PDA

View Full Version : wisner questions:

BigSteveG
1-May-2008, 19:49
Can anyone tell me about the "Pocket Expedition" 5x7? I'm wondering if the back is reversible. If not, does it have 2 tripod mounts? Any help is greatly appreciated.

QCC
1-May-2008, 19:58
Yes it has a reversible back.

BigSteveG
1-May-2008, 20:43
Cool. The reason I ask is that seems other cameras do not.

wfwhitaker
2-May-2008, 06:45
Cool. The reason I ask is that seems other cameras do not.

??

Most 5x7 cameras have a reversible back.

BigSteveG
2-May-2008, 18:14
Ok Whitaker. I'm still new to LF. I've seen some cameras listed (they were 4x5 w/ non reversible backs. Also, I think the current Chamonix may have a non-reversible? I may be confused.

wfwhitaker
2-May-2008, 18:32
Hey, that's OK. And by the way, you can just call me Will. I don't know what other information you've received, so I'm just going on what you say. I can't speak for the Chamonix, but the majority of 5x7 cameras you're going to run into on the market do have a reversible back. And there are a lot of 5x7 cameras. I've not used a 5x7 Pocket Expedition (Geary Lyons had one for sale - don't know if he sold it or not yet), but I did have the 4x5 version for a while. It's a very nice camera. Despite all the brouhaha surrounding Wisner's business practices he really did make a fine product.

Since you're new to LF, there's a learning curve as you've no doubt found. I hope you'll ask your questions unhesitatingly. And PM's are always welcome. I don't claim to know a lot, but what I do know is public domain.

BigSteveG
2-May-2008, 22:30
Hey, that's OK. And by the way, you can just call me Will. I don't know what other information you've received, so I'm just going on what you say. I can't speak for the Chamonix, but the majority of 5x7 cameras you're going to run into on the market do have a reversible back. And there are a lot of 5x7 cameras. I've not used a 5x7 Pocket Expedition (Geary Lyons had one for sale - don't know if he sold it or not yet), but I did have the 4x5 version for a while. It's a very nice camera. Despite all the brouhaha surrounding Wisner's business practices he really did make a fine product.

Since you're new to LF, there's a learning curve as you've no doubt found. I hope you'll ask your questions unhesitatingly. And PM's are always welcome. I don't claim to know a lot, but what I do know is public domain.

Thanks Will!

Mike Castles
3-May-2008, 05:44
I think the confusion may come from some of the information on the Chamonix that has been posted here. Seems I recall that they have a model (perhaps the same as the 5x8) that is horizontal only, and you would have turn the camera on it's side for vertical. But then I could just be thinking I read that). I do agree with Will, though, that most 5x7 cameras have a reversible back.

Will is being modest, he is a Great source of information and a really great guy, I have found.

steve simmons
3-May-2008, 06:11
Make sure you understand the difference between reversible and rotating. Rotating back means you do not have to remove the back and manually rotate it 90 degrees to switch from horizontal to vertical format because there is a mechnism to allow this to be done while the back stays on the camera.

Sone cameras, in order to stay light and compact will have the film holder piece fixed in place, usually horizontally so you would have to tip the camera to do a vertical photo.

Being new to lf here is my usual suspect reading list

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga
User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
Using the View Camera that I wrote.

Also, the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons