PDA

View Full Version : Which book on Mac OS X Leopard?

Hening Bettermann
24-Apr-2008, 15:40
Hi!

I am looking for the best book on Mac OS X Leopard. There seem to be at least 3 to choose between:
1-David Pogue: The Missing Manual.
2-Samuel A. Litt: The Mac OS X Leopard Bible
3-Robin Williams: Mac OS X 10.5, The Peachpit Learning Series.

If the title is descriptive, the Missing Manual is what I am looking for. I want something systematical and comprehensive, but not presupposing that I am a programmer, which I am not. On top of a systematic overview, I'd like to learn a little troubleshooting. When System 7.5 was new, I had the Bible and liked it, but if memory serves me, it was not detailed enough for troubleshooting.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Peter Mounier
24-Apr-2008, 18:33
I have the Missing Manual for Tiger, and have found it to be very helpful. But for solving problems that may be more elusive, the Yahoo Group, "Mac OSX Support",
http://tinyurl.com/3o4b24
has some really knowledgeable and helpful people as members. I highly recommend the group.
Peter

Mark Stahlke
24-Apr-2008, 18:41
I bought my first Mac back in November. In February I bought "The Missing Manual" and it has been invaluable. It's sometimes too simple for a professional IT weenie like me but it's jammed full of wonderful tips and tricks. I recommend it highly but I have not looked at the other two books.

Scott Knowles
25-Apr-2008, 06:14
Personally I like Brad Miser's (http://www.bordersstores.com/search/title_detail.jsp?id=57005759&srchTerms=Miser%2C+Brad&mediaType=1&srchType=Author) book "Mac OS X Leopard" and almost any O'Reilly reference type book after that. They don't have a some for Leopard they have for Tiger, eg. "Running Mac OS-X Tiger" and "Learning Unix for Mac OS-X Tiger", but I doubt there is much difference.

Hening Bettermann
25-Apr-2008, 13:39
Thank you all for your answers!

walter23
25-Apr-2008, 16:00
There's more to OS X than just clicking on windows/menus, and opening a terminal for a unix shell when needed? ;)

David Luttmann
25-Apr-2008, 16:06
There's more to OS X than just clicking on windows/menus, and opening a terminal for a unix shell when needed? ;)

Well,

If it's so easy and intuitive to use, why do ya need a book?:eek:

Hening Bettermann
26-Apr-2008, 13:56
Well,

If it's so easy and intuitive to use, why do ya need a book?:eek:

Well, I want to get an overview of all it can do, I am probably missing something if I don't know about it. Anyway, it's too late now, I have ordered the Missing Manual :-)