PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss increases price

Ling Z
2-May-2008, 16:44
I talked to Rod with Photomark today, and I was told Arca Swiss was going to increase its price by as much as 20% from this month. We now live in a world of inflation, and photographic equipments are no exceptions.:(

Eric James
2-May-2008, 16:57
Fuji prices jumped 20% on 5/1/8, according to Jeff at B.G.

audioexcels
2-May-2008, 17:00
I talked to Rod with Photomark today, and I was told Arca Swiss was going to increase its price by as much as 20% from this month. We now live in a world of inflation, and photographic equipments are no exceptions.:(

Good think you have the best cam of anything I have seen on the market;)...Glad you got that one (the 8X10 of course). One other 810 was appealing on Ebay and it went cheap, but without the Orbix which is something that makes your cam equivalent in price. You also seemed to get a rather unique specimen, weight wise, than the one that sold on Ebay, and of course from a Forum member makes it very special.

Price hike reminds me of the speaker world and how they had to inflate the price of raw drivers from manufacturer's like Seas. Totally bunk/lame if you ask me. Not only is the Euro overkill right now, but 20% increase? Reverse back during the times when Thalman and many others were picking up things from Europe when the EUR was basically .75 of the dollar and we now see basically a close to 1.6 to the dollar+20% of that...I can't do the math quickly, but it's well, overkill;).

Cheers!

mikec
3-May-2008, 01:43
As the name implies Arca are a Swiss company. Swizerland does not use the Euro, but the Swiss Franc. If we just take the last year as an example: (x-rates.com)
swiss franc dollar rates
---------------------------
April 2007 0.824858
April 2008 0.986519
% rise 19.60
You would have been better off with euros at a % rise of 16.58
So just on the exchange rate, the rise appears justified. Add in the fact that the cost of materials/energy has increased in real terms over the same period , Arca are probably sitting on most of the cost differential themselves.

mikec
3-May-2008, 02:20
P.S. as Fuji was mentioned; if you take the same period, the dollar fall is 15.84% , so Fuji are factoring in more of the materials cost rise I guess. I know if I had any money, I would be buying in the US market right now esp for used items. Even taking high shipping and the 22% import tax here into account it can be cheaper to import from the US.

Bob Salomon
3-May-2008, 05:10
As the name implies Arca are a Swiss company. Swizerland does not use the Euro, but the Swiss Franc. If we just take the last year as an example: (x-rates.com)
swiss franc dollar rates

At the risk of raising the hackles of some. The name may imply Swiss but the factory and the company, today and for the past several years, is French. So that would imply the Euro.

mikec
3-May-2008, 06:11
thanks for the correction Bob. I had seen that it was started in Zurich and supposed that it was still Swiss.

BrianShaw
3-May-2008, 06:42
At the risk of raising the hackles of some. The name may imply Swiss but the factory and the company, today and for the past several years, is French. So that would imply the Euro.

That's hilarious... I didn't knowthat. So Arca Swiss is French, and Hispano Suiza (luxury auto from the 1930's) was Spanish. I know that lots of Swiss cheese is made in Wisconsin. Are the Swiss Guard really Swiss any more?

Herb Cunningham
3-May-2008, 07:45
While I have 3 Arca Swiss cameras, the price has not been my problem. I had a 5x7 on order for many months and finally cancelled the order after their promises of delivery kept being pushed back month by month. The truth is not in their production people.

Once they can supply the goods, price will matter. Also, if we see a decline in the Euro, how long will it take for a reduction in price?

vonstauren
3-May-2008, 11:15

thanks for the correction Bob. I had seen that it was started in Zurich and supposed that it was still Swiss.

Mikec, the Arca Swiss is a Swiss company with a manufacturing factory in France. To call it a French company is as correct as to call American computer firms Taiwanese firms because the computers are manufactured there.
If you press Bob Solomon on this point, he will tell you that you can choose between French and Swiss company for the Arca Swiss cameras.
You'll see... he'll tell you...:)

vonstauren
3-May-2008, 11:18

Nothing to wonder about, Ling. It's a Swiss company - you can see that on the Swiss price too:)

Bob Salomon
3-May-2008, 11:43
Mikec, the Arca Swiss is a Swiss company with a manufacturing factory in France. To call it a French company is as correct as to call American computer firms Taiwanese firms because the computers are manufactured there.
If you press Bob Solomon on this point, he will tell you that you can choose between French and Swiss company for the Arca Swiss cameras.
You'll see... he'll tell you...:)

Their address is in France, their phone number is in France and their email address is in France.

So by your definition that makes them Swiss. So be it.

vonstauren
3-May-2008, 11:49
Their address is in France, their phone number is in France and their email address is in France.

So by your definition that makes them Swiss. So be it.

Here we start it again. I was not mistaken about it. :) "Their" = of the factory in France ? The Swiss address was already given to you once, together with the American address... French you said? :) The Taiwanese computers are good too. Maybe they are Chinese?

Ben R
3-May-2008, 11:53
Grow up, they are a company in France therefore they are governed by the Euro not the Swiss Franc which is the point that Bob has been trying to make. Your lack of the grasp of modern worldwide corporate structuring does not serve to diminish from that.

vonstauren
3-May-2008, 12:17
Grow up, they are a company in France therefore they are governed by the Euro not the Swiss Franc which is the point that Bob has been trying to make. Your lack of the grasp of modern worldwide corporate structuring does not serve to diminish from that.

A company in France? Can you explain? Or a factory in France? In Switzerland you buy the Arca Swiss cameras for Swiss francs, not euros. I know, I'm actually living in Switzerland.:D You know what? Even the Swiss franc got stronger against the American dollar! You don't even need to see the dollar downfall in euros anymore. Did you see recently the Taiwanese (Chinese) computers? They don't even sell them for dollars there, Taiwanese throughout! Sorry, Chinese. But then the currency is not Chinese so...

r.e.
3-May-2008, 21:13
As I understand it, Arca-Swiss is based in Besancon, in France but close to Switzerland.

The big question is where Arca-Swiss makes its products. If in Europe, an increase in price vis a vis the US dollar is inevitable.

If Arca-Swiss makes its products in Asia, an increase in price is harder to explain.

What bothers me is the apparent refusal to have a web site. M. Vogt, who owns the company, is perfectly capable of showing up at New York's major photo show. But he has clearly decided that he won't have a web site. This is odd.

Marko
3-May-2008, 21:39
That's hilarious... I didn't knowthat. So Arca Swiss is French, and Hispano Suiza (luxury auto from the 1930's) was Spanish. I know that lots of Swiss cheese is made in Wisconsin. Are the Swiss Guard really Swiss any more?

Hispano-Suiza was founded by a Spaniard who then hired Swiss engineer to design cars, hence the name.

As for the Swiss-cheese-made-in-Vt, it resembles the real Emmentaler as much as Panda Express resembles real Chinese food. :D

Marko
3-May-2008, 21:47
A company in France? Can you explain? Or a factory in France? In Switzerland you buy the Arca Swiss cameras for Swiss francs, not euros. I know, I'm actually living in Switzerland.:D You know what? Even the Swiss franc got stronger against the American dollar! You don't even need to see the dollar downfall in euros anymore. Did you see recently the Taiwanese (Chinese) computers? They don't even sell them for dollars there, Taiwanese throughout! Sorry, Chinese. But then the currency is not Chinese so...

If the factory is indeed in France, then so are its costs and expenditures. And then so are their prices. Used to be much more complicated before the Euro.

These are interesting times - even Swissair is now owned by Lufthansa and I hear that Aeroflot is going to acquire Alitalia... ;)

Marko
3-May-2008, 21:49
What bothers me is the apparent refusal to have a web site. M. Vogt, who owns the company, is perfectly capable of showing up at New York's major photo show. But he has clearly decided that he won't have a web site. This is odd.

Why would that bother you? It's their company so they get to decide about their marketing strategy.

Perhaps he is making a statement "No digital here!". If so, that's at least consistent. ;)

vonstauren
4-May-2008, 10:01
snip

Yet, there was a time when it was said that M. Vogt spoke about preparations for the AS website. My theory is that hearing their company is regarded as a French one he got so p...off that he said - enough is enough, no web site! But then, the quality and the excellence of AS cameras don't need any... It sells like a hot cake...

audioexcels
5-May-2008, 02:58
According to FLAAR's visit in 1998 (that's 10 years ago), they said this about Arca Swiss:

"Arca-Swiss is rather obviously Swiss-made, as solid as the Alpine mountains of that country. Swiss precision is legendary so here is a camera you can count on. Let us hope this tradition continues in their new home in southeastern France."

If this is the truth, that is, what FLAAR says is true of the quote above, then Arca is a "natively" Swiss company that shifted to France to build the same and newer cameras. This is obviously due to not having to import their cameras=major VAT fees. As well, the Euro has something to do with it, but the VAT is a massive fee, take 20% as the average. So say you have 1 Million worth of cameras you want to sell, it makes obvious sense not losing 200K by moving the business over to France. Just take that same 200K and that goes quite a long ways towards having the business in any country of choice where they can profit both on overhead, country taxes, etc. etc. Which is why even Corps here have abused the tax system by filing their sales taxes in states that do not have tax since their claim of having wherehouses in these states makes it legitamate to avoid a ton of taxed income. Hence, a lot of states have changed their legislation to attempt companies like Wal-Fart from pulling millions on the IRS.

Back to the point...on Arca (my opinion)

I don't see how one can say that Arca cameras are French cameras. They may be manufactured in France, but they are not historically/evolutionarily/present day French based cameras, having nothing to do with France aside from a pure business standpoint that enables them to even continue to remain in existence.

Put it this way. A group of highly skilled craftsmen/women come from some part of Europe/Asia/wherever really, and they make exactly what they have been making during the country's entire history, maybe adding bits here and there to blend in a balance of more modern and traditional stuff. How can one argue that the same exact product that you would buy if you travelled over to the country is not the same here as it is there? Oh, maybe they use American soil and materials...hence, it's an Amero-Euro traditional product...

Ling Z
5-May-2008, 08:57
Yet, there was a time when it was said that M. Vogt spoke about preparations for the AS website. My theory is that hearing their company is regarded as a French one he got so p...off that he said - enough is enough, no web site! But then, the quality and the excellence of AS cameras don't need any... It sells like a hot cake...

As a long time Arca Swiss fan, I also strongly feel the website is a missing piece. Recently I decided to launch an unofficial website for all Arca Swiss owners. It's still on construction, and the domain name is www.arcaswiss.info. But first of all, I need to get the permission from Mr. Vogt. I'll keep you guys updated. Ling

Ben R
5-May-2008, 10:05
Who gives a flying *bleep*?

vonstauren
5-May-2008, 13:09
As a long time Arca Swiss fan, I also strongly feel the website is a missing piece. Recently I decided to launch an unofficial website for all Arca Swiss owners. It's still on construction, and the domain name is www.arcaswiss.info. But first of all, I need to get the permission from Mr. Vogt. I'll keep you guys updated. Ling

Personally I would be just satisfied if there were a new catalog every so often, less cryptic and easier to study. While they are nice to send you freely a lot of brochures the catalog needs overhaul.

Tomaas
6-May-2008, 21:52
Many years ago, our staff photographer considered Arca Swiss cameras for our company. We budgeted for 2 cameras but were unable to obtain any sales information whatsoever. A website would have been most helpful.

After much time and energy was spent we decided to go with Sinar and have had very good productivity from them.

If Arca Swiss vould have better service this vould be very good for them.

But, if consumer cannot obtain products from Arca Swiss, then it does not matter how much they increase their prices.

Tomaas

Songyun
6-May-2008, 22:22
Many years ago, our staff photographer considered Arca Swiss cameras for our company. We budgeted for 2 cameras but were unable to obtain any sales information whatsoever. A website would have been most helpful.

After much time and energy was spent we decided to go with Sinar and have had very good productivity from them.

If Arca Swiss vould have better service this vould be very good for them.

But, if consumer cannot obtain products from Arca Swiss, then it does not matter how much they increase their prices.

Tomaas
I have been looking the information about the weight of P1 ball head for almost 1 year before recently a member of this forum told me the weight of his P1 ball head.
During last year, I have
1. looked up the internet, B&H, Badger, Adorama, none of them has the weight on the information page.
2. looked up the arca swiss brochure. No information regarding the weight of P1.
3. gone to the local store Midwest Photo nothing in stock. Delivery date has been pushed back...
4. contacted arca distributor in Chicago, she told me, there is no information at hand, and no P1 head at hand, so she doesn't know the weight of the head.
5. For once, I found out Adorama has it in stock. Called their CSR, was told the ball head is in the warehouse, and they wouldn't be able to go to the warehouse and weigh the ball head for me.

Arca products are amazing, but the quality of the service really can not match with their product.

Emmanuel BIGLER
7-May-2008, 07:49
Hey ! Oldies seem to increase in price as well ;-) (this one is definitely Swiss ;) )
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Arca-Swiss-Reflex_W0QQitemZ260236080535QQihZ016QQcategoryZ8277QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122

Dominique Cesari
16-May-2008, 09:18
Arca-Swiss is now in Besancon, France, but I think that they still are Swiss-minded.
By the way, Hispano-Suiza eventually settled in Bois-Colombes, France, in Paris neighbourhood (I live there). They built the motors for French planes during WWI.

toyosnapper
24-May-2008, 02:54
Nothing to do with price really, but has anyone any comments to make on the 8 x 10 F-line C, especially the new one with 141mm mounts? Dennis.