PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Explorer models

Jimmy Peguet
23-Apr-2008, 13:44
Hello all,

Who could tell me the differences between the older Phillips Explorer models (like the one Michael Mutmansky reviewed on the Camera reviews section on Tuan's site) and the last version made before Dick Phillips retirement ? I've seen one of the last models and I can only remember cosmetic differences : T-levers, square base, slightly different focus knob, optional levels and bail on the older model. Are there real significant differences or improvements ?

Thank you.

Jimmy

Oren Grad
23-Apr-2008, 17:43
The 8x10 Explorers that Dick has made recently take Technika boards rather than Sinar boards.

Jimmy Peguet
23-Apr-2008, 22:42
The recent camera I was talking about had a Sinar board. I read about Explorers with Technika boards, I thought they were special orders.

Oren Grad
23-Apr-2008, 22:49
The recent camera I was talking about had a Sinar board. I read about Explorers with Technika boards, I thought they were special orders.

Dick decided to do an entire year's build of 8x10 Explorers to accept Technika boards - actually, it may have been the last two batches, I'm not sure.

At any rate, apart from the lensboard, the differences from batch to batch are pretty much as you've described. I'm not aware of any fundamental design changes in the camera across the various production runs.

Is there some specific feature you're looking for, or are concerned about?

Jimmy Peguet
23-Apr-2008, 23:51
Just to satisfy my curiosity, Oren, thank you. I've just found a nice Explorer (the same Michael described, unfortunately without levels and bail, but nothing really important here) and was curious about improvements from a batch to another. Should be exactly what I was looking for.

tim atherton
24-Apr-2008, 12:01
Most of the changes are small and incremental and mainly cosmetic.

He did change the way the adjustment knob on the centre focus know thingy worked, from the flop down jointed type to a more rigid straight one at some point.

The one major change from Sinar boards to technika was one of the few mistakes Dick made in the design of the 8x10's imo... - okay as an option but not as standard.

Don Hutton
24-Apr-2008, 12:17
Most of the changes are small and incremental and mainly cosmetic.

He did change the way the adjustment knob on the centre focus know thingy worked, from the flop down jointed type to a more rigid straight one at some point.

The one major change from Sinar boards to technika was one of the few mistakes Dick made in the design of the 8x10's imo... - okay as an option but not as standard.
The focus lock is, as Tim mentions, a functional change - basically the old style focus locked by pushing the articulated focusing drive column into a clip - later models he uses a fixed drive and there is a lock with locking lever instead. IMO (and I've owned his cameras with both) the most recent (i.e. locking lever) is more convenient.

Jimmy Peguet
27-Apr-2008, 11:33
This camera is a pleasure to use. This must be a silly question, I can't figure what are these two metallic parts at the bottom of the back used for ? Neckstrap ? ;)

tim atherton
27-Apr-2008, 12:08
I think it's just for an elasticated darkcloth hood to hook onto (the explorer back is thinner/sleeker than the Compact II as it's non rotating).

I can't remember if it might protect something as well - perhaps when closed up?

Jimmy Peguet
27-Apr-2008, 14:11
Yes Tim, must be something like that.

John Powers
28-Apr-2008, 16:51
Just to satisfy my curiosity, Oren, thank you. I've just found a nice Explorer (the same Michael described, unfortunately without levels and bail, but nothing really important here) and was curious about improvements from a batch to another. Should be exactly what I was looking for.

Jimmy,

If you can catch Dick between retirement trips he can add a bail and levels. I have an 8x10 Advantage series from about 1993. I told him that I really liked the bail on my 7x17. He added a bail and an additional level to the Advantage. Of course shipping round trip from France can add to the price.

John

Jimmy Peguet
28-Apr-2008, 23:34
I thought that Dick was completely retired (I wrote to him some weeks ago, but I guess he and his wife were on the road). I'm afraid that shipping to the USA and back home will be in the 300$ range, too expensive for a desirable but minor modification. But I would like to get some spare parts : I can't use my Sinar/Toyo adapter, the upper part doesn't lock because of the board washers, so I need a second part to modify it : if Dick could provide one, it would be nice.

I also wonder about the reliability of the focusing knob U-joint. As it is a small and delicate part and that it should not be easy to find one here if necessary, maybe it would be careful to get a spare one. The camera is simple and very well built, it should be very reliable and last many years without any problem. Are there some parts more fragile over the time than another on this clever machine ?

John Powers
29-Apr-2008, 05:58
Are there some parts more fragile over the time than another on this clever machine ?

Jimmy,

I would write Dick again and ask this specific question. When he added the bail to my 1993 Advantage he mentioned that there were some small parts for that model that wear out or get lost. I bought them and put them in a drawer safe for the day of need.

John

Clyde Rogers
29-Apr-2008, 06:30
I talked to Dick a couple months ago, and he's not quite retired---he has enough 4x5 bellows in stock that he's planning another run of 4x5 cameras late this year. He's planning on shooting for the summer and building the cameras when it starts getting cold. Figure on December delivery for the last run of Phillips cameras before the shop closes up.

He is currently selling parts (lens boards and such), get your spares while you can! I expect you can add the missing levels with parts from Dick and a little silicon.

Until later,

Clyde Rogers

Jimmy Peguet
29-Apr-2008, 06:41
I recently wrote to (erased) is it his right address now ?

Oren Grad
29-Apr-2008, 07:28
I recently wrote to rhphill@sbcglobal.net, is it his right address now ?

I don't remember whether that's his current address, but it doesn't matter - Dick isn't really big on email. Much better to call or snail-mail.

John Powers
29-Apr-2008, 08:02
Jimmy,

That is the correct email address. IMHO it is better not to post email addresses as the spammers tend to pick them up and torment the recipient.

After a bit of thought about my own 7x17 Explorer I would ask Dick for the knob that tightens or locks the focus shaft and the tiny soft white balls that go in that knob's screw hole. One day I went to focus and discovered that the tightening knob had disappeared since I had last used it. The white ball also fell out when there was nothing to hold it in place.

The levels that Dick is selling now have little holes for wood screws. The advantage over silicon, I would think, is that they may be easier to replace if the levels ever dry up or get broken. If you use any camera hard things do break. I am working on a book and the editors want to look at a minimum of 100 images. With bracketing, an occasional poor selection and mistakes that is a lot of 7x17 film and perhaps hard use on the camera.

Having knocked over the 8x10 by accident once and broken the ground glass I have bought a spare gg in both sizes. On trips I store them in the car. You might want to buy the gg locally though as it may be too fragile to ship that far. Argus or Geert is a sponsor over on APUG http://www.sheetfilm.be/ . He makes and sells GG in Belgium. He has also made his own 7x17 camera. Maybe he can help.

John

Jimmy Peguet
29-Apr-2008, 08:13
Ooops, I forgot the spammers :-( If the moderator could quickly erase my post and Oren's answer...) Is the snail mail address the same than on old Michael's Explorer review ?

Edited : I erased Dick's address on my previous post, I had no access to the "Edit" button this morning.

John Powers
29-Apr-2008, 09:52
Snail mail address sent to Jimmy by PM

John