PDA

View Full Version : Help finding lens boards for Chamonix 4x5

Jeff Bannow
25-Apr-2008, 11:56
So I have a Chamonix 4x5 on order, and need to get some lens boards for it. I understand that it takes Wista / Linhof tech / Tachihara / Ebony boards. Can anyone recommend a cheap source for these? The ones I found on fleabay all have the offset drilled hole, which I don't need / want.

Did I mention I am looking for cheap? I will need 3 #0, 1 #00 and 1 undrilled board preferably.

- Jeff

David A. Goldfarb
25-Apr-2008, 12:01
I think mpex.com has new generic ones that aren't too expensive.

Kirk Gittings
25-Apr-2008, 12:03
Badger Graphics:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=165

Aender Brepsom
25-Apr-2008, 12:04
Maybe not as cheap as the ones on eBay, but Robert White in the UK has got generic Technika-type lens panels, both with centered and uncentered hole. They even have got undrilled ones. 20 £ each.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1204&PT_ID=309&P=Lens-Panels

I have used them on all my lenses and was very satisfied.

My guess is that you can find those generic boards at MPEX or Badger too, but I am not sure about that.

Buying used ones might be another option.

Aender Brepsom
25-Apr-2008, 12:06
David, Kirk, your typing speed must be faster than mine!

BarryS
25-Apr-2008, 12:09
I bought some generic center-drilled boards for my Chamonix at Badger. They sent me Shen Hao boards, and I think the quality is excellent.

Skorzen
25-Apr-2008, 12:10
Are you sure that you don't want an offset board? Or in other words do you know that the Chamonix doesn't take offset boards? The reason I ask is that my Shen Hao came with an offset board and appears to be designed to be zero'd with an offset board. From what I have seen the standard seems to be offset boards rather than centered (with centered being the exception).

I bought my boards from KEH and I think I pain under $10 each so I would recommend them.

Jeff Bannow
25-Apr-2008, 12:11
Thanks for the quick response everyone. MPEX shows a generic "4x5 #0 Lens Board" for the very cheap $15. It is under the Tachi section - is it safe to assume this is a center hole board?

It is out of stock as well. Any idea how MPEX does at restocking? Should I just order and figure they will fill the order fairly quickly? I would like to get them in the next 4 weeks or so.

Jeff Bannow
25-Apr-2008, 12:12
Are you sure that you don't want an offset board? Or in other words do you know that the Chamonix doesn't take offset boards? The reason I ask is that my Shen Hao came with an offset board and appears to be designed to be zero'd with an offset board. From what I have seen the standard seems to be offset boards rather than centered (with centered being the exception).

I bought my boards from KEH and I think I pain under $10 each so I would recommend them.

Hmm ... Well, I understood that either would work but that a center board was preferred, or the lens would be shifted down.

However, I also thought it was the same as the Shen, so I guess I'm not sure! :)

BarryS
25-Apr-2008, 12:17
The Chamonix will accept either center or offset-driilled Technika style boards. However, many "center-drilled" boards have a hole that is still slightly offset from the exact center of the board. I have both types of boards and they all work, but I recommend the center-drilled boards so you don't lose a little bit of front rise.

roteague
25-Apr-2008, 12:50
B&H has some Bromwell boards, that aren't very expensive. I've got a set. Unfortunately, B&H is closed until next week.