PDA

View Full Version : A Gig in Tonopah!

Jim Galli
30-Apr-2008, 13:17
The photos on the page I'm linking to are far from perfect. In 2008 perfect has become so easy and so ordinary I'm not so sure that's what people want.

The town of Tonopah threw a party, A Night in the OLD West (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Night_in_the_OLD_West/A_Night_in_the_OLD_West.html). It was a fundraiser for the Tonopah Development Corp. and they invited me to bring my OLD west camera and do some portraits. The link above is the result.

I used an 1880's Anthony wet plate studio camera fitted with a more modern 8X10 back. On arrival and set-up I decided flash strobe would not be in keeping with the theme, and I don't have a trash can lid for gun-powder, so I would somehow use ambient room light.

So here is the challenge: A Voigtlaender Euryscop Portrait Series II lens of approx 14" F4 used wide open gave me 1/2 second with the Packard. Sharp focus plane is razor thin and it's evident even in the best of the portraits.

What the hell, I had a great time and I collected enough to cover the film used and the Bar bill.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Night_in_the_OLD_West/A_Night_in_the_OLD_West.html

Ed Richards
30-Apr-2008, 13:58
Wonderful work! Why not get some faster film?

vinny
30-Apr-2008, 13:59
Cool, Jim!

Jeffrey Sipress
30-Apr-2008, 14:03
You got some great portraits there, Jim.

I was a little scared to see a fundraiser for a 'development company' in Tonopah. Around here, we shoot them fella's.

John Kasaian
30-Apr-2008, 14:23
Neat stuff Jim! :)

Jim Galli
30-Apr-2008, 14:25
You got some great portraits there, Jim.

I was a little scared to see a fundraiser for a 'development company' in Tonopah. Around here, we shoot them fella's.

LOL, the Tonopah Development group is like a little think tank where people are trying to dream up things so we don't become a complete ghost town. So far nothing's working.

Pete Watkins
30-Apr-2008, 15:09
Jim, You're doing more than your fair share to make the developmemt group work. Keep it up. I've got a "genuine" cowboy hat that my son bought when he visited Tonopah, keep the shop open 'cos the hats under guaruntee (:-) .
Best wishes,
Pete.

Blueberrydesk
30-Apr-2008, 15:50
I'd have it made if I could make enough off of photography to cover my bar bill! :D

Congrats Jim, they look great!

Hugo Zhang
30-Apr-2008, 17:58
Jim,

It's always nice to see these stuff coming out of your lenses!!!

Hugo

Jim Galli
30-Apr-2008, 18:05
Is it true that the development corp moneyraiser is to buy a new shovel and spitoon?

After much heated discussion we've decided to buy 2 spitoons and forego the shovel. We're all too old and lazy to use one. But the spitoons will save the public-works a lot of cleanup $$.

Thanks Hugo!

Jim Fitzgerald
30-Apr-2008, 20:45
Jim, great portrait work. Nice to see that Voigtlander in action!

Jim

Mark Sawyer
30-Apr-2008, 22:49
Excellent work, as usual, Jim! And it's really good to see a large format photographer out there being of direct service to his community. We isolate ourselves in our aesthetic ivory towers too often, I think. Your work will be deeply appreciated by the people around you; there's a lot to be said for that!

Eric James
30-Apr-2008, 22:59
The Madsen Group shot is very 3D - nice.

Gerry
3-May-2008, 17:52
nice friendly images Jim...gig in the thai language is slang for a friend who you also have sex with, thought you were photographing in a different area at first !

www.gerryyaum.com