PDA

View Full Version : New to Fuji/Polaroid instant film!

jwarren116
26-Apr-2008, 15:01
I recently aquired a Polaroid 405 holder from the wonderful eBay. I stocked up on some Fuji FP-100C and FP-100B (the 3.25x4.25 BW and Color). I mostly got it for quick proofs and exposure checks for some color I'm shooting now. So now I have some technical questions! I've been doing quite a bit of longer exposures, some even as long as 30 seconds. I've mostly ironed out the reciprocity failure issues with the lovely help of the Fuji website. But how do instant films respond to different lighting conditions? Are color casts from light as prominent as with film? And is the rated speed for instant films pretty accurate? I shoot 160VC at 100, and FP4 at 80. Basically, this is new and it's an overload of ASA ordeals! Can anyone point me in the right direction, or give some advice from personal experience?

Charles Hohenstein
27-Apr-2008, 18:38
Probably an ignorant question, but does that pack film holder fit into the camera like a Polaroid sheet film holder, or is it too thick to use without removing the ground glass?

Gordon Moat
27-Apr-2008, 20:28
The Polaroid 405 is not too thick, and with care could fit under the ground glass on several cameras. With the larger Polaroid 550 back, I would be extremely careful trying the same thing, or just not risk busting the springs on the back of your camera. Even though it might be slower, I think using the Graflock slots is much less stressful.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

ignatiusjk
2-May-2008, 09:00
Remeber your just using the instant film as basically an exposure check.How the actual film will react will have to be tested,and remeber you can always play with the color in the computor.How instant film and real film react may be night and day.If your shooting transparencies then you will deffiently have to teast your film,but with color neg you really don't because like I said you can compensate in the computor.

Gene McCluney
2-May-2008, 22:12
I use the Fuji FP 100C45 to test for my 4x5 color transparency work, and I only shoot ONE sheet (or a pair at same exposure) and I never have to reshoot. The Fuji color is much more accurate color than the Polaroid Type 79. I shoot with strobes.