PDA

View Full Version : spot meter

jimi-the-jive
27-Apr-2008, 13:33
i'm looking for a good spot meter for under, $150
is there any chance or am i crazy?

the main ones about seem to be the minolta and the pentax are there any other ones worth noting????

thanx
Jimi

Capocheny
27-Apr-2008, 13:46
Hi Jimi,

Soligor use to make a spot meter... look on ebay under meters and you may get lucky with a deal.

But, it'll be pretty rare to find a Pentax digital spot meter for under $150. You might look for the analog version, which are also great meters. You may have to pay a few dollars more than $150 though.

You might also contact Jim at MidWest and see what they have in stock (www.mpex.com)

Good luck

Cheers

Anupam
27-Apr-2008, 18:37
Of the digital meters, the Minolta spot meter M sometimes goes around that price on eBay. You'd have a few more options around the $200 mark. Otherwise the Soligor is a good meter.

darr
27-Apr-2008, 18:40
I have used the Sekonic Digi-Spot L-488 for 15+ years with excellent results. KEH Camera (http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=119&BC=GM&BCC=12&CC=70&CCC=7&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=) has two in inventory right now.

Alan Davenport
28-Apr-2008, 17:09
It ain't a one-degree meter, but a Luna Pro F is a dandy meter and there is a spot attachment that does 15 and 7.5 degrees. I've found the spot attachment to be adequate, and the meter as good as they come.

D. Bryant
28-Apr-2008, 17:20
i'm looking for a good spot meter for under, $150
is there any chance or am i crazy?

the main ones about seem to be the minolta and the pentax are there any other ones worth noting????

thanx
Jimi

Here you go, jump on it -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeywell-Pentax-1-degree-21-degree-Spot-Meter_W0QQitemZ190217701511QQihZ009QQcategoryZ88669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don Bryant

Murray
29-Apr-2008, 21:32
With the analog Pentax...don't drop them and don't let a 9V battery leak due to dormancy; both of these are hazardous to the mechanical meter movement.

I got a working one for $50 once and a dead one for alot less. But I'm the kind of person who would want a dead spotmeter for a Frankenmeter project.

audioexcels
1-May-2008, 22:32
Pentax Spot, the Gossen Pro, the Sekonic mentioned, and the Soligor mentioned. So these are ones that can indeed be had on Fleabay for about $100-$200 depending. Don't want to beat around the money bush and crash this thread, but how are these meters mentioned so far compared to the one H recommended (Pentax Digital Spot or Soligor digital spot) vs. an analog based meter or the others that are cheaper such as the Gossen and Sekonic?

I've seen the Sekonic 508 for $200 in many instances, but now it goes routinely for $300ish! I have also read the Sekonic 508 is off a bit as is the 608.

What's the absolute most dead on meter available in the price range stated and money no object range?

Hope this isn't a mis-directional post of the op's question and that he does not mind my posting it.

Scott Kathe
2-May-2008, 18:33
I'm sure people get good meters from eBay but the LunaPro SBC I won needed to be calibrated and I lost a lot of images before I realized what was going on with my exposures. More recently I picked up a used Adorama analog spotmeter here for about $100 and the first thing I did was get it professionally calibrated. They both match. I use the spotmeter for landscape and the LunaPro SBC for macro photography. After my experience I think I would have any used meter calibrated. It adds to the price of the meter but I'm sure it saves money and frustration in the long run.

Scott

Deane Johnson
3-May-2008, 04:50
Here you go, jump on it -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeywell-Pentax-1-degree-21-degree-Spot-Meter_W0QQitemZ190217701511QQihZ009QQcategoryZ88669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don Bryant

I can't tell for sure, but the photo looks like it might be the old early Pentax IV model, not the Pentax V released in the 1970s. The IV had issues that were cured in the V, such as when you pointed it at a brighter light in the scene it remembered that for a while and threw the lower readings way off. It made you believe the shadow detail lighting was better than it was.

Before bidding on this one, I would recommend contacting the seller to find out.