PDA

View Full Version : Can someone send a Contact and a Scan of the Contact printed?

audioexcels
23-Apr-2008, 18:56
I am hoping this can work as I would love to see some prints due to my having limited access of seeing them in hand.

Here is what I am wanting from a member around here:

1) Contact Print from an 8X10 camera. It could even be a smaller format, down to the smallest (4X5).

2) A "professional" scan of the same negative done recently (i.e. Prefer 2008), and printed with an attempt to match or even better the Contact Print.

3) If someone had a 4X5 negative scanned and printed to the same size as an 8X10 contact "and" sent along an 8X10 contact, this would be great.

4) As well, if one has a print from a digital camera, along with a contact print (sizes being the same or at least printed close enough in size), this would also be great to see.

5) Last thing, if possible, would be to see a second contact print that is very good, but not one you would consider to be one of your better ones done. In other words, a sharp contact print, but maybe tonality/parts of the exposure/etc. aren't as spot on as the good one.

Any out there that would be willing to do this for me, that is in the States so we can have a quick turnaround as far as time is concerned? I can pay the shipping or whatever costs are involved. I only want to have in my hands the above to see what I can see in each of them (personal analysis).

Last thing-Do not label or put any notes on any of the prints that identify what is what. In other words, if someone has an 8X10 contact as well as a 4X5 scanned and printed at the same size as the 8X10 contact, I do not want to know which is which.

Hope someone out there will do this. I have to take off for a trip May 5th, so there's
still plenty of time.

If there isn't any one single person out there that can send me the above, maybe I can get a one of each from different individuals.

Thanks to whoever can help on this one!!!

vinny
23-Apr-2008, 19:03
Hands down, the print from my 2mp camera phone will be the best. I won't label them though!

Really though, if i get a lull in work, i'll see what i can send out.

audioexcels
23-Apr-2008, 19:56
Hands down, the print from my 2mp camera phone will be the best. I won't label them though!

Really though, if i get a lull in work, i'll see what i can send out.

Wonderful. As I say, I can pay the FedEx or 2-3 Day Priority USPS shipping. I'm not going to be slandering comments about bad this or that just so everyone knows. I'll just be thrilled to have some prints in hand and my wife will be a fantastic eye to give her thoughts (yes, no, yes, no...hehehehe...really, she is very good with looking/hearing thing...very earthy and why I married her!).

This is solely for me to have prints in my hands and to see what I feel about year 2008or thereabouts prints from the camera, scanned, enlarged via scanned, digital, etc.

I'm actually especially interested in a 4X5/5X7 shot scanned/printed to the same size as an 8X10 contact. This would be a very very nice comparo for me to see.

And 2MP camera...not a problem since reviewers of cellphones do say they can make nice 5X7-8X10 prints (cough cough).

Vaughn
23-Apr-2008, 20:23
All I would be able to do is to send a contact print. It might have to be an earlier 5x7 as most of my 8x10's are processed for alt printing and tend to have too much contrast for a decent silver print.

I can scan with a V500, but no way could I make a decent digital print...don't think my hp scanner-fax-scanner-copier would be up to the task! Do you have a decent printer? I could scan the 5x7 neg and email you the file as well as snail-mail a contact print from the same neg.

Vaughn

audioexcels
23-Apr-2008, 21:48
All I would be able to do is to send a contact print. It might have to be an earlier 5x7 as most of my 8x10's are processed for alt printing and tend to have too much contrast for a decent silver print.

I can scan with a V500, but no way could I make a decent digital print...don't think my hp scanner-fax-scanner-copier would be up to the task! Do you have a decent printer? I could scan the 5x7 neg and email you the file as well as snail-mail a contact print from the same neg.

Vaughn

Do you happen to have any scanned work (professional scan and print work)? Would be interested in seeing the 5X7 contact vs. even a 45 shot that was pro-scanned and enlarged to 8X10 or something even closer to 5X7.

Thanks Vaughn!

jetcode
23-Apr-2008, 22:25

Vaughn

Vaughn,

I have a nice scanner and printer and could scan and print any neg you have made a contact print with, the burden then is on me to try to match the contact print which I am interested in trying to do ... I only have 3-4 real 8x10 contact prints and I am planning on scanning the film and making a digital contact print from it. The goal of these exercises for me is to maximize print quality. I'd be happy to give you the scan on CD and print in return.

Joe

Vaughn
23-Apr-2008, 22:52
I do have this 5x7 image as a contact print.

A local printing company used the image for a promotional poster...scanned the image. Then a friend borrowed the scan the printing company made and worked on it and made a 11.5"x16.25" inkjet print from the scan. He previously had been working from scans of medium format negs and wanted to see what he could do with a scan of a LF neg.

He did an incredible job...as professional as one can get. So, if you want, I can send you a contact print I made of the 5x7 (silver print or platinum print...can't remember which I have...perhaps both), and the 11x16 inkjet print. Definitely want them back in good condition, of course.

Vaughn

PS...this image looks only so so on my screen....much better is real life -- this scan was made from a platinum/palladium print. The pt/pd print would not be as sharp as a silver gelatin print...nor is the pt/pd as sharp as the 11x16 inkjet print. So I will see if I have a contact print in silver gelatin...but I won't have time to make one if I don't.

Vaughn
23-Apr-2008, 22:58
Okay...now I am confused (or more accurately, more confused than I usually am...LOL!)...Joe (Jetcode), are you the same person as audioexcels, or is this a second request for a negative/print?

jetcode
23-Apr-2008, 22:59
Okay...now I am confused (or more accurately, more confused than I usually am...LOL!)...Joe (Jetcode), are you the same person as audioexcels, or is this a second request for a negative/print?

no I am not audioexcels and it sounds like you have everything he is looking for

domenico Foschi
23-Apr-2008, 23:00
Vaughn,
that image contacted printed must be a jewel.

Vaughn
23-Apr-2008, 23:11
Joe,

I would have to hunt around to see if I have a quality silver gelatin contact print of an 8x10 negative. I have plenty of platinum/palladium prints and carbon prints from 8x10's (all contact prints of course). The pt/pd prints would not be quite as sharp as a silver print, and the carbon prints appear to be even sharper than silver prints...so I am not sure if either would be what you would want to use as a comparison.

Vaughn

Vaughn
23-Apr-2008, 23:20
Vaughn,
that image contacted printed must be a jewel.

Thanks, Domenico,

Out of the many 5x7 negatives I made before I lost the camera, this image has always been my favorite (this particular negative is not going anywhere unless I am carrying it!) Much has to do with the image, but even more it has to do with the place, time and company I had when I took it (it was a backpack trip into the heart of Redwood National Park).

It is difficult to judge the size of the two trees from the photo, but they are big.

Vaughn

audioexcels
24-Apr-2008, 00:56
I do have this 5x7 image as a contact print.

A local printing company used the image for a promotional poster...scanned the image. Then a friend borrowed the scan the printing company made and worked on it and made a 11.5"x16.25" inkjet print from the scan. He previously had been working from scans of medium format negs and wanted to see what he could do with a scan of a LF neg.

He did an incredible job...as professional as one can get. So, if you want, I can send you a contact print I made of the 5x7 (silver print or platinum print...can't remember which I have...perhaps both), and the 11x16 inkjet print. Definitely want them back in good condition, of course.

Vaughn

PS...this image looks only so so on my screen....much better is real life -- this scan was made from a platinum/palladium print. The pt/pd print would not be as sharp as a silver gelatin print...nor is the pt/pd as sharp as the 11x16 inkjet print. So I will see if I have a contact print in silver gelatin...but I won't have time to make one if I don't.

That would excellent. I will PM and send you my address. We can setup the shipping details. If you can find a silver print, that would be great, but otherwise no biggie.

Curious now, this image was originally a 5X7 contact, then professionally scanned, but it was kept on a CD that your friend got and then dealt with it to make the print at the 11X16 size, correct? Would be great if you have the contact in silver and platinum. Would be curious, also, how old the 5X7 contact is and how old the 11X16 is.

Thanks Vaughn and lets work on getting the prints up north to me. I appreciate this a lot and I'm very anal, especially when it comes to anyone else's things, particularly something very special like this gorgeous photo.

Vaughn
24-Apr-2008, 01:20
Well, the scan and the poster made from it is 11 years old. My friend went to the printer and talked them into letting him use the scan about 6 or 8 years ago. Then my friend showed up here with the print in hand, appolizing for using my image without permission. (he also tried to talk me into going digital...no such luck!) I suppose it should have bothered my to have my image appropiated in such a way -- I don't know how he talked the printing company into letting him have the scan without my permission -- though he did promise them that in no way would he ever use the image in any public way. But this is a relatively small town...trust is still a big thing here.

If he had asked, I would have been happy for him to use it. So the scan and then the print are not recent. But I don't believe that there have been any major improvements that would make for a better inkjet print -- perhaps easier to make now. The paper used is closer to a nice mat silver gelatin paper.

The inkjet print has been kept in the dark the entire time (it is in excellent shape)...I have no desire to frame it up -- the print itself is not of my creation...I feel no connection to it. But the damn thing is probably as good (or better) than I'd be able to print it to that size as a silver gelatin print. I think he said it took 4 hours for his printer to spit the thing out.

The contact prints (if I find both a silver and platinum prints) will be around 9 or 10 years old.

Vaughn

Vaughn
24-Apr-2008, 01:39
audio--do you want the prints to arrive before you leave on May 5th or after you get back?

audioexcels
24-Apr-2008, 11:33
audio--do you want the prints to arrive before you leave on May 5th or after you get back?

We can do it after as I know you are running on an empty tank at the moment. I will be back June 2nd.

Vaughn
24-Apr-2008, 11:37
"Sleep is for wimps", he whimpered.

Na, I'll try to get them out tomorrow...