PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 7X11 Holder Group Buy?

audioexcels
24-Apr-2008, 17:54
I have been very interested in the 7X11 format due to the wonderful aspect ratio and that you can pretty much use your 8X10 lenses on it since the IC is very close to being the same.

If Chamonix can produce at least 100 of the holders, there can be a pricing close to that of the 8X10 holders. Weight would likely be very similar as would the impeccable construction that many say is so beautiful, they do not feel like using them.

The holders can be based on a number of different types that have been made in the past or on newer type specifications such as the ones made by Lotus, AWB, S&S, etc.

If anyone is interested, please email me at audioexcels@yahoo.com and let me know why type of holder you would want the holder to be based on, how many you would want, etc.

Thanks All!

wfwhitaker
24-Apr-2008, 18:27
I thought there was already a movement to purchase 7x11 holders from S&S. Has that fallen through?

audioexcels
24-Apr-2008, 18:54
I thought there was already a movement to purchase 7x11 holders from S&S. Has that fallen through?

I had no idea. Where is this posted? I would be interested obviously.

Thanks.

wfwhitaker
24-Apr-2008, 19:03
But you posted to it....

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34543&highlight=7x11+holders

audioexcels
24-Apr-2008, 19:35
But you posted to it....

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34543&highlight=7x11+holders

Ahhh yes. But that was also a month ago and nothing ever really concluded from the post other than the discussion I had regarding the ratio aspect. I didn't know this was something being setup as a group buy. I did just contact Sandy and it seems a few have interest. Not as many as I had thought as it truly is a superb format, but it's enough that the pricepoint is excellent. I'm awaiting more details on the weight/what holder it is going to be based on/etc. things.

Someone did mention the ones on Ebay, but they are 6 years old, 1.5lbs each which is almost 2X the weight of the Eastman 7X11 holders, and do not have the double light traps that S&S now incorporate. And the pricing is no different than this newer run planned.

The Chamonix ones would likely be around the 1-1.2lb mark, immaculately built, and priced competitively with the S&S holders. But obviously there would have to be a lot more interest than what Sandy has had for his run. Very surprised so few have been interested in getting some.

Colin Graham
24-Apr-2008, 21:32
Er, Mike, you're simultaneously running a WTB for 7x11 holders and a group purchase for 7x11 holders? Seriously, how much interest do you expect to generate if folks think you'll bail if you find some quickly with the other ad? Am I missing something?

audioexcels
24-Apr-2008, 21:44
Er, Mike, you're simultaneously running a WTB for 7x11 holders and a group purchase for 7x11 holders? Seriously, how much interest do you expect to generate if folks think you'll bail if you find some quickly with the other ad? Am I missing something?

If I am to generate a core of people that are willing to commit, then I anticipate it could take some time. In the event I found some 7X11 holders faster than having enough people to do this deal, then obviously I could buy the holders "and" continue to wait for the rest of the party to buy holders or I could explain that there is not enough anticipation for them. In other words, if there are not enough people, but I have found some 7X11 holders, I am sure those interested in this group buy would not feel bummed out because I am not making any promises since it is a requirement rather than a certainty that a group purchase can even take place. It would be awesome to have 100 holders spoken for by members around here or anywhere to get them at a pricepoint around $190 each.

Hope this makes some sense.

audioexcels
27-Apr-2008, 14:54
Too much enthusiasm for the format. I've had ZERO people interested in a group buy.

Where's the love for the size that "should have been" made standard vs. 810???

Terence McDonagh
27-Apr-2008, 16:06
I really love the format, but already have cameras in the 35mm, 120, 4x5, 5x7, 6.5x8.5, 8x10 and 8x20 formats. Adding another special-order film size and new holders just isn't in the cards at the time being. I was actually happy when someone FINALLY bought the Lens & Repro holders and back on eBay because another week or two and I would have given up resistance.

wfwhitaker
27-Apr-2008, 16:34
...I anticipate it could take some time...

What you said. There are some of us who are still waiting to see if some holders can be purchased from S&S. That idea was floated first; I'd like to give it a chance.

Mike Castles
27-Apr-2008, 16:57
Too much enthusiasm for the format. I've had ZERO people interested in a group buy.

Where's the love for the size that "should have been" made standard vs. 810???

I don't think it is a lack of enthusiasm for the format, just that there are only so many $ available for everyone, and there are other formats that get the nod. While I would love to have more holders, and I hope to have some S&S holders if they can make them to the Eastman design, in the end that is part of the issue.

When one picks one of the Exotic Large Formats (ELF), they have to expect some limits to film, cameras and film holders. There are no new 7x11 cameras made, other than one from Richard Ritter to my knowledge. Not that you could not have one made by one of the other camera makers, it is still not like 7x17, 8x20, 12x20, etc. These are still more main-stream than the ELF's like 7x11, 10x12, 12x16 etc.

Wish you the best of luck in getting enough people to make a group purchase, the thread about the S&S holders was to try and find how many use Eastman holders vs other holders (Ansco, Korona). If they are all close to the same design, then it becomes less of a custom make, if they are all different then it makes it harder to have them fit the different cameras that are out there.

D. Bryant
27-Apr-2008, 17:37
When one picks one of the Exotic Large Formats (ELF), .
Mike I like that!:)

Don Bryant

Mike Castles
27-Apr-2008, 18:01
Mike I like that!:)

Don Bryant

Thanks Don, wish I could take credit for it, but Michael Mutmansky used the term in his VC article about film holders recently, and I find it the perfect way to describe all those 'different' formats some of us use, that are not ULF and really not LF either.

Jim Galli
27-Apr-2008, 22:11
While I'm totally committed to the 711 format, I find I'm long on good original holders and short on cash so I fear you'll have to count me out.

I have a lovely Eastman camera I would sell but you would have to get a bellows made immediately for it and I don't have spare holders to include. I think all of the first generation holders were interchangeable. It seems like it would be foolish not to use an original eastman as a pattern.

audioexcels
28-Apr-2008, 02:53
While I'm totally committed to the 711 format, I find I'm long on good original holders and short on cash so I fear you'll have to count me out.

I have a lovely Eastman camera I would sell but you would have to get a bellows made immediately for it and I don't have spare holders to include. I think all of the first generation holders were interchangeable. It seems like it would be foolish not to use an original eastman as a pattern.

They all come from an American design, right?-Eastman/Rochester/Kodak/Ansco/etc.

It's all American based holders so I agree that they should be similar. I've looked at different WP holders and there is a bit of difference length wise on a Graflex, Eastman, and no name (cannot locate a name). The Eastman and no name types are both identical, but the Graflex ones are a tad off...very close, but just a bit off.

Would love to get the camera, but I am committed to the Arca design w/customized back for the holders. But it's very hard to find the holders and those with some will keep them even if they are not using them;).

I am interested in the S&S holders, but was hoping for a bit of a faster pace for the prospective timeframe by which they would be done. It's looking like 4 months until the S&S holders would be finished. I am in no rush, but would definitely like to see holders in a 1-2 month period. I don't think the Chamonix idea is going to work, but maybe I will get a couple made and also a few from S&S if they plan to go the Eastman based route, and do some comparing.

For the posters above you, that ELF is a great name:)!