PDA

View Full Version : PARAGON 12 inch f4.5 in ILEX 5 - Soft focus?

Simon Benton
29-Apr-2008, 04:15
I received a 12 inch Ilex Paragon f4.5 Anastigmat in what I now discover is an Ilex Universal 5 shutter. (I assume it is an Ilex 5 because it takes the lens cell of an old 14 inch Commercial Ektar I have that is in a barrel mount).

The front element has its own focussing mount and moves in and out about 3/16 of an inch. It is graduated on the barrel from 0 to 5. I have never seen this before - is this some form of soft focus arrangement? The shutter has been modified for a modern flash synchronisation so perhaps it was a studio lens? I thought this lens was going to be a lot smaller and in an Ilex 3 but it is huge. Any information gratefully received.

eddie
29-Apr-2008, 04:31
hey simon,

sounds like asoft focus unit for sure. i just saw a friend's series II wolly and it had the exact set up you described. should be great for some portraits. here is (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/ilexb/p2.html) a discussion on the lens that i have....but no soft focus. sorry.

let us see some pics when you make them.

eddie

Jon Wilson
29-Apr-2008, 10:16
I had one of these items in a barrel. Yes, it truly is a soft focus portrait lens. The one I had was a 10 inch lens, had the diffuser ring, and was marked as a 5x7 portrait lens. Jon