Photographs and Text By Eric Biggerstaff

52 foto3 Workshops

54 A New Tool for the Darkroom
Photographs and Text by Alan Ross and Eric Biggerstaff

58 What Scheimpflug Forgot to Tell You: Without the Math
by Everett Weinreb

62 A Comparison of T-Max 100 and 400 Film
by Sandy King

As I promised, we will hold back the retail copies a few days to let the subscribers get them first (I hope).

At some point down the nearby road we may raise the cover price and the subscription price. We have held them constant for 15 years or so but reality is eating into the budget. I do not forsee eliminating retail sales of View Camera.

If you are interested in a first class subscription let us know by e-mailing

amiles@viewcamera.com

(This is for US addresses only)

If you live in Canada and would like a subscription please contact
skeoch@sympatico.ca

If you live in the UK please contact
mike@walkercameras.com

In the South Pacific area please contact
sales@mainlinephoto.com

In Europe please contact
taos@wannadoo.fr

thanks

steve simmons

Capocheny
28-Apr-2008, 11:04
Hi Steve,

It looks like a great issue and I'm looking forward to reading it... especially the articles by Sandy King and the one on Richard Ritter's new 8x10.

Cheers

roteague
28-Apr-2008, 12:19
Thanks again Steve for all your hard work. This looks like another winner of an issue.

Louie Powell
28-Apr-2008, 12:41
Steve - thanks for the head up. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

ari velazco
28-Apr-2008, 19:36
Hi steve, i tried to email sales@mainlinephoto.com but it returned my mail, is it the correct email address? I'm from the philippines and would like to receive copies of the VC. Thank you very much.

Ari

steve simmons
28-Apr-2008, 19:54
I will check but I think that is correct.

steve

Jay Wolfe
28-Apr-2008, 20:06
Hopefully, you will have a significant tribute to Ted Harris in the July-August issue.

Bruce Barlow
29-Apr-2008, 04:55
Of my first six setups with Richard Ritter's 8x10, five of the pictures are "keepers"! That doesn't happen in real life, so I've asked Richard if he bestowed any Vermont Elfin Magic into my camera. I have received no direct reply...hmmm. Suffice it to say that it is a joy to use.

Details about the camera in the upcoming VC issue, as Steve said - it's a "first look" with descriptions and specs. It's not a review, because I'm certainly not an unbiased reviewer in this case. No details on the first pictures - I hadn't developed them yet. I intend to post one on www.tedharrismemorial.org when I can once again figure out how to use the scanner that I I rarely use.

I'm also thinking about making a YouTube segment about the camera, but there's no way that will get done until well after the issue hits mailboxes and newsstands. Life always seems to interfere with photography...

Turner Reich
29-Apr-2008, 14:25
Love the magazine but it had a lot of spellling miistakes in teh last issuee.

Mick Fagan
2-May-2008, 06:27
Ari, that is the correct address for Mainline Photographics.

I too had problems emailing them and eventually went to their website and used the contact link to email them, that worked.

www.mainlinephoto.com.au

That is the link to their site. Quite helpful and nice staff.

Mick.

steve simmons
2-May-2008, 06:40
Their correct e-mail is

sales@mainlinephoto.com.au

steve simmons

David McWaters
20-May-2008, 03:34
Just received my copy. Great magazine. Thanks, David McWaters

Doug Howk
20-May-2008, 04:40
Disappointed in the portfolios, but that's just my viewpoint. The articles are very good, and especially like the thoroughness of Sandy King's evaluation of T-Max 400. Keep the good work coming, Steve.

Mick Fagan
20-May-2008, 06:29
I thought "Through a Glass Cheaply" is brilliant. the pictures are really, really good.

It has given me the idea to do the same thing with a student and my old Calumet. Perhaps I'll do some just for myself, nothing to lose and I think a lot to gain.

Mick.

Eric Biggerstaff
20-May-2008, 07:02
Got mine yesterday. I liked the portfolio's - the student one in particular. Nice issue Steve, keep up the good work.

Mark Sawyer
20-May-2008, 12:57
I always like the portfolio issues; it's good to keep in touch with why we accumulate all the knowledge, skills, and tools. This was a particularly nice issue, though I may be prejudiced...

Thanks, Steve! (And Eric, it looks like we may be doing some ziatypes in the advanced class next year. All your fault...)

MIke Sherck
20-May-2008, 13:08
Love the magazine but it had a lot of spellling miistakes in teh last issuee.

ROFL!

:rolleyes:

Mike

Tri Tran
20-May-2008, 14:41
I enjoyed Mark's article very much also a nice RR 8x10 review. Looking forward the next issue.Thanks VC mag

Jim Galli
20-May-2008, 15:24
Congrats to Mark Sawyer! Well done on so many levels. The rest looks great also but so far I've just read Mark's piece.

Merg Ross
20-May-2008, 18:51
Mark, you have good reason to be prejudiced. Your students are indeed fortunate to have you as a teacher. Congratulations to you and to them, the passion is evident.

Steve, good job.

Mark Sawyer
21-May-2008, 08:18
Thank you *very* much, to Mick, Eric, Tri, Jim, and Merg! The kids deserve most of the credit; they really made some wonderful images. (Imagine what they could have done with a teacher who actually knew what he was doing...)

My big thanks goes to Steve for running the article and photos, and to Eric for recommending it to him. It was a bit outside the norm for a VC article, but I think it fit well. And the work really is beautiful. (I'll bring a few of the original prints to foto3, along with a dozen or so lenses for anyone who wants to try it for themselves.)

More and more I've been finding that the simplicity of such a project is a perfect counterpoint to the computerized, automated complexity of the digital photography world, which I also teach. And don't we all need a good 99-cent magic bullet?

Jim Galli
21-May-2008, 08:33
And don't we all need a good 99-cent magic bullet?

:D:D