Heliopan nor the B+W come in a slim version with 5mm rings. Probably about 7mm-8mm on those which might be a problem on the 65mm(58-77 step up) and the 75mm(67-77 step up). I don't plan on using the polarizer on wide angle lenses too often but it would still be nice to have a slim when I do need it.

The Singh Ray LB Warming Polarizer I have heard a lot of good things about but it is expensive for the slim version at $240 for a 77mm considering the filter does not come in brass rings and is not coated. But in does come in a slim which is nice and I think the warming effect on the LB is a little stronger than the KR1.5

I need a filter soon so at this point if I can't get the Heliopan in time I think I might spring for the Singh Ray even though I really wish it came in a brass ring and was coated(at least single). I have a Arca-Swiss lens hood coming so that should take care of the coating issue, mostly anyway. I hope to get the hood to work with the 65mm Grandagon.

Any thoughts, Thanks...

Bob Salomon
4-May-2008, 09:51
Russ,

Heliopan has discontinued warm polarizers but we may still have some in stock. As they are Kaesmann type polarizers the glass is thicker then a regular polarizer and they can not be made in a slim style. If you call us on Monday we can check stock on these. You can then order it, if we still have any, from your dealer. That would include B&H. As they are no longer made they are no longer in our price list in most sizes so B&H may have taken them out of their computer. 800 735-4373

Eric James
4-May-2008, 14:39
I special ordered two very expensive B+W warming polarizers from B&H - they were not returnable. Imagine my surprise when I learned that they didn't have threads on the outer rim. What a joy it is to fumble around with gaffers tape and a Cokin P adapter ring when the light is changing. If you plan to use your warming polarizer with GND filters consider my plight. I think that the Lee system is the best way to alleviate this problem, especially with their new wide hood and polarizing filter combo (it's not a warming polarizer though). I would guess that most slim designs aren't threaded on the outer rim.

Bob Salomon
4-May-2008, 14:52
Eric,

Not only are the Heliopan polarizers numbered around the rim but all the Kaesmann types come in rings with front threads.

Steve Hamley
4-May-2008, 18:33
Gents,

My most used filter is an uncoated Heliopan warm tone Kaesmann polarizer. I like the tone better than the B+W warm tones, but can't say I can tell a lot of difference in the neutral ones.

The 77mm Heliopan Kaesmann is very thick and is not suitable for use on wide angle lenses like the 55mm Apo Grandagon. It has front threads as Bob notes. For wides, you need a wide angle filter, and those typically do not have front filter threads regardless of brand. So maybe Eric ordered wide angle filters. And if they are, you very likely can't use the GNDs on a wide angle (depending on how wide) without just taping the GND to the lens cell or polarizing filter, so you'd be very likely to be taping in the WA situation even if the filter had front threads. Been there, done that.

A nice thing about the new Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer is that filter compensation is 1-1/3 stops instead of the 2 stops I use for the Heliopan and 2-1/2 to 3 stops recommended by other manufacturers.

I wouldn't worry about not having coating - polarizers increase contrast so much it isn't an issue IMO.

Now what I'd really like to have is a 105mm Singh-Ray vari ND for those fast portrait lenses - and they will make custom sizes. But with the 82mm at $390, you'd have to want a 105mm very badly. Sort of makes $210 for the polarizer look cheap.

Cheers,

Steve

Ben Chase
4-May-2008, 20:32
The Singh Ray LB Warming Polarizer I have heard a lot of good things about but it is expensive for the slim version at $240 for a 77mm considering the filter does not come in brass rings and is not coated. But in does come in a slim which is nice and I think the warming effect on the LB is a little stronger than the KR1.5

Any thoughts, Thanks...

I have a 77mm non-LB Singh-Ray warming polarizer that I'm selling on the "bay" right now (username chase-central). The difference is that you lose 2 stops of light with the non-LB version. It is a fantastic filter. I have an 82mm however, so I'm selling that one so that I can just carry one size of filter with step-up rings in the field. It's not the slim model however.

Alternatively - you could always just hold a warming filter in front of a standard polarizer, that way you aren't stuck with just one warming strength built into the one filter.