PDA

View Full Version : Digital B&W Book

Gerry Harrison
1-May-2008, 18:08
Hello,

Purchased a mid range digital camera Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 to use for visualizing shots then using what I learned and apply it to film. I use the black and white setting as this is my media preference. I am a Mac dude and use Aperture 2 for adjustments.I am enjoying this digital side of photography and need a recommendation for a good book on B&W Digital photography ( please note just B&W ). Oh please don't groan I am a film man for ever...but I find the more I learn about B&W in all its lights the better I become as a photographer.

Thanks Gerry

vinny
1-May-2008, 18:13
Groan.

Gerry Harrison
1-May-2008, 18:31
Vinny what are ya doin in the Digital Hardware section. Double groan!

Scott Kathe
1-May-2008, 18:57
Take a look at 'Mastering Digital Black and White' by Amadou Diallo. I read it a while ago and am going to do so again to help me with the 4x5 scans done on my Epson 4990.

I keep wondering why I fool with large format but I was shooting with my 4x5 the other morning near my car so I grabbed my Nikon D40 it felt totally foreign to me. The 4x5 negatives look great and I haven't even downloaded the digital files from the D40 to my computer yet.

Scott

Brian Ellis
1-May-2008, 22:19
George deWolfe has written a digital b&w book, I haven't read it but it's received good reviews. I attended his digital b&w workshop a few years back and if the book is as good as the workshop it's very good.

Greg Lockrey
1-May-2008, 22:57
I second Scott's recommendation. I have it in my library.

Greg Lockrey
2-May-2008, 01:34
Amadou Diallo had started a forum on the topic at: http://www.masteringdigitalbwbook.com/forums/index.php?&&CODE=autologin&fromreg=1 it's very new, but should become very informative.

David Luttmann
2-May-2008, 05:25
George deWolfe has written a digital b&w book, I haven't read it but it's received good reviews. I attended his digital b&w workshop a few years back and if the book is as good as the workshop it's very good.

Well worth the money for this book!