PDA

View Full Version : headstrikes with 2400

Donald Miller
30-Apr-2008, 09:21
I am having headstrike problems with one of my two R2400 printers. I have the driver set to thick paper but the problem still continues. If there is someone here who has had the problem, did you resolve the issue and if so how?

Thanks for any help.

Peter De Smidt
30-Apr-2008, 11:00
Hi Donald,

What paper are you using? Does the paper have any curl? Are you using a CIS? You might try putting an approximately 1" thick box on the output tray. This keeps the paper flatter.

Donald Miller
30-Apr-2008, 13:09
Hello Peter, I am using Ilford Gold Silk. The paper does not have a measureable amount of curl. I am not using a CIS. Do you mean a box under the output tray or on top of the output tray? I could see that placing a support under the output tray would tend to support the paper and help with any flex as it exits the printer.

Thanks for your help.

Mike Boden
30-Apr-2008, 13:55
I have a 7880 and get head strikes with sheets that aren't perfectly flat. I print predominately on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl. So what I do is 'de-curl' the paper before printing. I do this by simply running the edges and corners of the paper over the edge of a desk. Seems to work fine for me.

Peter De Smidt
30-Apr-2008, 15:01
Hi Donald,

I had problems with that very paper. I use and Ink Republic CIS, though, and that contributed to the problem. In my case the supply tubes had to be adjusted until there wasn't a problem. What happens is that the printing head is between two sets of rollers, one before the head and one after. After the far edge of the paper comes out from under the rollers before going to the print head, the far edge of the papers springs up just a little bit, and hence the strikes.

You'll notice that the paper comes out of a slot quite a bit above the output tray. The paper than bends down until it touches the tray, and it's possible that this bend causes the paper to rise up just a bit under the print head. I simply set an empty software box on the print tray. It's just thick enough such that the paper comes out and slides on the box. Since the box keeps the paper very close to height of the output slot, there's less paper flex. Adjusting my CIS tubes, along with this box thing, has gotten rid of my head strikes with the Ilford paper. I don't use the "thick" paper setting.

Donald Miller
30-Apr-2008, 15:04
Thanks again Mike and Peter. Much appreciated.