PDA

View Full Version : Tape on bottom of 4X5 holders

Navy Moose
28-Apr-2008, 15:57
Hello All,

I just took delivery on two older used Fidelty Deluxe and Lisco Regal 4X5 sheet film holders.

When I opened the bottom of the holder, I noticed I could see light through the tape. I remember seeing a thread either here or APUG about replacing the tape on the holders. Instead of buying the specialty tape, can I use electrical tape or duct tape instead?

Thank you.

Navy Moose

cyrus
28-Apr-2008, 17:35
Hello All,

I just took delivery on two older used Fidelty Deluxe and Lisco Regal 4X5 sheet film holders.

When I opened the bottom of the holder, I noticed I could see light through the tape. I remember seeing a thread either here or APUG about replacing the tape on the holders. Instead of buying the specialty tape, can I use electrical tape or duct tape instead?

Thank you.

Navy Moose

I've used book repair tape used usually to fix book spines and have had no problems.

Whatever tape you use has to block light, and have a thickness that "fits" so that the filmholder sits flat against on the camera back. Naturally, it should be pliable and not crack or peel off easily.

big_ben_blue
28-Apr-2008, 18:37
Don't worry about seeing a little light through the tape, it's not intended to be a light trap; the "flaps" and holder are shaped to block the light (think tongue & groove).
I use hockey tape to repair my holders - works great.

MIke Sherck
28-Apr-2008, 18:40
If you look closely at the hinged end of a film holder, you will see that the wooden (or plastic) parts form the light-tight seal; the tape just holds the flaps to the end of the film holder and allows them to fold. The tape does not have to be light-tight or even any particular color. As long as the tape isn't very much thicker or thinner than the original tape, practically anything will work as a temporary repair: electrical tape, duct tape, linen tape as you would use to make corners, hinges, or mount prints to matt board, etc. Bookbinder's tape, if you can find it, makes an excellent permanent repair, as does high quality linen hinge tape. I believe that someone recently mentioned that Calumet also carries tape specifically for this purpose.

Mike

chy
29-Apr-2008, 01:47
I've used the tape sold specifically for holder hinges, gaffer's tape and black masking tape. Gaffer's tape worked very well but it's thickness might interfere with seating in some backs. Black masking tape worked very well, but I would be careful about the brand of tape and would advise using 3M as the tape is strong and the adhesive leaves no residue. I would hesitate to use electrical or duct tape primarily because of the adhesive and because those tapes do not fold well, they're kind of stiff and springy.

Glenn Thoreson
29-Apr-2008, 17:13
Calumet used to have hinge tape. Last time I looked, they were out. You might check. You should also be aware that some of the very old holders are not light trapped and depend entirely on the tape. I use some thin camera covering (leatherette) that I got some years ago. It's fabric reinforced and very similar to the original hinge tape. Sometimes it pays to buy box lots of "stuff". One never knows what might be hiding in there.

Navy Moose
30-Apr-2008, 19:36
Thank you for all the replies. I was hoping to be able to use stuff I already have. 3M black masking tape is probably the cheapest option.

I saw the light leaks when I opened the bottom and it happened to be facing the television and I saw light through the tape. Do you guys recommend removing the old hinge tape or just adding a single layer of black masking tape over the old hinge tape?

Navy Moose

Glenn Thoreson
30-Apr-2008, 19:45
Remove it. The glue is rather water soluble and pretty easy to remove. I just moisten the old tape and keep it moist until t will peel right off. Remove any glue residue before retaping.