PDA

View Full Version : Large Packard 7" shutter questions

Carlin
27-Apr-2008, 14:08
Hi, I have a large Packard-Ideal shutter that is 7" square with a 3 3/4" opening. This one has two plungers, which I haven't seen on any others. Can anyone tell me more about it? Also, I'd like to get it working properly with the flash synch, possibly to mount on a Versar 8x10 Portrait lens, is SKGrimes repairing these? Any help greatly appreciated, thank you.
Carlin

Jim Galli
27-Apr-2008, 17:51
This is a no. 8 Packard as opposed to the more common #6. The plunger on the left will do the same thing as a no. 6 that doesn't have the pin engaged. It opens and closes the shutter as fast or as slow as you control with the bulb. The piston on the right will do the same as the #6 with pin engaged. It cycles quickly about 1/25th and nothing else. So with this one you need 2 tubings and 2 hoses coming out to get the functionality. I've written a page about Packards (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Article_About_Packard_Shutters.html) at my web site. They're extremely simple. I wouldn't pay someone else to clean one up. Get a screwdriver and take it apart. Make sketches and pictures so you can get it back together right. Something digital cameras really do well.

Gene McCluney
28-Apr-2008, 07:22
As far as flash sync. You just mount a micro-switch on the rear above the instantaneous plunger so that the contact is pushed closed when the piston reaches the top of its travel. Make sure your screws are tiny enough to not impede the parts inside. You take the back plate with plungers off to do this modification.

Or, you can do like I do for some shutters, and just do open flash in a dim room. Open shutter, manually fire flash, close shutter. I hold the squeeze bulb in one hand, and my flash-meter in the other hand attached by wire to my studio strobe. I fire the flash with my flash-meter.

Carlin
28-Apr-2008, 14:10
Thank you for all the help. It's up and running! I haven't terminated the ends of the cable yet to test the flash sync, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, all looks good on the inside. Great website on the Packards! You're absolutely right, these are way too much fun to send it to somebody else to fix :-)

I want a front mount to lenses to keep things simple, any suggestions?