PDA

View Full Version : Delta 100 Problems

Jan Pedersen
26-Apr-2008, 20:34
Anybody shooting Delta 100 in 8x10?
On a recent trip to CA i exposed a few sheets of Delta 100 All have defects on the back, not the emulsion side.
The defects looks like surface to drum (Jobo Expert 3005) problems and my initial thought was that i had induced some moisture when reloading in the Motel i stayed at. (How is that possible in SoCal) Today i took a couple of test shots and i see the same problem.
I have developed TMY and Foma 200 in between the Delta 100 and have no problems what so ever. The process is: 3 to 4 minute pre wash, 16 minute 1+1+100 Pyrocat MC two stop rinse in clean water and Zonal Pro or TF-4 Fix. 20 minute wash.
I have developed Delta 100 in 4x5 and 5x7 and all are coming out fine.

Looks like a 3th tier product but i need some facts before i write of Ilford for good.
I like the look of Delta 100 but if i can't trust the QA @ Ilford i will spend my money elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Hany Aziz
27-Apr-2008, 05:03
I have rarely used Delta 100 in 4x5 the past but FP4+ is my standard film in 4x5 and 5x7 and HP5+ is my standard film in 8x10. Never had a problem with any of them. In my experience QA at Ilford has always been first rate. You may actually want to contact them directly.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Waldo
27-Apr-2008, 10:35
I had a problem a couple years ago with HP5, there was this weird stuff all over the film. It was never explained and never got reproduced but the hardener in the fix was cut in half and there hasn't been a problem since. I don't know if this is the same problem as yours but it may help.

Jan Pedersen
27-Apr-2008, 12:09
Just completed a refix and wash which took care of the problem. Never had to fix Delta 100 for 10 minutes before (TF-4) but at least i know the film is good. Just me that need to reprogram.

Thanks for your inputs.

Waldo
28-Apr-2008, 19:44
Just completed a refix and wash which took care of the problem. Never had to fix Delta 100 for 10 minutes before (TF-4) but at least i know the film is good. Just me that need to reprogram.

Thanks for your inputs.

I don't think that it was something that you did really. I think that its just the way Ilford films act sometimes. I think that the film is more sensitive to used developer and chemistry. Its just a theory but I know that some fiber papers are sensitive to developer thats been used with RC for a while. RC seems to leave a gunk in the developer that sticks to the paper. Last I remember Forte, Oriental and Bergger all have this problem.

Jan Pedersen
28-Apr-2008, 21:20
The problem actually didn't resolve with an additional fix, i was to quick to claim the contrary. Film is going back to Ilford for testing.
I use Delta 100 in both 4x5 and 5x7 and have not seen any problems using the same process and chemistry so something has changed.

Waldo
29-Apr-2008, 07:03
The problem actually didn't resolve with an additional fix, i was to quick to claim the contrary. Film is going back to Ilford for testing.
I use Delta 100 in both 4x5 and 5x7 and have not seen any problems using the same process and chemistry so something has changed.

Hmm, it does sound quite similar to the problems I had with HP5. Please be sure to post what Ilford has to say about this.

Jan Pedersen
30-Apr-2008, 20:16
I don't think that it was something that you did really. I think that its just the way Ilford films act sometimes. I think that the film is more sensitive to used developer and chemistry. Its just a theory but I know that some fiber papers are sensitive to developer thats been used with RC for a while. RC seems to leave a gunk in the developer that sticks to the paper. Last I remember Forte, Oriental and Bergger all have this problem.

I think you hit that one right on.
Just developed and dried a sheet of Delta 100 developed in Xtol and it came out shiny and perfect. Somehow this film and Pyrocat MC does not work together in my Jobo.
I have no idea about what it could be but will find another developer at least for the Delta 100.

Waldo
3-May-2008, 01:43
I think you hit that one right on.
Just developed and dried a sheet of Delta 100 developed in Xtol and it came out shiny and perfect. Somehow this film and Pyrocat MC does not work together in my Jobo.
I have no idea about what it could be but will find another developer at least for the Delta 100.

What were you using before? Ive used D-76 for my stuff and its been fine. It seems to be the trend though that many people have had the problem but will never have it again and will never be able to reproduce it ever again.

Gregg Cook
6-May-2008, 12:51
x tol and delta 100 work well.