PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with all the 8x10 cameras disapearing?

Daniel Otranto
1-May-2008, 13:28
I used to shoot a lot of 8x10 black and white, gave it up for 6x9, which was foolish, as I realize that was a mistake and miss LF a lot. Couple of years ago there were tons of 8x10 gear on ebay and now theres nothing and many other sites are all out of stock of their 8x10 cameras. Are manufactures totally discontinuing support for LF?

Any sites to look at for gear?

Thanks

David Karp
1-May-2008, 13:36
I think the opposite is true. From what I have heard sales of 8x10 and larger on the film side are increasing. Keith Canham told me less than 1 year ago that he was selling more 8x10 and larger cameras than 4x5 (I think that is accurate).

BarryS
1-May-2008, 13:44
I've been looking at 8x10 cameras and my experience is the opposite. Chamonix, Shen Hao, Canham, Richard Ritter, Tachihara, Arca-Swiss, Ebony, and more--all easily available new. Plus loads of old classics like Deardorfs, Kodak Masterviews and 2D's, Anscos, and B&J. Try Badger Graphic, MPEX, KEH, and keep looking on eBay--your wallet will be empty in no time. :)

Christopher Breitenstein
1-May-2008, 13:57
It hasn't disappeared, it's just landed in the hands of those that dedicated to large format photography. Im sure that the surge in available equipment a few years ago was due to Commercial Photographers changing over to digital.

yours;

John Kasaian
1-May-2008, 13:58
I think Equinox Photographic in Oregon has one on thier site. Happy hunting! :)

Bob Salomon
1-May-2008, 14:02
We just received the latest Linhof distributor price list from the factory effective May 1, 2008 (today). All 8x10 cameras are no longer listed. The 2007 price list still offered the GT and GTL cameras in 4x5 and 8x10. So effective today, Linhof no longer offers an 8x10. But they did introduce a new 4x5 digital camera body, the RD 1 for copy stand use.

So Linhof now offers seven 4x5 cameras, two 6x9cm cameras, one 6x17cm camera and one 6x12cm camera.

For those of you with 8x10 Linhof monorail cameras they do still offer the accessories for those cameras (B and later models).

Mike Lopez
1-May-2008, 14:40
PM sent.

Jim Galli
1-May-2008, 15:28
You actually live in an 8X10 hot bed. Go down the road to Townshend and visit Richard Ritter, the fellow who made the 8X10's for Zone VI. www.lg4mat.net

I do feel that we have seen the mass transfer of these cameras from their original purchaser / users / professionals to a secondary group now that is mostly hobby related folk. You can see any number and quality of 8X10's changing hands almost daily on Ebay.

I also feel they have become sort of trendy and many are getting bought, tried, and set in a corner when folk see that they are a different breed from the 4X5 etc.

John Bowen
1-May-2008, 16:22
Daniel,

By all means, visit Richard Ritter. Richard is currently making me a 6.25 lb 8x10 camera. I purchased an 8x10 about 4 years ago and haven't shot more than 50 4x5 negatives since (vs 750 8x10 negatives). I love the large ground glass of an 8x10 and yes, the lenses, holders and film are expensive, but what the hell, you only go around once in life, so I might as well enjoy it!

erie patsellis
1-May-2008, 16:36
Seems to be an abundance of them, at least in my house...:)

erie

Bruce Barlow
1-May-2008, 16:44
I own the only Richard Ritter 8x10, which means I got the first one. 6 1/4 pounds! I love it unabashedly. It is so incredibly easy to use.

More in the upcoming View Camera, but suffice it to say Richard has a winner. He also has no living room, it having been taken over by stacks of parts for his run of 8x10s.

Glenn Thoreson
1-May-2008, 16:51
There are actually quite a few 8X10 cameras going through the auction site. The prices are rising pretty dramatically and they sell fast. Over all, from my price watching habit, I can fairly safely state that the used large format equipment of all sizes is gaining in popularity. Well, demand anyway. 35mm may be passe' but the big stuff isn't. I'm glad I grabbed everything I could while the prices were at rock bottom.

evan clarke
1-May-2008, 17:29
Lots of new ones. You can get a nice double extension Tachihara for about $1400...new...Evan Clarke

Michael Graves
1-May-2008, 17:38
Seems to be an abundance of them, at least in my house...:)

erie

I've only got two in mine. Plus two 5x7's and three 4x5's. I gotta seek therapy.

erie patsellis
1-May-2008, 17:45
Michael,
I'm down to 2 4x5, 3 8x10 and 1 16x20/20x24, after my S.W.M.B.O. (She Who Must Be Obeyed) declared some had to go and I'm on the fence about selling the C1, as I really enjoy taking it out, as opposed to lugging the Sinar 8x10 P around. I probably will, as the field camera I built is even smaller and lighter, not that it's that hard to be lighter than a C1 (!)

erie

Jon Wilson
1-May-2008, 18:56
Michael, they are out there...just search. I am down to 3 5x4s, 1 5x7, 1 8x10, and 1 11x14. Love them all. Only wish I had the time to use all of them....not to mention my number of lens......but that is most the fun! Making the time to use them.
BTW, there is an 8x10 V8 for sale on this forum at a very good price...although I know nothing of the seller. Jon

audioexcels
1-May-2008, 22:19
Daniel,

By all means, visit Richard Ritter. Richard is currently making me a 6.25 lb 8x10 camera. I purchased an 8x10 about 4 years ago and haven't shot more than 50 4x5 negatives since (vs 750 8x10 negatives). I love the large ground glass of an 8x10 and yes, the lenses, holders and film are expensive, but what the hell, you only go around once in life, so I might as well enjoy it!

Sharing your impressions with 8X10 and I'm sure larger cameras, the view through that glass is astonishing vs. 4X5. It's not difficult to compose with 45, but 810 simply looks massive by comparison, and well, IS! And that's a great thing. I find a compromise camera of say 4X10/5X7/5X8/Whole Plate, etc. are also very excellent choices because the GG is still much nicer to look through than the 45. For me, at least, it's nice to be standing and looking through, rather than standing and wondering...as in 45 has me wondering and squinching to compose vs. the larger than 45 cameras.

8X10 is a major market right now, as are the ULF cameras. 4X5 seems to be a hotcake market for the woodfield type, but I seem to see a lot more interest going the way of the larger formats.

audioexcels
1-May-2008, 22:22
I own the only Richard Ritter 8x10, which means I got the first one. 6 1/4 pounds! I love it unabashedly. It is so incredibly easy to use.

More in the upcoming View Camera, but suffice it to say Richard has a winner. He also has no living room, it having been taken over by stacks of parts for his run of 8x10s.

That's awesome:)! Do you have specific images on your sites that show anything (Photos taken with) from your newest Ritter 6.25lber?

tim o'brien
2-May-2008, 21:37
Having recently gone through the process of buying an 8x10 off the Bay, I can't agree. While there are not 20 or 30 of these things at any one time, there was a good selection.

My problem was continually getting outbid what I thought was a fair price for a C2, a Horseman, or a Cambo... So I said the heck with it, bid early, bid moderately high, and pulled in a V-8 in great shape for under 1600.00. That included an 8x10 back, a 4x5 back, a mounted 12 inch Commercial Ektar, a mounted 190 WF Ektar, and a case. One shutter needs a going over, other than that, it's a sweet setup. I also bought at the same time a 5x7 back for it, so it's time to get rid of the 5x7 B&Js sitting around here. I do think I'll hold onto one of the 4x5 Speeds. A lot of difference between a V-8 and a speed when you are only shooting 4x5.

Keep your eyes peeled.

tim in san jose

Bruce Barlow
3-May-2008, 05:36
That's awesome:)! Do you have specific images on your sites that show anything (Photos taken with) from your newest Ritter 6.25lber?

I'll have pictures and specs in the upcoming View Camera article. That's all I have time to do for now, and it respects Mr. Simmons' "scoop." It looks like the ULF, so Richard's site has pix of that, and we have the ULF video available, too. We've been selling a number of those since the announcement of the 8x10. Pretty smart: they're basically the same in concept, so if you want to know about the 8x10, the video can get you most of the way there.

I may do a short video of the 8x10 for YouTube, but not for a while.

RichardRitter
3-May-2008, 06:19
There is a photo of the camera on another thread. As to more photos Bruce has the only camera that is 100% together and Steve gets the first scoop. If I had spare time to take photos of it I would be out photographing with it. Sorry life is to short. You don't want to see photos of the one I have been using I call it the ugly duckling. Take great photos.

The camera looks and works like its big brother the 717 camera but weights 6.4 pound. It folds up into the same space that a Deardorf, Wisner or Zone VI 8 x 10 takes up. 13 x 13 x 6. The back comes off and rotates or you can put a 5 x 7 back on.

Yes it is a wildly different looking camera. But with todays materials, a stronger more stable, lighter, and as everyone who has worked with the cameras says it is a joy to work with.

For your info I am taking orders (deposits) for early fall delivery of 8 x 10 cameras not many left. There will be no discount on this run. Price increases have eaten up the discount I was able to give on the first run.