PDA

View Full Version : very solid 8x10?

Torsten
27-Apr-2008, 13:57
Hi, I'm in a terrible situation: I have a real gem, a beautiful Canham Traditional 8x10 Camera here at home. My lenses are all old crazy things like portrait lenses, aporonars etc, weighting a ton. Clearly, these modern, light weight cameras are NOT made for having a 6 -8 pound lens on their front-board. Which kind of 8x1O camera would be suited, a Calumet C1? Any suggestions? Sometimes I believe an old DDorff or a Seneca or an Ansco might be able to carry that weight, please help me...! I posted a similar thread on the sales forum...

cheers
Torsten

Peter K
27-Apr-2008, 14:11
Look for a Kardan or a Kardan-Color. You can sit on the front standart during exposure, but keep your feet quiet. Also the lensboards are easily able to take lenses with a diameter of 25 cm.

Mark Carstens
27-Apr-2008, 14:28
An Arca Swiss 8x10 Model C -- if you can find one -- might be another consideration. But, you're on the right track, I'd go with a monorail over a field camera if you have a plethora of heavy-weight glass.

The toughest thing is finding one (Arca Swiss 8x10 Model C) with enough bellows draw to accommodate the longer focal lengths.

Hugo Zhang
27-Apr-2008, 15:37
Torsten,

I followed Jim Galli's advice and got myself a Kodak 2D as a dedicated portraiture camera two years ago . The heaviest lens I have put on the front is a Heliar 42cm, with a Packard shutter box, the weight is about 11-12 pounds.

I have been happy with what it can do for me.

Hugo

Mark Woods
27-Apr-2008, 17:25
I have a Kodak 2D and love it. I only have on lens, but it's a triple convertible. The quality of the negs are awesome. And the camera is much lighter than the Sinar 8x10.

Charles Hohenstein
27-Apr-2008, 18:06
Torsten,

I followed Jim Galli's advice and got myself a Kodak 2D as a dedicated portraiture camera two years ago . The heaviest lens I have put on the front is a Heliar 42cm, with a Packard shutter box, the weight is about 11-12 pounds.

I have been happy with what it can do for me.

Hugo

Did Kodak make an 11x14 equivalent?

Kirk Fry
27-Apr-2008, 18:28
The old gray ANSCO's would certainly work. Built like trees of maple. K

N Dhananjay
27-Apr-2008, 20:54
I'd urge you to first try using the lenses on your current camera wiwth a monopod supporting the front standard, which is fairly SOP with long lenses anyway. Cheers, DJ

Jan Pedersen
27-Apr-2008, 21:42
A Burke & James is build like a tank and weigh almost as much but if for indoors/studio work it will do well. They are also pretty inexpensive.

Jim Galli
27-Apr-2008, 22:03
Did Kodak make an 11x14 equivalent?

Yes and no. I have a Kodak 2D 11X14 but it dis-appoints in a couple of areas. First the lensboards are the same size as the old Century that was it's lineage. 5 3/4" so it's irritating that all your 6X6 boards won't fit. Second it lacks the sliding tripod block that helps to center the weight over the tripod, a feature I love and use with the smaller 810 2D. Still, it's a nice old thing and a full 10 pounds lighter than the Deardorff V11.

audioexcels
28-Apr-2008, 03:04
http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCA-SWISS-8x10-MONORAIL-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ300215658594QQihZ020QQcategoryZ627QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just missed it...was in Europe (well, UK is considered Europe I guess;))

aduncanson
28-Apr-2008, 06:07
I have been following this and waiting for somebody to endorse your idea of a Calumet C1. I have one but have never used an extremely heavy lens on it, but it is a solid heavy beast. I have mounted a 2.3 lb 540mm f/11 process lens on it and was not in the least feared for its ability to support it.

I am regularly amazed by the photographic capability it affords at its modest price. I have used lenses on it from 168mm to the aforementioned 540. And mine only weighs 14.5 lbs.

Jim Rice
28-Apr-2008, 08:51
Another vote for the C-1. Mine doesn't even blink at a 360 Sironar.

Jim Noel
28-Apr-2008, 09:05
If a C-1 won't hold it, I don't know of anything that will.

audioexcels
28-Apr-2008, 16:04
If a C-1 won't hold it, I don't know of anything that will.

ahahaha:). You have that right. I had a person offer one for very little money when I was looking for a wood based camera. I should have taken it just so I could pass it along to the forum at the same price since it's gone up quite a bit. Actually, I think gas/time would be a bit extra, but in the end, would have been much cheaper. Ahhhh well...wish I knew the C-1 would get this much love as I would have definitely driven out 5 hours roundtrip to get it for someone.

Cheers!