PDA

View Full Version : Best 20"+ LCD screen for under $1000

draggingtheshutter
27-Apr-2008, 12:56
I'm looking to upgrade my current 17" screen for my PowerMac G5. I have been hearing several mixed reviews on the mac screens, so i was wondering what are some other options for comparable screens for the under $1000.

Stephen Best
27-Apr-2008, 13:42
A quick search shows the NEC LCD2090UXi now goes for $799.

Colin Graham
27-Apr-2008, 14:05
I've been thinking about this (http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1007975) and that (http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=947026), but can't even really afford the other (http://www.eizo.com/purchase/direct/monitors.asp)...

wmdyer1
27-Apr-2008, 15:29
Here's a review on the NEC 2070NX. I really like mine.
Bill

NEC MultiSync LCD2070NX
Monitor nearly perfect at default settings

by James Galbraith, Macworld.com
Jun 7, 2005 3:00 am
9 Comments
Product: NEC MultiSync LCD2070NX
Rating
Pros USB hub; excellent viewing angle.
Cons Slight adjustments were necessary; no pivot.
Company NEC Display
Price as rated $799
Best current price $0.00

The NEC MultiSync LCD2070NX is a 20-inch dual input (digital and analog) LCD display with a 1,600-by-1,200 pixel resolution, integrated USB 2.0 hub, and thin-bezel design. This display is available in either silver or black or with the Soundbar 70, a set of speakers available as an option for $39. The speaker hardware clips onto the display and plugs into the back of the monitor.

Similar in specifications to one of our all time favorites, the higher end MultiSync LCD2080UX, the 70 series has a less edgy design - a circular, instead of rectangular base and smooth, rounded edges. It shares the 2080UX’s easy height, tilt, and swivel adjustments, but loses the ability to pivot to a portrait mode. This might bother people who want to try out Tiger’s new display rotation feature, but it also costs about half as much as the high-end model.

Without adjustment, the 2070NX has a very slight red cast and was a little too bright, losing some highlight details. After calibrating it, the display had a good neutral gray and colors were accurate, but I think most people would be very happy with the display in its default setting. Text was clear and very legible at small point sizes and the display’s viewing angle was rated Excellent for showing no signs of color shifting, even at extreme angles.
Macworld’s buying advice

The NEC MultiSync LCD2070UX is a great choice for people looking for a moderately priced monitor with the ability to display bright, accurate colors.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Because of a typographical error we have revised the size of the monitor to 20.1 inches.

rugenius
29-Apr-2008, 10:56
My wife and I both have the following monitor and are very pleased with it:
Samsung 245BW
24" Wide (1080P)
DVI 5ms 1000:1 400 cd/m² 1920x1200 WUXGA
$399.99 at Costco online, and at the stores locally

The first one we got was a Thanksgiving day sale item for $325 (with rebates).
My wife uses that one for Graphic Design production work and all the Adobe products appear to work well with it, IE Pantone cal/ matching, etc...
I use one at my work for CAD and FEM.
A pretty hard deal to beat.

Bill:)

rugenius
29-Apr-2008, 10:58
Ohhh and by the way...
That was an upgrade monitor for my wifes 17" Titanium Powerbook.

Bill:)

draggingtheshutter
30-Apr-2008, 18:07
thank you for the info, i will have to look into that screen, seems like that is the deal to beat.

bsimison
1-May-2008, 04:47
My wife and I both have the following monitor and are very pleased with it:
Samsung 245BW

How do you find the viewing angle on the Samsungs? The few that I have seen in person had very tight viewing angles. If you moved your head ever so slightly out of the sweet spot, the brightness dropped and the color shifted.

rugenius
2-May-2008, 16:59
In practical workhorse mode we don't have any complaints.
There are some other bargain basket monitors as well but at some point you give up something for $$
Example the HannsG 28" 3msec monitor at Costco (and elsewhere on the web) is only $499.
This LCD is a 28" panel made for several manufacturers, some costing twice as much for the same electronics/ different bezel and cosmetics/ QC...
I'm sure it's a great tool that fills up the viewspace... but I have "heard through the rumor mill" that the color calibration is an issue. Maybe that just means you need to have an external calibration tool (Ex: Spyder3) or something?

I guess the bottom line is that I use two large Samsung LCDs at work and I'm spoiled!
Forget about viewing angle... I'm loaded with visual feedback.