PDA

View Full Version : Wollansack Lenes

seawolf66
26-Apr-2008, 07:23
IS there any difference between the wollensack lenses such as the Optar and the Raptar : or is it just simply that one
lens sold to another company so a new name was given to the lens :)

Jim Noel
26-Apr-2008, 07:33
There are differences.
Camera Eccentric has pdf's of several old Wollensak catalogs on the web site and they are full of information.

Dan Fromm
26-Apr-2008, 08:28
Optar is a Graflex trade name. Not all Optars were made by Wollensak, but most are rebadged Wollensak Raptars.

Raptar is a Wollensak trade name. Not all Raptars were rebadged as Optars and sold by Graflex.

Now, what do you really want to know?

seawolf66
26-Apr-2008, 12:25
Thats all dan believe it or not, the way it read in the Vade Mercum , I got confussed and asked here: so the chances of a optar not being a raptar are slim then :the other reason I am asking is I got a 15" tele-optar graflex brand, thanks dan:

Optar is a Graflex trade name. Not all Optars were made by Wollensak, but most are rebadged Wollensak Raptars.

Raptar is a Wollensak trade name. Not all Raptars were rebadged as Optars and sold by Graflex.

Now, what do you really want to know?

Dan Fromm
26-Apr-2008, 13:20
15"/5.6 TeleOptar = 15"/5.6 TeleRaptar

Why didn't you simply ask whether that was the case?

Glenn Thoreson
26-Apr-2008, 14:42
Some later model Optars were made by Rodenstock. Those were toward the end of Graflex production. To my knowledge, for what that's worth, all the tele Optars were Wollensak.

seawolf66
26-Apr-2008, 17:29
Thank you all for the information: